Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bear spray malfunction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 6:52 pm 
Staff at Many Glacier (GNP) re-routed us this past July when someone accidentally deployed bear spray on Swiftcurrent Lake trail. Area was kept clear until radioed staff appeared at the scene with the “bear spray clean up kit” which was a mop and bucket of water rotf.gif . The damp area on the ground was mopped and hikers allowed to pass through. You could feel the spray presence in the air when breathing.

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 11:18 pm 
There's nothing like those long stretches alone thru HEAVY bear presence areas right at twilight cursin' at yourself for spilling that can of tuna all over the pack earlier. Oh well too late now!! Who cares!! Time to just GRIP that bear spray HARD and settle in for a rough night of GRIPPIN' the bear spray HARD due to noises outside the tent

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 11:29 am 
When I first got my bear spray, I was too cheap to buy the holster to put it in. I just slipped it in the water bottle pocket of my pack. One day when I was hiking, I dropped something, and as I leaned down to pick it up, the bear spray tumbled out of my pack. The top of the canister hit a rock, dislodged the safety, and caused it to squirt out a puff of spray. I was in the process of leaning down as this all happened, and was taking a nice deep breath in. Oh my. That was quite a surprise. I can only imagine what it was like discharging in the car! Yuck! Hope it didn't stick with your car for a long period of time!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com

thunderhead
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 4:05 pm 
My hiking friend bought the 2 pack of the compact bear spray at Cabella's for about 30 bucks and gave me one. I only carry it in Idaho and Montana and sometimes not even then. I am not that scared of bears anymore, mainly I just make sure they are aware of my presence....luckily I sneeze REALLY loud, likely scare pretty much everything away for quite a distance.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 4:27 pm 
At Sunrise on the WT two years ago: we were approached by a woman asking us if we wanted her bear spray. We declined (who needs it on the WT?). About 10 min later we noticed the women's restroom was closed due to a can of bear spray being emptied inside. We had a good laugh and could not for the life of us imagine why someone would do that.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 4:47 pm 
We bought some at MEC in Ottawa where you go through the same procedure as to buy a pistol. We were talking with the clerk and he said a lady came in and asked if she should spray her kids before hiking in bear country.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

day_hike_mike, Joseph, Chief Joseph