Forum Index > Trail Talk > Upper South Fork Skok bridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Salal

Salal
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 7:20 pm 
Has anyone heard anything about the forest service replacing the washed-out bridge (well any of multiple bridges really) on the Upper South Fork Skok trail? The second log bridge which washed out some 15 years ago, just a mile from the upper trailhead. WTA fixed up a convenient fallen cedar to act as a bridge but between 15 years of use on its part, and 15 years of aging on mine, I really don't want to cross it anymore. My balance is not so good anymore, and the wood is getting slick, and the rootwad is eroding away. Was a time I'd hoist my dogs up onto the log and we'd all trot across. I won't take dogs on it anymore and I actually got down and scootched my way across last time I tried. A few years ago (!) I saw a group from the Forest Service out there and they said they were looking at a replacement but that was a few years ago, and nothing. That bridge is gone, the one by Laney Camp is gone, the third log bridge 2 miles in is gone, I think there used to be one at Startup Creek, the first log bridge on Rule Creek won't last forever ... I guess it took 20 years for the Park Service to replace the Staircase Loop bridge so there's a few years to go still before I could reasonably get impatient - grr. Anyone know anything?

kill your tv and get out there doing something
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 am 
I recall RodF commenting a couple of years ago that the Back Country Horsemen’s Association was going to put in a new bridge where the second one used to be; the one after Rule Creek. It hasn’t happened yet, as of last year when I last hiked the trail. I wonder if things fell through.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 11:12 am 
Salal: I dayhiked it last year and there is a big log there now that is a bit tricky to cross. I hiked up to McGreavy Lakes about 5 years back and don`t remember any other difficult crossings.

Salal

Salal
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 6:06 pm 
Yes, that "big log" has been pressed into service as a bridge for too long now. I have been using it from day one of its being jury-rigged after the bridge washed away. It was only meant to be temporary and it's getting more dicey every year. And "tricky" and "difficult" are very subjective terms. What was fine 15 years younger ago, is not so good now. One person's tricky crossing can be a total barrier to someone else. I wonder about the BCHM. There was always a horse ford there since stock can't use the old log bridge style. Some places they've constructed bridges that horses can use too, but they tend to be pretty big of course! and with tall thick rails, I guess to keep the horses from shying, but they prevent me from being able to see the river I'm crossing. It would be quite a job to build a bridge over that crossing that would be suitable for horses.

kill your tv and get out there doing something