Forum Index > Trip Reports > Little JBerg aka (Arches) 9/11/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 6:05 pm 
Little JBerg 7945' This cool and steep looking peak is easily seen from Easy pass yet doesn't get climbed very often. Since the original register says, Little JBerg, I'm going with that name. Not sure where Arches comes from. Ever since I did Fisher and Arriva Pks in the fall season, I knew I'd wait for fall to visit Little JBerg, the Fisher Creek basin is gorgeous with the fall colors arriving. Another reason, I really wanted to do this peak this past Sat was that I knew it was one of the last summit registers that Jake Robinson had signed. I really wanted to see it before his celebration of life service the next day. Josh H and I started off from the Easy pass TH at 545am on Sat by headlamp, but mine soon went out. I didn't want to stop and change the batteries, so I let my eyes get used to do dark and it wasn't so bad, sunrise wasn't far away anyways. We reached Easy pass to a view across the valley to our objective, that steep North face is impressive. We then had to drop down to the awesome Fisher Cr valley as the clouds were trying to go away on the surrounding peaks.
clouds on Logan
clouds on Logan
We grabbed water in the valley as we headed up towards the East ramp for access to the peak. Vegetation soon disappeared as we found boulders and choss going up the ramp. No ice ax or crampons were brought and we didn't need them, not much left over snow this year.
Fisher Pk from the basin
Fisher Pk from the basin
We found that travel on the heather and solid slabs was the preferred way of travel as we aimed for the 7400' notch. The loosest ground was just before the notch but it was at least short. From the notch, we saw the summit along with great views of Arriva and Logan.
Little JBerg
Little JBerg
We dropped 50' or so before making a rising traverse over to the rib directly below the summit. Josh and I found different ways to get up there and by that, we kept rock fall at a minimum. We reached the summit to amazing views, thinking that it would be nice to hang glide back to Easy pass, haha. We found the register and it was an original Roper one from 53 yrs ago. Such a treat seeing that but also seeing that Selena and Jake were the last to sign in a little over a year ago. They were the 22nd party to sign in, Josh and I were #23. Very cool to see familiar names but I definitely thought of Jake at this summit.
Little JBerg register
Little JBerg register
one of the last J Robinson entries in a register
one of the last J Robinson entries in a register
looking straight down to Fisher Basin
looking straight down to Fisher Basin
small lake below Arriva
small lake below Arriva
We stayed at the summit for almost an hour watching the clouds mostly disappear around the surrounding peaks. This spots in the Cascades is certainly one of "the best views ever" (a Jake quote) Josh and I eventually left and found a slightly different way to get down, so there are a couple safe scramble options on this peak. We headed down to the valley, grabbed some more water before the 1400' gain back up to Easy pass. Several parties were there hiking as we got one last view of Little JBerg as the clouds were coming in. We cruised down the trail and made it back to the TH for a couple ice cold beers after another great day in the mountains.
Buckner to Logan
Buckner to Logan
Vulcan above, Character below
Vulcan above, Character below
Kitling across the valley
Kitling across the valley
Black in the distance over Arriva
Black in the distance over Arriva
Greybeard Pk
Greybeard Pk
Mesahchie Pk
Mesahchie Pk
last look at Little JBerg
last look at Little JBerg
15.25 miles 7300' elevation gain 9 hrs

Eric Eames

pwrobinson, Nancyann, Route Loser, jbaillie, Off Route Randy, rstoddard24, neek, reststep, Gimpilator, rubywrangler, Josh Journey, Prosit, Tom, GeoTom, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 6:29 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
clouds on Logan
clouds on Logan
Love this moody shot. Incredible about the Roper register in such good-looking condition, and very cool to see Jake's name, as always.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 8:00 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
Little JBerg
Little JBerg
Looks like a little Jberg indeed. Always a pleasure to see views of Mount Logan. Thanks for sharing the summit register of Jake and Selena. up.gif up.gif

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 8:14 pm 
Really cool TR and a nice looking peak! My days of slogging up and over Easy Pass may not be over after all…

iron

iron
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 10:30 pm 
last peak in the valley? the tack??? really nice shot looking straight down to the valley. pretty steep. amazing how much of logan/outpost glacier has disappeared. in a few hundred years, that'll all be vegetated and not a single sign of snow anywhere.

silence

silence
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 am 
Great shots!! Thanks for posting.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 6:04 pm 
iron wrote:
last peak in the valley?
just about, sadly. that peak you did a few yrs ago (outthere, pk 7112) seems like a good one to climb someday, and i'd save it for a perfect day with those possible great views.

Eric Eames
Off Route Randy

Off Route Randy
PostWed Sep 15, 2021 1:24 pm 
Nice trip and great moving time as always! Thanks for bringing back some good memories!

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 11:35 am 
Cool trip Eric! Well done as always....

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 3:34 pm 
Sick peak Eric! rocker.gif I love lil j-berg it's one of the easier of the obscure peaks out there! Fisher creek valley is definitely one of my favs! Cheers mane! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

Off Route Randy
pwrobinson

pwrobinson
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 10:03 pm 
Thanks Eric. Really I can't thank you enough. Appreciate you for keeping Jake in your heart. You all were in his for sure. So glad I found this trip report.

Off Route Randy