Forum Index > Gear Talk > Dark Sky Weather - is it pinpoint, or nearest station?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 12:02 pm 
When using an inreach and zoleo, I sometimes ping for a weather forecast. I know that they are pretty crude forecasts and of course PNW weather forecasts should be salted heavily, but in recent years I have questioned if the forecast is tailored for my actual location or the nearest station - like when it says "Spokane" or "Manson" - but you're actually several thousand feet higher and miles away. The answer can partly be sussed out with logic, but it's not always obvious to me. I'm sure someone can answer that in a jiff?

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Sep 16, 2021 8:20 pm 
You can checkout Dark Sky Net to see the forecast for specific locations. It’s does not appear to be “granular” but the accuracy may still be limited. Apple recently purchased dark sky, so the future availability on other platforms (Google Store) may be limited in the future.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
ejain

ejain
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 4:25 pm 
It's definitely more granular than "nearest forecast office", and also more granular than the resolution of whatever models the forecast is based on (12km, at best). So I'm assuming that at the very least elevation and exposure are used to adjust the forecast temperature and wind etc for a given spot.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 4:59 pm 
Used it in the JMT and PCT and North Cascades this summer and it seemed pretty accurate. NOAA is good for the first few days after you leave but all long range forecasts seem like climatology queries.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Sep 23, 2021 8:43 pm 
What you want to know is where the location is. As in the location of user queries. What you have to understand is that is the desired forecast location.

brewermd

brewermd
PostFri Sep 24, 2021 8:46 am 
I use MountainForecast looking at the closest mountain in the options as well as Windy.com where I can pinpoint my location by clicking on the map and of course NOAA. Using windy I can look at the current and projected forecasts for rain, wind, snow and smoke. I am sure there are many options out there, these are just what I use.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Sep 25, 2021 8:47 am 
brewermd wrote:
Using windy I can look at the current and projected forecasts for rain, wind, snow and smoke.
Windy is mostly used by Sailors. When a high pressure zone sits over the San Juan’s for a week, it simply an app that taunts you with 2 mph winds forecasts

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
brewermd

brewermd
PostTue Sep 28, 2021 9:57 am 
Like I said, this is just what I use. You do you.