gb

gb
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:17 pm 
Kelsey Plum #1 draft pick WNBA up.gif up.gif up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 4:19 pm 
Beat me to it. Speculation that she might be traded. Congrats to her, best wishes as she starts her professional career. up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 pm 
UW has announced their new coach--Jody Wynn from Long Beach St. Has head coaching experience, former player and assistant coach at USC. LBSU nearly upset Oregon St. in the first round of the Tournament this year. Appears to be a solid hire. Now let the rebuilding begin.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 9:38 pm 
Bumping this old thread. Plum just had a fantastic game tonight, scored a career high 32 points on 11-16 shooting, looked pretty much like the college version of herself. Her pro career has been up and down, there have been some big struggles, but other times when she looks solid (especially during the 2019 playoffs when she played great). She missed all of last season after rupturing her Achilles tendon right before the season started. 2 games into this year she went to Europe to participate in a 3X3 tournament playing for the US National team. So she missed some games and then took a few games to get her rhythm back. She's not starting, but she's been scoring consistently in double digits coming off the bench (except for 2 bad games right after she got back). It was fun reading thru this thread. We were right about Aari McDonald having a lot of potential. She turned out to be a fantastic player...unfortunately it wasn't at UW. She transferred to Arizona after her Fr. year and led that program to a rapid rise after being completely in the dumps. Finished her Sr. year playing for a National Championship, where they came up just short against Stanford. I thought McDonald was by far the best player during the course of the Tourney. As it turns out Jody Wynn was a horrible hire, had 4 terrible years at UW before getting canned. New coach can't possibly be worse. She's bringing in some significant transfers and has fans hopeful for the future.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jun 18, 2021 2:36 pm 
Another update. Plum's next game wasn't quite as electric as the previous, but she led the team in both scoring (18) and assists (7) in another blowout win. She's averaging just under 13 pts/game, well above her career average. Also scoring more than either of the starting guards on the team. She's scored in double figures in 5 out of 7 games this year, and the 2 she didn't I think she gets a pass because she was readjusting after the 3X3 tournament. Maybe she's finally finding her niche.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 5:45 pm 
Another bump. Well first of all Plum went to Tokyo and came back with a Gold Medal for 3X3. She led all scorers during the Olympics. WNBA regular season just ended. Plum was great down the stretch, consistently scoring 20+, often leading the team. Despite not starting a single game she had the second highest scoring average on the team, she bumped it up to 14.8 ppg. And the Aces are loaded w/ talent, it's not like there aren't other scorers on the team. They finished w/ the 2nd best record in the league and now get a double bye in the playoffs, so they're automatically in the semi finals. She led all reserves in the league in scoring, it would be a fairly big surprise if she doesn't get the 6th woman of the year award. She also could very well win most improved and/or comeback player awards. I didn't get to watch very many games, most were on channels I don't have. I did see a handful of them. Somebody on You Tube posts highlights for individual players for just about every game it appears, so I was able to check out what she was doing even in games I didn't see live. She really does look like the college version of herself, making a lot of defenders look silly and scoring in a variety of ways. So glad to see her being successful.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 9:45 pm 
The Aces are tied at 2-2 w/ the Mercury in their semifinals series. It's been a weird series. Aces won a high scoring Game 1, then got absolutely blown out in Game 2 and 3. Bounced back to win Game 4 handily tonight. Series returns to Las Vegas for the deciding Game 5 on Friday. Both teams have won one on their opponents home court. Plum is having a good series. 25 points in each of the first 2 games, had an off Game 3, and another 20 tonight. Efficient scoring, some good assist numbers too. She's kinda been getting abused on defense though. The Mercury players have been shooting over her or driving on her a lot. Kent native (and Gonzaga alum) Courtney Vandersloot has helped lead her Chicago Sky team to a big upset of the team w/ the best record during the regular season. They are on to the Finals, awaiting the winner of this other series.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 08, 2021 9:09 pm 
Well dang it. A great game, but the Aces come up on the short end of the score. Diana Taurasi, probably the greatest player ever, did some more of what she does, took over the 4th quarter and willed her team to a win. Plum had another strong game, and seemed a lot better on defense in this one. 22 points, 7 in the 4th quarter and sparked the Aces when they hit a lull. She led her team in scoring in the playoffs by a healthy margin, and I would say was easily their most consistent player.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Nov 27, 2021 5:36 pm 
Well it's early in the new coach's tenure, but this already looks like it's gonna be another long season. The Dawgs just can't score. Averaging 53 ppg, off to a 2-3 start. Have been held to 47 and 37 the last 2 games. Just don't have enough decent players on the roster. My goodness, it's so frustrating. It really wasn't that long ago that Plum was here and UW was a good team, but it's already getting hard to remember when the team didn't stink.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 11:16 pm 
Here we are almost February, Huskies still looking for a win in conference and sitting in last place. They've kept most of their games close, but they just can't finish it off. Absolutely gave the game away tonight against the Cougs w/ maybe the worst FT shooting display in Division 1 history. 6-18 in regulation, game went to OT, that never should've happened. Just for good measure they missed 3 more in the extra session to finish 6-21 and lost by 4. I think you can find a bunch of 5 years olds who can barely get the ball up to the rim who could shoot 6-21 from the charity stripe. I streamed a few of the games early on, currently I don't have Pac 12 Network so I haven't been able to watch lately, but I'm about at the point of giving up on the program. 5 straight years of stinking is no fun at all. I didn't expect a miracle from the new coach, but nothing about this year is giving me hope that she is going to turn things around any time soon. For examples of just how much of a positive impact a new coach can have, both Oklahoma and LSU are massively improved from last season, with much of the same rosters. Coaching does matter. But Langley isn't good enough to win w/ the roster she has here.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 06, 2022 2:23 pm 
Bumping this again. WNBA season is off and running. I heard a few comments from Plum in interviews, it seems like she didn't view coming off the bench all year as an option after last season. Aces got rid of that bum Bill Laimbeer, who I think was misusing Kelsey her whole career. Brought in Becky Hammon. The Aces are thriving, leading the league in scoring, best record in the league, several of their players are easily on pace for career best seasons. Plum is flourishing. She's currently second in the league in scoring at just a hair under 20 ppg. Also in the top 5 in assists, 3 point shooting percentage, she's leading everybody in made 3 point FG. It's only about 1/3 of the way thru the season and she's already just about hit her career best for made 3's in a season. She's going to set career bests in just about every offensive category at this rate. She also just won Western Conference Player of the Week. She seems like a shoo in for the All Star game.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 31, 2022 2:42 pm 
WNBA regular season is nearing an end. Plum has continued to be outstanding all year long. She was named the All Star Game MVP after scoring 30 points (I think that tied the most in ASG history). Recently the Aces were in the Commissioner's Cup game, which doesn't count toward the standings but everybody on the winning team gets a nice cash bonus. Las Vegas won and Kelsey led all scorers. She's still sitting at #2 in the league in scoring. She's going back and forth with all time great Taurasi for most made 3 pointers. She's up to 94, she's a shoe in to get to 100. Taurasi is the only player in league history to make 100 3's in a season (she's done it twice). Plum is on a particular hot streak currently, the last 2 games she's hit 17-23 field goals. Aces currently have the second best record in the league.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 14, 2022 2:43 pm 
Regular season concludes today. Vegas just locked up the #1 seed in the playoffs. Several players made a run at it, but Plum finishes at #2 in scoring at 20.2 ppg. Her 113 made 3 pointers is second most in a season ever. just a great season for her. MVP almost certainly is between Plum's teammate A'ja Wilson and the Storm's Breanna Stewart, but Plum is legitimately being mentioned as a candidate. It will be shocking if she isn't named 1st Team All WNBA. Several other very deserving players, but she also could be named Most Improved Player. Playoffs start later this week.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 18, 2022 3:46 pm 
Plum is now a WNBA Champion! Aces survived a very tough series against the Sun. Plum was a bit up and down during the playoffs, but she had some big moments. She was 3rd in the MVP voting and was First Team All WNBA.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:22 am 
Continuing to add to her trophy case, she was a member of the U.S. National Team that just cruised to the FIBA World Cup Gold Medal in Australia. I didn't even realize she also got a Gold in the World Cup in 2018, but she surely had a bigger role with the team this time. First guard off the bench, I think she finished w/ the second highest scoring average on the team. Bird and Taurasi and a few others have finally been put out to pasture (some of them probably shouldn't have been on the last Olympics team). This new, younger version of the National Team got after it on defense and dominated most of their opponents. On a side note, Lauren Jackson made a come back many years after retirement and played for Australia. In the Bronze Medal game she turned the clock back about 15 years and looked like vintage LJ, really cool to see her on the court doing her thing again. Had a great career as it was, but was cut short by a good 5 years or more due to injuries. edit--another UW alum played for Australia, Sami Whitcomb. She's from California, but became a citizen of Australia a while ago while she was playing in the pro league there.