Forum Index > Trail Talk > Giant Sequoia wrapped in aluminum foil by firefighters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 7:34 pm 
https://wildfiretoday.com

Off trail rambler

Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 10:27 pm 
Thanks for the link--the photo of the firefighters wrapping General Sherman is a lot more impressive than the photos in the press just showing the tree with what looks like an insignificant (compared to the tree) amount of foil at its base. Let's hope this works!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 10:43 pm 
WWCD (what would Christo do?)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gregory

Gregory
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 6:14 am 
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 am 
This is the KNP Complex fire. Red paddle marker near top of the map is at the General Sherman tree. Red/black line is perimeter determined by infrared analyst from IR flight last night at 11:50pm.
View larger size in new window

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 11:14 am 
Sequoia is a special place to me. In my NPS years I did quite a bit of work there and I've had some truly amazing experiences there. I was last there in May on weekdays and had some trails in the Giant Forest almost to myself; I saw as many bears as people. (Poor bears). The photo of the General Sherman tree made me emotional. Sorry about climate change, here's a bit of foil, good luck. As everyone probably knows while fire was historically necessary, the intense fires of the past few years have led to significant sequoia mortality, and the fires are also destroying the cones, which means there are few seedlings able to grow. Good info on that here. https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/wildfires-kill-unprecedented-numbers-of-large-sequoia-trees.htm From my May trip.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 11:28 am 
kiliki, that photo made me emotional as well. It just seemed to be a powerful story of time and place. My experience with the Sequoias was not major, but visits before we began hikes into Hamilton Lakes and points east.

Off trail rambler
altasnob

altasnob
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 11:44 am 
Aren't sequoias one of those tree species who need fire in order for their seeds to be exposed and proliferate? I understand fires today burn hotter and longer than in the past, and it is a shame to lose the old giants. But fires don't burn hot across the board so maybe this fire is exactly what the sequoias need to thrive in other areas of the park that don't get completely scorched.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 4:28 pm 
Swetnam 1993 demonstrated that thirty years was the longest period without fire in any of five sequoia groves for more than 2,000 years. These fire scar records also show that many of these same groves have now experienced more than 100 years without fire under modern management policies (Swetnam 1993). (* didn't even have to get very far into the document to find what I was looking for. *) Nobody should be surprised by the current fire activity in any of the forests of the western half of the north American continent. Enjoy 'em while you can. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 2:49 pm 
Also, weyco often has sequoia seedlings for sale. They grow well in Randle. The ranger station's historically significant ccc built shop was having problems with the planted by ccc sequoias, which were about six feet in diameter. The foundation of the building was in danger. The trees were felled. There are still a couple left standing on the compound and they seem to be quite healthy. I planted a few on my place there and they were happy with the site. They aren't going extinct.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 2:51 pm 
The foil has a bit of insulation in it, I believe.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities