Forum Index > Trail Talk > About that orange paint/flagging across WT3/2/1
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 2:07 pm 
It will surely be a mess come winter. Nice view of the old dump. The “ timber” stacked by the road looks like it might be suitable for fence posts or diapers. rolleyes.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 8:21 am 
My wife said, "It looks like they flayed the mountain." Yep.

If not now, when?
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 5:53 pm 
WT3 Summit today

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 5:58 pm 

JimK

JimK
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 7:20 pm 
Looks not too unlike West Tiger 3 some 37 years ago.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 7:33 pm 
Yep, and I suspect again around 2060.

Navy salad
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 10:06 am 
We went up Sec Ln to RR grade and over to Cable and up a couple of days ago. Coming down, just off the top, we walked the 30 feet over to the WT3 trail with a clear view up to WT2. The only thing taller than 3 feet around WT2 was the tower and a couple of humongous earth eating machines. WT2 was razed down to the WT2 bypass (TMT) trail. It was eerily post apocalyptic.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 10:09 am 
Randito wrote:
https://www.issaquahalps.org/articles/2021/8/24/tiger-mountain-harvest-update-weyerhaeuser-to-open-west-tiger-mountain-ownership-for-permanent-public-access

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 11:08 am 
Kascadia wrote:
Randito wrote:
https://www.issaquahalps.org/articles/2021/8/24/tiger-mountain-harvest-update-weyerhaeuser-to-open-west-tiger-mountain-ownership-for-permanent-public-access
Reading through the carefully worded press release, I verbiage about preserving public access and sustainable trails. There is also verbiage about maintaining "working forests". There isn't anything specific about transferring the acreage just harvested into public ownership.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 6:55 pm 
Randito wrote:
Kascadia wrote:
Randito wrote:
Reading through the carefully worded press release, I verbiage about preserving public access and sustainable trails. There is also verbiage about maintaining "working forests". There isn't anything specific about transferring the acreage just harvested into public ownership.
Indeed it is carefully worded, they did a good job wink.gif . It is my understanding the "permanent public access" means it will not be harvested again, although they will continue to maintain access to the towers. I agree that clarification is a good thing.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 10:37 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
Indeed it is carefully worded, they did a good job wink.gif . It is my understanding the "permanent public access" means it will not be harvested again, although they will continue to maintain access to the towers. I agree that clarification is a good thing.
From the Weyerhaeuser website (emphasis added)
Quote:
Tiger Mountain is a unique place where many uses come together: conservation in some areas, sustainable timber harvest in others, recreational activities, and environmental protection of headwater streams for salmon. We value our decades-long history of collaboration with public land management agencies and private landowners like Weyerhaeuser to achieve a positive mix of public and environmental benefits on the landscape."
https://investor.weyerhaeuser.com/2021-08-16-Weyerhaeuser-to-Open-West-Tiger-Mountain-Ownership-for-Permanent-Public-Access So my interpretation is that while Weyerhaeuser is committed to having public access on the property it owns indefinitely. However it does sound like it will be retaining the option to harvest timber in a manner characterized as "sustainable". Who gets to decide what is "sustainable" isn't defined. It seems to me that they could harvest in another 40-50 years , but leave a margin around the hiking trails that exist at that time. Or perhaps a short term closure during harvest and trail restoration after the harvest would be considered OK. My thinking is that if their intent was to never harvest again, they would transfer ownership of the land to a public agency (state parks, dnr or something) so that they no long have to pay property taxes on it (even at the super low property taxes levied on forest lands) I believe the area around the WT3 summit has be harvested twice before. Perhaps the 4th harvest will be something that annoy my grandkids when they are middle aged.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Oct 10, 2021 11:47 am 
They seems to have gone out of their way to break up the boulder I've been sitting on at the top of WT3 since 1992. And the silvered snag on which I've stretched my hamstrings thousands of times. Both of these things were destroyed after all the trees were down and the slash piles removed. I don't get it or the person I mistakenly spoke to up there who couldn't stop gushing about how "awesome" it is now. It turns my stomach that we are still denuding mountain tops like this when we know better and there are less harmful alternatives. And those myriad DNR signs about staying on trails to 'protect the environment' in similar forests...they mean nothing other than some narrow-minded, righteous fool wants people to use their rock-hard, over-switchbacked new trail. No trail I've ever seen in the Cascades anywhere, including alpine meadows, wrought anything close to the damage done atop Tiger (and over at Poo Poo and...). sigh

If not now, when?
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Oct 10, 2021 3:38 pm 
My language would probably get me banned. It just looks like wanton destruction for no good reason other than barely marketable timber. It almost seems like the local trail groups were offered compensation for “restoration” as they never raised a stink. Like CC I have only seen this sort of thing in remote places in Canada.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 10, 2021 9:12 pm 
It will be reforested. The method is not new and has worked well in the PNW. We grow trees quite well on the west side of the state as long as the ground isn't paved over or built on. It is sustainable because it will be replanted and will have to meet stocking/survival requirements. Washington State has very restrictive rules to follow. Clearcutting and replanting is a hell of a lot better for the environment than the ever growing sprawl we have going in the west. Maybe some of you who are the most vocal about this might talk to a forester or silviculturist who was involved? You might learn a bit from that. Try learning instead of constantly bitching.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Oct 11, 2021 7:31 am 
What a weird thread. huh.gif So now I will tell you what I think, and maybe it will get even weirder! I think the biggest problem around here is how much time and effort it takes to get to alpine meadows and views. So people drive long distances and pile up at the trails that make for reasonable day hikes to views. A lot of gas gets burned! Folks here have pointed out that you used to be able to get panoramic views from the Tiger summits after earlier clearcuts. As those views have declined, so has the desirability of these trails, even as usage has stayed high due to a higher population. I think Weyerhauser did this primarily to create views for the public near to Seattle. The timber cost more to harvest than it is worth, right? Why would a for-profit company do that? I bet they make enough money off the leases for the towers that there is no financial penalty in the long run for keeping this land whether it produces timber or not. Maybe a tower operator informed Weyerhauser that the trees were starting to make the site less valuable. I bet they put up a couple of signboards that would make Treeswarper quite happy, all about what great corporate citizens they are and how important tree harvesting is to our general well being. winksmile.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir