Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thename

thename
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 8:05 pm 
Quick trip to see the larch progress up to Sunrise Lake off Foggy Dew. Chilly evening served up the total delight of wolves howling on the ridges around.

ozzy, neek, Chief Joseph
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostWed Sep 22, 2021 6:15 am 
Guye, Lundin, and Snoqualmie. My previous hike up Guye only went as far as the north summit, so I wanted to hit the main. Crux is coming down the other side of the north summit, which is easier than it looks, maybe class 4. Lundin west ridge was a bit spicier (~15 ft of exposed class 4) and then you've got that plaque on top as a reminder of what can go wrong. Ran the ridge all the way to Snoqualmie, including the gendarme at the end, which was also a little exposed, but could probably be gone around on either side. Day started out crystal clear but by afternoon smoke from the east started to roll in.
Guye crux
Guye crux
Lundin
Lundin
Kendall
Kendall
Airplane wreckage noted [url=http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=894475]here[/url]
Airplane wreckage noted here
Lundin west ridge. When in doubt go around to the left
Lundin west ridge. When in doubt go around to the left
Ridge to Snoqualmie
Ridge to Snoqualmie
Went over the top of this
Went over the top of this
from the other side
from the other side

Cyclopath, BensonM, ozzy, Anne Elk, RichP, Nancyann, thename, zimmertr, fffej50, awilsondc
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Sep 22, 2021 12:27 pm 
That looks like a challenging, but rewarding day trip neek. Pretty rough terrain as evidenced by the plane crash and the climber’s memorial plaque! Tuesday was an exceptionally beautiful day to be up at Sunrise celebrating 50 years of hiking together with my best girlfriend!
Sunrise 9/21/21
Sunrise 9/21/21

Cyclopath, Downhill, ozzy, Anne Elk, Chief Joseph, HikingBex, RichP, Randy, zimmertr, Tom
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Sep 27, 2021 4:49 pm 
Had a fun day trip up to Hannegan Peak with Hiking Partner and my little brother, who I also have been hiking with for over 50 years, if you count all the trips Dad dragged us around to. wink.gif I believe one of our first dayhikes together was up and back to Waptus Lake, about 18 miles, without flashlights or headlamps, great fun coming back in the dark. lol.gif This was a rare visit for me to the north side of Mt. Baker, due to the long drive, but my brother, who lives on Camano Island and visits Baker often, promised I would love it. He was right, the views and fall colors were fabulous, and a grand time was had by all! The vine maple was in peak color.
The huckleberry bushes on the side of Hannegan Peak were so bright red it was almost surreal.
The territorial views into North Cascades were splendid!
We had spectacular views of the Ruth Glacier and the north side of Mt. Shuksan as we reached the summit of Hannegan Peak.
Still hiking together after 50 years.
The evening light was lovely as we hiked back down.
As usual, we got back in the dark, this time with headlamps and flashlights, always trying to make the most out of an amazing day. One of the highlights of our trip was dinner at Frosty’s Cafe in Maple Falls, where we had a delicious dinner despite the fact that we showed up right as the restaurant was closing, and they graciously served us anyway. Thanks Frosty’s!

Cyclopath, ozzy, HikingBex, Chief Joseph, awilsondc, reststep, fourteen410, RichP, Slim, Prosit, Tom, neek
Dick B

Dick B
PostTue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 am 
This post falls into "this really bugs me" category. It goes along with "why do people pack a 6 pack of beer into a destination and not bother to pack out the empties?" This happens to do with dogs. I have no problem with dogs on trails if under control. It has to do more with the owners. We took a short hike to some falls on the Deschutes Sunday. A dutiful owner had scooped up their dog's poop, put it in a plastic bag and left it along side the trail. It was a short dead end trail and no other hikers around, so I assume the owner and already left the scene. So there was the dog's contribution safely enclosed in the owners bag left for someone else to police up. I don't see a problem of just kicking the remains under a bush and letting nature take it's course.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Sep 28, 2021 6:46 pm 
Tuesday trail run. A quick conditions check underneath Tucquala Peak (6821') along the old trail to the north and west of Scatter Creek. As expected, light to moderate rain most of the way up. First glimpse of snow at 5500' and a couple inches at 5800' where I turned around after getting thoroughly soaked. Snowing heavily at that point. The coming sun and warmer temps should melt the snow and offer up some great October mountain travel.

ozzy, awilsondc, Chief Joseph
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Sep 28, 2021 8:27 pm 
Randy wrote:
First glimpse of snow at 5500' and a couple inches at 5800' where I turned around after getting thoroughly soaked. Snowing heavily at that point.
Oh for Heaven's sake! Yikes. Already? ~z

Chief Joseph
jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 12:35 pm 
Did one night at Monogram Lake and the next night up on the ridge over the weekend. It was my fiancé's first time in North Cascades National Park, and it was both a stunning and grueling introduction to the park. It seemed fitting.
We started late and barely made it up here in time for sunset. Wish I had gotten here a few minutes earlier!
We started late and barely made it up here in time for sunset. Wish I had gotten here a few minutes earlier!
On our second day heading up the ridge from the lake I tried to get clever and avoid the scramble by climbing and traversing steep grassy slopes - is there an ice axe equivalent for this kind of terrain dizzy.gif - going up 1,300 feet took us almost two hours when it should have taken half an hour. Oh well. We ran into a couple of skiers up at 6,100 feet (they were awesome, hope they had a great time), and we eventually made our way to the high point of the ridge. The original plan was to descend to the glacial lake, but my fiancé was exhausted both physically and mentally, so we made camp instead and enjoyed the glorious views before sunset. The light went away half an hour before sunset which was a bit of a bummer but it's hard to complain when we were fortunate in so many other ways.
Monogram Lake
Monogram Lake
Baker and Bacon
Baker and Bacon
Pickets
Pickets
Sunrise was very neat, lots of clouds and fog swirling around. We came down on the climber's path, and while I don't love the exposure (still working on my fear of heights, have come a long way) it's quick and easy to follow. The rain started just before we got back to the car. My knees were hurting by that point, but the mileage is fairly low, and as a bonus our car didn't get broken into.
The first of many glories
The first of many glories
Heading down the ridge back to the car
Heading down the ridge back to the car
We saw a few Brocken Spectres going down, this was the best one. They did not last very long.
We saw a few Brocken Spectres going down, this was the best one. They did not last very long.
Partway down the scramble
Partway down the scramble
The skiers coming down the scramble
The skiers coming down the scramble

Cyclopath, abkoch3, hapemask, Downhill, Prosit, BensonM, zimmertr, ozzy, rubywrangler, Nancyann, Chief Joseph, RichP  awilsondc  KascadeFlat
neek

neek
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 12:48 pm 
Ok now that's worthy of its own thread up.gif

jaysway, Anne Elk, ozzy, Nancyann, Chief Joseph
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 5:33 pm 
jaysway wrote:
steep grassy slopes - is there an ice axe equivalent for this kind of terrain
Yes, an ice axe? They work in dirt too.

jaysway
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 6:56 pm 
Conrad wrote:
Yes, an ice axe? They work in dirt too.
One came in very handy while going for the summit of Mt. Roosevelt North. Plenty of dirt, grass, and heather up there. Your photos are amazing jaysway. They capture the experience of being in a magical time and place. Your efforts were well-rewarded. ~z

jaysway
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostFri Oct 01, 2021 10:30 pm 
Needed any easier hike to match my lack of fitness level so settled on old Estes LO site and Estes Butte up the Chiwawa. Some overhanging brush on trail here and there so expect damp feet if you don’t have something to shed the water. Trail in good shape to former LO site (5397) just a few fallen trees before you reach the top. Past that, trail still pretty good, just a few places it gets muddled with game trails, not a big deal. Had the whole place to myself today. Beautiful day to be out.
LO site views
LO site views
Chiwawa River valley
Chiwawa River valley
Glacier
Glacier
Buck
Buck
Looking toward Estes Butte
Looking toward Estes Butte
Clark and Little Giant Pass
Clark and Little Giant Pass
5th July _Rampart
5th July _Rampart

Cyclopath, HikingBex, fourteen410, jaysway, Nancyann, RichP  KascadeFlat
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 03, 2021 1:11 pm 
Visited Lake Augusta again, same time as last year. This year it was much colder, with gale force winds at the lake. There were many more large and tedious blowdowns to negotiate than last year in the first several miles of trail also. Colors were still fantastic though and same as last year, a nice way to end my backpacking season for the year.

Cyclopath, Brushbuffalo, HikingBex, fourteen410, rubywrangler, half fast, zimmertr, Prosit, Slim, jaysway, RichP, Downhill
RichP

RichP
PostFri Oct 08, 2021 7:49 am 
A little hike up Bearhead Mtn yesterday. Though I'd been to Summit Lake and Peak twice in pre-social media days, I've never visited this wilderness highpoint. Pretty rough road but stunning views of you know what. Most hikers appear to opt for the lake junction as few people were on this side.

Cyclopath, Brushbuffalo, HikingBex, fourteen410, kw
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 3:48 pm 
Trail ran up to Goat Lake off the Mountain Loop Highway today. Perfect moody October weather, the tail end of fall colors and some fresh snow on nearby peaks made for a great trip.

Cyclopath, Randy, Backpacker Joe, Tom