Forum Index > Trail Talk > Looking to Hitch a Ride from Snow Lakes Trailhead to Stuart/Colchuck Lake Trailhead 10/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Am0ngTh3Pin3s
Hannah

Am0ngTh3Pin3s
Hannah
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 3:39 pm 
Three of us are planning on day hiking the Enchantments this Monday starting early in the morning. We were hoping to leave our car in the Snow Lakes parking area and hitch a ride to Stuart where we would start the hike. If anyone is going to be there at this time and has extra room in their vehicle, we would gladly compensate you for the help. We are flexible with the time as long as we're able to start early enough with ample time to complete the hike. If we don't figure it out ahead of time, we'll hope to get picked up somewhere on the road in the morning! smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 3:58 pm 
Have you considered just going up and down Aasgard instead of using the Snow Lake trailhead? Turning around at Lake Viviane and heading back the way you came hits much of the grandeur, gives you more time in the core, saves quite a bit of loss, and adds a modest amount of gain. Plus it gives you the option to turn around at any point. Without any side trips it works out to ~6,700' of gain and ~17 miles. I encountered some inclement weather in the core on Wednesday btw. It was snowing pretty heavy going up Aasgard and dipped into the 20s. Bring winter weather gear. I wish I had brought gloves. Get an early start too. I left the trailhead at 7:30AM and didn't get back to the car until around 8:30PM. Which means I had to use my headlamp for 3-4 miles. I did some exploring up Prusik Pass though which added quite a bit to my day.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 5:36 pm 
Am0ngTh3Pin3s
Hannah

Am0ngTh3Pin3s
Hannah
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 5:48 pm 
I checked this out and it looks like they require reservations and their office doesn’t open until 8am on Monday. I saw they have on call drivers but I’m not confident that I’ll have service to call one at the trailhead. If you have any further information please let me know smile.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 6:36 pm 
What time will you be at the Snow Lakes TH? I make dayhikes up the Icicle on random days and might be able to make that connection.

Am0ngTh3Pin3s
Am0ngTh3Pin3s
Hannah

Am0ngTh3Pin3s
Hannah
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 7:00 pm 
We were hoping to start between 5 and 6am. If that would work for you I would be eternally grateful biggrin.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 7:23 pm 
I would be coming from Wenatchee, but I always eat breakfast by around 4 am anyway to get ready for my morning hike up Saddle rock. I think my brother has coffee at O'Gradys at the Sleeping Lady with a group of guys every morning around 7 am so I could join them after I drop you off and make it an outing even if I don't hike somewhere. Send me a PM with what kind of group to look for.

Am0ngTh3Pin3s
Hannah

Am0ngTh3Pin3s
Hannah
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 7:36 pm 
Wow thank you so much!! I will send you a message shortly!

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 7:47 pm 
ok, I am usually in bed by this time of night so I may not answer until 3:30 AM tomorrow.

adamschneider

adamschneider
PostSat Oct 02, 2021 10:57 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Have you considered just going up and down Aasgard instead of using the Snow Lake trailhead? Turning around at Lake Viviane and heading back the way you came hits much of the grandeur, gives you more time in the core, saves quite a bit of loss, and adds a modest amount of gain. Plus it gives you the option to turn around at any point. Without any side trips it works out to ~6,700' of gain and ~17 miles.
This. I've done the full 20-mile traverse, and I've gone out-and-back on the Colchuck side (as far as Gnome Tarn, about 17 miles total). The out-and-back was much more fulfilling. The only drawback was that the trail down from Colchuck Lake kind of sucks in the dark.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Oct 05, 2021 7:21 pm 
Seemed like a nice group of hikers. Glad I could help them out with a shuttle. Also, it was good to get a current reading on the conditions of the Snow Lakes/Colchuck trailheads at 5:00 am on a Monday in October. Just as chaotic as ever. I even turned it into an Icicle hike after I dropped them off.

Walkin' Fool, contour5, HikingBex, Slim, Bootpathguy, kite, zimmertr