Forum Index > Trail Talk > Body found in Stampede Pass area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Oct 05, 2021 5:39 pm 
Updated article from the AP: ELLENSBURG, Wash. (AP) — Kittitas County sheriff’s detectives are investigating a possible homicide after a call from a hiker led to the discovery of human remains in the Stampede Pass area, about two miles south of Keechelus Lake. A hiker in the area spotted something suspicious and called the sheriff’s office, said Chris Whitsett, with the sheriff’s office. The deputy found the human remains and called in detectives, he said. Due to the length of time the remains have been outside and the state of decomposition, the body was not immediately identifiable, Whitsett said, adding that it appears the remains were there “for some months,” the Yakima Herald-Republic reported. Detectives are investigating the incident as a homicide. The Kittitas County Coroner’s Office has released the body to the King County Medical Examiner’s Office for a forensic autopsy, scheduled this week, but Whitsett said identification could take some time.

KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 05, 2021 5:51 pm 
Fedor
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 pm 
Randito wrote:
Hopefully it is "Sherpa" a thru hiker that vanished in that area a few years ago and not some new tragedy.
What an excellent guess. I had forgotten about him lately. That would be "good" closure for his family. I seem to recall a lot of effort to find him including some possible sightings. ~z

Chief Joseph
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 5:43 am 
Hopefully? Bad choice of words

LookForFood
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 8:46 am 
There's limited information on this one, but authorities indicated this was a homicide. So not likely Kris.

Owler

Owler
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 8:56 am 
Randito wrote:
Hopefully it is "Sherpa" a thru hiker that vanished in that area a few years ago and not some new tragedy.
I remember reading a pretty convincing write up (maybe on here) that likely got caught up in a storm a day or two after leaving white pass. Storm that came through was heavy rain and cold temps. I'll try to find it.

bullfrog

bullfrog
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 9:09 am 
Sherpa's mom has already posted on Facebook that she has been in contact with the local police and hinted that it is unlikely to be her son's body (https://www.facebook.com/groups/BringKrisFowlerHome/). As others has speculated, there was a terrible rainstorm after he left White Pass, and it may be that he got hypothermia and wandered off the PCT. Here's hoping his family has closure someday.

Fedor
Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 10:31 am 
There's some speculation that this may close the missing person case for Ian Eckles. This was related to the manhunt that closed that part of the forest for several weeks last summer. https://komonews.com/news/local/murder-suspect-arrested-ending-weeks-long-manhunt

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 11:16 am 
Ian Eckles was murdered in the Teanaway area. That's a bit far from Stampede Pass.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 11:48 am 
Owler wrote:
I remember reading a pretty convincing write up (maybe on here) that [Sherpa/Kris Fowler] likely got caught up in a storm a day or two after leaving white pass. Storm that came through was heavy rain and cold temps. I'll try to find it.
I think the writeup you're referring to is a lengthy analysis done by a fellow who does some for-hire private searches. It was very good and if memory serves, he posted it in the huge thread in Trail Talk about the Sam Sayers/Vesper Peak incident, which comes up if you input Fowler's name in NWH's search engine. But there's 100+ pages to go thru to find it. Unless Tom has sekrit tools, I don't think searching within a thread is possible.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 11:56 am 
Look below.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 12:04 pm 
Duh. Well aren't I the unobservant one. Bad, bad junior moderator! There's something else I don't know how to do on here but I'm not fessin' up to what it is in public. clown.gif

Owler

Owler
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 1:49 pm 
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 2:15 pm 
Ah, yeah. FreeSolo's analyses; some of the best informed on that thread. I guess I have a real fascination with missing persons in the wilderness stories, as this thread has got me thinking about the Kris Fowler disappearance again. Given his last truly confirmed sighting, the fact that he got a late start (3:30 pm in Oct), and comments of people who met him on the trail in CA ("poorly equipped"), he's gotta be somewhere not terribly far from White Pass. How far could someone possibly go in that weather, poorly equipped, before they were taken down by hypothermia? That's the circle of distance he's in. I'm sure that's occurred to FreeSolo & other skilled SAR types. Not that it makes the searching easier. I'm surprised you-know-who hasn't leaped on the opportunity, but probably too far to make repeated drives from Skagit County. huh.gif

Exmoor

Exmoor
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 7:21 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Unless Tom has sekrit tools, I don't think searching within a thread is possible.
Here's the secret. When using Search enter your various search options and then under Display results as choose Posts. That will only show the specific post meeting your search criteria. Really helps when you're trying to weed through search terms that come up in the giant trip report thread, etc.

day_hike_mike