Forum Index > Partners > North Idaho hiking...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Author     Message
AA+
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 pm 
Just arrived today at Priest lake, and want to do a few hikes before the weather turns. I want to do the short hike to Hunt lake, then over the Selkirk crest for hopefully an over-nighter at Fault lake. Then I want to do probably a day hike to the Wigwams. One more I might do is Lookout mountain and maybe a ridge traverse from there to Lions Head peak. I have been to Lookout mountain once and there is a historic fire lookout on the top.

If you happen to live in the Spokane or CDA area, we have a detached cabin where one can stay the night if wanted. Also have a nice fire pit, music and a bar less than a mile away and I will buy the beer.  cheers.gif
Invitation open to all genders.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 23, 2021 12:05 pm 
looks like I might be going solo tomorrow to the Wigwams, might post some pics. I guess the road is very rough the last mile, so plan to ride my bike north on 57 and then over to the east side, should be a trip.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 28, 2021 1:16 pm 
Found the old fire lookout up on Hughes ridge yesterday then headed down to check out the meadows.

upper priest lake
upper priest lake
outlaw..
outlaw..
biker
biker
Hughes fork
Hughes fork
granite creek
granite creek
can anyone identify?
can anyone identify?
old and new shoe trees
old and new shoe trees
2 mouth creek
2 mouth creek

--------------

RichP
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 04, 2021 5:43 pm 
Went up on Mollies loop today, it’s a popular snowmobile route but I rode my dirt bike. I went up a spur road off that loop that goes due north about a mile to a dead end. There a pretty defined tread heads into the trees them up through granite on the way to Mollies peak, then one can follow the saddle a ways to climb the ridge up to Phoebe’s tip, I chose to just get up Mollies today for some great 360 views.

warming hut
warming hut
the way up
the way up

Sorry, but yellow trees, except for a few of the leafy variety.

--------------
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 12:47 am 
Actually found a partner today on the trail to Hunt lake. On the way up the rough, seemingly never ending about 9 mile logging road I noticed what looked to be fresh tracks and when I arrived there was one vehicle at the TH. The hike is only one mile, but about the roughest mile that you are likely to find, essentially an off trail route going up and down traversing a long boulder field. I was going slow and deliberately, not in a hurry and not wishing to get injured. So about 1/3 of the way in I was surprised to find another lone male hiker who was about 10 years my senior.

So we hiked in together, separated while we each fished a bit (fishing sucked) then hiked out together. It made the hike more enjoyable as we enjoyed one another persons conversation and company. We exchanged numbers and hope to hike in the future. Was hoping to see goats on the cliffs above in the high heather, but none were visible.

It was perfect weather, about 70 and pretty breezy at the lake for casting. The lake is typically that way so next trip I would like to spend the night in order to fish early and late when the wind has dissipated, maybe raft across to a private campsite. We found quite a lot of trash and packed out all but two silver tarps that we stashed out of sight under some very large boulders.

Observing the climb to the notch leading over the crest and on to Fault lake on the other side looks to be maybe out of my pain and physical limitation threshold, but am not ready to give up on in yet...like the Mariners, maybe next year.

--------------
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 06, 2021 12:52 am 
priest lake below
priest lake below
'trail'
'trail'
'trail'
'trail'
Hunt Peak
Hunt Peak
notch leading over the crest and south to fault
notch leading over the crest and south to fault
pond by lake that also holds protein
pond by lake that also holds protein

Was actually nice that the route was well flagged, not really necessary but helpful in order to take "the line of least resistance" ...especially for us Old Guys.  wink.gif

--------------

RichP
dixon

dixon
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 1:19 pm 
Amazing pics Chief! Where in Idaho do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 9:18 pm 
Thanks. NW side of Priest Lake. I actually split time between here and Verlot where I plan to head back to for about 6 weeks in about 10 days, then back here for the winter.

in north Idaho even a swamp looks awesome!
in north Idaho even a swamp looks awesome!
granite creek
granite creek
trail junction at the start of the north fork  priest river trail
trail junction at the start of the north fork  priest river trail
big cedar
big cedar
snowy top mountain. Funny note, on my app a mountain named “rock candy mountain” popped up, maybe climb it…mmm, chocolate!
snowy top mountain. Funny note, on my app a mountain named “rock candy mountain” popped up, maybe climb it…mmm, chocolate!

--------------