Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wild Sky Ragged Ridge Grand Traverse to Spada Lake- 9/2-5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Raven

Raven
PostFri Dec 21, 2012 6:02 am 
Thank you, "Sultan Guy". Thank you for the stims! I was moved to write and post at https://www.facebook.com/groups/35327387280/10152036065487281/?notif_t=group_activity#!/groups/35327387280/?fref=ts ******* Animals of prey are sharpest after fasting. They don't head off hunting until slightly starved. In falconry, there is a term for this ..yarak. My best and longest fast (water only) was 43-45 hours. After my last meal and a night of sleep I headed out, driving, 3 or 4 hours, to the end of a raggedy road at 3100'. From the Deer Creek side, the next part was bouldering up to Ragged Ridge via North Star Potholes. Rather than back packing with too much unecessary junk and weight, I travel light and fast (in those days) with 5# fanny pack, western hat, 5# of boots (for this trip), the shirts on my back (4 or 5#) and 2 quarts of water (about 4#). Upon reaching Ragged Ridge, late afternoon, went to wandering around aimlessly, stuck in how very, very hungry I was. I felt a little weak climbing up. No prob. Eventually, it got dark enough to go to sleep. Come morning, I felt great and strong--best ever. WOW! There was no desire for food or drink. Okay, back down and to the car, and a long drive out and down to a restuarant. I couldn't figure what to eat. Then after picking something, yup it tasted crappy.
(John Denver, "Rocky Mountain High") Yes, eventually everything went to normal, again---life in bad air, surrounded by all my fellow flatlanders. Circa 70s, 80s there were no maps for this area of the North Cascade Mountains. We figured things from aerial photos. Vrthng's dffrnt today. 30 years later, come now the "Sultan Guy". He did his trip in 2011. It's an excellent summary. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7993952&highlight=snowslide+lk+lake I suggested to my oldest son to place my ashes at Snowslide Lake. If he's too old at age 80, his younger brother can make the trip at 65. In my experience, the best way to fast is in the wilderness. Jesus did it for 40 days and nights (probably water only). I believe he is a master yogi, a fellow barefooter.

Carved Wood Signs ==> www.SemperSigns.com Redwood Carved Signs ==> www.SemperSigns.com/post.html
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SKS

SKS
PostWed Dec 11, 2013 11:54 am 
Nice trip report! I had never looked at this area before but will now. Don't think I would have the ability to make the whole traverse though.

Exmoor

Exmoor
PostThu Oct 07, 2021 9:36 am 
I hope its not in bad taste to bump a 10 year old trip report, but I was staring off my deck trying to identify some peaks earlier this week and after some detective work with a topographic map it turned out to be what this thread calls Snowslide mountain (unnamed on maps). A little searching turned up this remarkable thread which I absolutely loved reading.

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Oct 08, 2021 5:38 am 
please delete your post

mosey
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Oct 08, 2021 6:51 am 
Thanks for bumping that, Exmoor, I read it again and enjoyed it again. I am never going to do that! eek.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir