Forum Index > Trip Reports > 10-08-21 Cabin lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 1:31 pm 
I took my nephew into Cabin lake yesterday. Believe me it was tough remembering the looing roads to get to the unofficial trailhead. When you cant really see where youre going its hard to find places. Well, we got there and hiked into the lake. It was a very wet (though not raining at the time) beautiful hike. Hunter really l iked it. Sadly the right side of the cabins foundation is sinking. The cabin leans about 15 degrees. It would be nice to get some hydrolic jacks up ther and level the place.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Randy, mosey, runup, jstern, reststep, awilsondc, Anne Elk, Alpine Pedestrian, rubywrangler, Tom, neek, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 3:12 pm 
Right on, BPJ! up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 3:15 pm 
Its funny, I cant really describe my vision loss. As the day went on and the l ight started to wain, on the way out my trekking poles saved my butt a dozen times. It was pretty dark in them woods.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 4:22 pm 
Comparing the last 2 images, the cabin looks to be leaning about as much as the lake. Coincidence, I think not! clown.gif Just kidding, good to see you getting out BPJ. Age has a funny way of making us appreciate things we used to take for granted.

runup
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 5:34 pm 
Thanks Tom. Yes its leaning 15 degrees or so tot he right. I wish i could figure out a way to level that foundation Hell, if I could still drive Id have gotten out 50 times this summer. .

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 9:22 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Some awesome color up there. This shot is terrific! What a great day you all had. Fishing too. ~z

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 11:31 pm 
How's the road? I hear it's gotten pretty rough these days.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Oct 10, 2021 8:26 am 
You are blessed indeed, BPJ! I remember all those trips you took with your then-kid nephew. That created the bond that provides the love he has for you to guide you now, when you need it. You're getting out more this fall than I am!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 10, 2021 9:59 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
How's the road? I hear it's gotten pretty rough these days.
Dude, that road is BAD in a few places. I would NOT take anything other than a high clearance vehicle up there. There was a terrible washout that they fixed and did a very nice job too.