Forum Index > Trail Talk > CLARK MT High Route
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bgs8379

bgs8379
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 12:23 pm 
I see the route on old maps. Does anyone have old history of the route ?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 12:33 pm 
Is that the one that hooked into the Thunder Basin trail? We had a deer high hunt camp in Thunder Basin and used the trail for hunting back in the 70/80's.

Happy Trails... pasayten
gb

gb
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 4:28 pm 
bgs8379 wrote:
I see the route on old maps. Does anyone have old history of the route ?
It is an old sheepherder's route that was largely gone by about 2000, or so. I'd think now you would only find traces in a few spots.

babylero

babylero
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 6:42 pm 
There is a clear but brushy in parts trail from boulder creek all the way to just below the ridge around 6600 feet. From there a talus/dirty slope has some signs of tread here and there to a climbers path up to the Summit.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 10:52 pm 
I've done 95% of the route, which used to be a sheepherder's trail. But east of Thunder Basin we lost ye olde trail. Much of the central-eastern section is pretty lost. You could find bits of it here and there. It's more distinct under Clark Mtn, but some of that has gotten worse. I think it used to be maintained by hunters a few decades ago.

querulous

querulous
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 1:31 pm 
As noted, it's an old sheepherder trail. I have followed it from the vicinity of Thunder basin to the the Boulder Pass trai. If you are used to cross-country travel you'll think it's a nice easy route. If you habitually stay on trails you may think it's in dreadful condition and occasionally hard to follow. Regardless, it's very scenic, and offers as a side-excursion a non-technical non-glacier route up Clark.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSat Oct 16, 2021 8:04 pm 
I did the route a long time age (1993) and the path was pretty sketchy back then; perhaps it has improved; except for a cliffy section to navigate not far out of Boulder basin the cross country was pretty straight forward. Good luck!

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Oct 17, 2021 5:23 am 
Somewhere I've seen an old photo of a shepherd with a large herd somewhere in that area. I thought it was the upper entiat? I thought it was in a guide book, but I checked the ones I have.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Oct 17, 2021 8:17 am 
I think anyone who has climbed Clark has done a bit of it. I wanted to return one day and visit Thunder Basin but probably never will. I imagine a few intrepid hunters still wander out that way.

fffej50

fffej50
PostSun Oct 17, 2021 11:30 am 
maybe 15/20 years ago we cartwheeled down the hillside(literally) from thunder basin after finding our way over from Clark and came upon a rather serious hunters camp adjacent to that huge meadow complete with a wood stove and stacked firewood.... was that yours ?

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Oct 17, 2021 2:55 pm 
That High Route just might be easier going than the White River Trail. Seriously! I'm not sure of the status of the river trail - officially abandoned, de facto abandoned, or passable? confused.gif Anyway, cool map. And here's a 15 year old report of our attempt on Thunder Basin. dizzy.gif https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=209077#209077

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 4:39 am 
fffej50 wrote:
maybe 15/20 years ago we cartwheeled down the hillside(literally) from thunder basin after finding our way over from Clark and came upon a rather serious hunters camp adjacent to that huge meadow complete with a wood stove and stacked firewood.... was that yours ?
Not ours... We always packed our gear in/out each trip... Hid the turnoff to the trail... Stealth was our goal... :-)

Happy Trails... pasayten