Forum Index > Trip Reports > Easy Pass, 10/9/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Oct 11, 2021 5:00 pm 
I woke up very early on Saturday morning in Marblemount to avoid the crowds and hike to the top of Easy Pass for sunrise. Other than irrational sleep-deprived paranoia around running into a mountain lion, the trip up in the dark was easy, although I was surprised at how low the snow started appearing on the trail. I didn't see a single person until I started going down hours later, and then probably saw 2-3 dozen people on the way back to the car. Sunrise was great, but minutes afterwards the sun went behind the clouds and didn't really reappear until hours later when I was halfway down the trail mad.gif which made me wish I waited longer at the top, but I was getting cold and ready to come down. Some scattered flakes were falling all morning, which added to the fall-meets-winter ambiance of the hike. This was my third weekend in a row of celebrating a hike by picking up food and a milkshake at Katsu Burger on the drive back to Oregon. Now that I've done all of the super popular larch hikes off of SR 20 - Maple Pass, Blue Lake, Cutthroat Pass, and Easy Pass - I can see why Easy Pass is the least crowded despite it being the closest to Seattle. You spend less time among the larches compared to the others, and the vertical gain is bigger too, although less than 3K seems tame compared to many hikes in the area. The views certainly don't disappoint though, and while I saw a bunch of people on my way down, the density of hikers was much lower than those other hikes. Of all of these hikes, Easy Pass also felt like the one where you miss out the least by coming before larch season. Sunrise
I was a minute or two away from getting a great shot here, but the light had mostly faded but the time I got to this spot
I was a minute or two away from getting a great shot here, but the light had mostly faded but the time I got to this spot
Post-sunrise

Josh Journey, seawallrunner, kite, reststep, vk, JasonK806, Randito, Brushbuffalo, Matt, Anne Elk, outsider_bulu, Chief Joseph, Bowregard, awilsondc, Prosit, Slim, rubywrangler, Tom  silence, GaliWalker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 11, 2021 6:45 pm 
That didnt look easy! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 11, 2021 9:22 pm 
So, is it easy, I have heard it's kind of hard? Really like the photos contrasting the fall colors + snow. up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
mosey

mosey
PostMon Oct 11, 2021 9:43 pm 
Those are some nice shots of swirling clouds!

silence

silence
PostWed Oct 13, 2021 5:16 pm 
Your photos are spectacular!! Nice work!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Oct 17, 2021 4:48 pm 
Beautiful photos. I have wondered about that hike as I speed past the signs for it on the way to overcrowded trailheads. I like the contrast of snow with fall colors.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
hikermike

hikermike
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 12:56 pm 
I went up and spent the night there years ago...nobody around. Surprised it's become so popular now. Is there a bridge now? Used to be, then washed away, then a big log, then washed away. It is supposed to be hard but went well for me as it is in 3 parts so it marks the time as you climb. Beautiful old forest then subalpine parkland and then alpine bareness with a dramatic pass. Great winter photos.

jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 3:29 pm 
hikermike wrote:
I went up and spent the night there years ago...nobody around. Surprised it's become so popular now. Is there a bridge now? Used to be, then washed away, then a big log, then washed away. It is supposed to be hard but went well for me as it is in 3 parts so it marks the time as you climb. Beautiful old forest then subalpine parkland and then alpine bareness with a dramatic pass. Great winter photos.
There is a sturdy bridge at the very beginning of the hike. I haven't lived here long so I can't comment on the way things used to be, but today the SR 20 larch hikes are extremely popular. Easy Pass is probably the least popular of the easily accessible ones, and I suspect that the craziness at Maple Pass, Cutthroat Pass, and Blue Lake is pushing people towards lesser known ones like Easy Pass. I've seen countless posts on IG or WH&C of those three hikes (especially Maple Pass and Blue Lake) but very few of Easy Pass. That will probably change over time. No camping is allowed right now at the top of the pass, but if you did it years ago I'm sure it was allowed back then. There is a camp in Fisher Basin and there are some XC options not far from the pass, but those all requires NCNP permits.