Right, although traction can be helpful. Getting ready to cross in late July:
Yikes! eek.gif Looks very unforgiving. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 13, 2021 12:13 pm 
JPH wrote:
Eric wrote:
Late season you can also mostly (or perhaps completely) stay off of the snowfield and in the moat.
Yeah, I went up in late September a few years ago and the only snow I remember walking on was the mellow snowfield right before the ladders.
The first time I went it just passed tin can gap there was a short (maybe 30' across) the glacier but it was solid ice, even with micro spikes and trying to chop steps I was not comfortable crossing, so I actually scrambled down a short distance and then up the boulders. Would not really recommend that. Did not know about the moat, noticed that route and took it on the way out. Would rally suck to slip and slide down inside the moat! Then the next time I went in late August, that crossing was melted out and there was a bare foot path across.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

ozzy
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 pm 
"After Monday’s rescue in whiteout conditions of two experienced hikers on Three Fingers Mountain" Not sure who claims they were, or, are experienced ( probably claimed or verified they through hiked The Enchantments in 1 day ) Regardless, they're experienced now! "Experience Is What You Get, When You Get What You Don't Want"

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

mosey, Chief Joseph
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostThu Oct 14, 2021 6:56 am 
Those in quest of lookout shelter tend to share a few vulnerabilities:
  • no backup shelter
  • unfamiliarity with terrain/route
  • goal-driven without regard to weather/conditions
We have had resulting deaths of hikers trying to get to/from fires lookouts. Thanks to SAR this had a happier ending, but for SAR's sake, it's time to heed the warning.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey

brewermd
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 6:57 am 
One of Shroder's rescue photos looked familiar. I think we might have a match
87ThreeFingersTrail
87ThreeFingersTrail

ozzy
querulous

querulous
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 1:45 pm 
Okay, I'm going to say it: how many rescues have been associated with that Three Fingers lookout? Lots. It's an attractive nuisance. Nobody would be tempted to overnight up on that exposed spot (to get stuck when the weather changes) if it were just a pinnacle with a blasted-off flattened top and some ladders for easy access. I wonder what ol' Harold Engles would make of the persistence of his lookout. (Which was actually staffed for maybe 5 years). Imagine a venturesome guy like him being District ranger. The FS surely has changed.

mosey

mosey
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 1:55 pm 
querulous wrote:
if it were just a pinnacle with a blasted-off flattened top and some ladders for easy access.
down.gif

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 8:41 am 
Experts at WHAT?....Beach volleyball?? Ya a storms a coming... and we don't have 3 days of food ..or can't hunker down for 3 days.. CAUSE I GOTTA WORK MONDAY!... Glad they made it and no rescuers got hurt... These guys should be charged $ for their sh##. preparation....at least gas $ for the heli... Yes backpacking actually takes a lot of planning... Do I dare ask what they actually had with them? Or how many can learn from the SPECIFICS OF THAT experience.... I've been on a few trips where people are a little nervous..when going x.c. thinking oh we told our friends we be out monday...this after I specifically told them you always need an EXTRA 1.5 days if weather or other things happen AND u have to wait to exit..dugh! I always say we're playing by nature's schedule now not ours!...

lopper, treeswarper
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 12:28 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
thinking oh we told our friends we be out monday...this after I specifically told them you always need an EXTRA 1.5 days if weather or other things happen AND u have to wait to exit..dugh! I always say we're playing by nature's schedule now not ours!...
Good points....although when my friends and I went to the lake that shall not be named at high elevation in the NCNP, the original plan was to stay thursday and friday nights, we went a day late and a storm was coming in Saturday night, so instead of "hunkering down" and coming out when the weather cleared we bailed and arrived at Marblemount just as the rain started. I, unlike you am not a fan of "Riding the Storm out" in a flimsy tarp tent, lol. As I have mentioned before, I like to be very flexible in my trip planning, many simply go forward with their plans no matter what and that can obviously lead to trouble.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 7:41 pm 
That reminds me...we have to hit the lake in another storm..with lightning!... You guys should of enjoyed the stormm..I luv it when it blows out the next day at 7k..ft

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 pm 
Personally I am glad when stuff like this happens because I know how much joy it brings to the people that have nothing better to do than complain about others and judge their lack of whatever. And they always want to know all the details because then they would have even more to judge and complain about.It's always the same people over and over and over so it's kinda obvious they haven't any other joy in life. *bigcurmudgeonlygrins* Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostThu Oct 21, 2021 7:38 am 
High horses come in different colors.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey

Tom
Gil

Gil
PostThu Oct 21, 2021 9:00 am 
Not many details are needed. They were laughably unprepared. Bad weather was forecast well in advance. They endangered lots of rescuers.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
geyer

geyer
PostThu Oct 21, 2021 9:00 am 
querulous wrote:
Nobody would be tempted to overnight up on that exposed spot (to get stuck when the weather changes) if it were just a pinnacle with a blasted-off flattened top and some ladders for easy access.
speak for yourself, that sounds like the perfect summit bivy

Chief Joseph, coldrain108, awilsondc  ozzy
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 21, 2021 9:26 am 
forest gnome wrote:
Yes backpacking actually takes a lot of planning...
You can't say that, all you can say is "it could happen to anyone". Which is completely false and insulting. It could happen to anyone who ignores the weather, comes unprepared and doesn't take the terrain and other hazards into consideration before going out. Even when I was a wet behind the ears backpacker I didn't do that, maybe because when I was a rookie (1987) we didn't expect immediate rescue and knew we were on our own. Didn't keep us out of the back country, actually made it more enjoyable. This event was egregious, to the point of negligence, in its lack of situational awareness by "experienced hikers". So glad that no one was injured in the rescue. Imagine the righteous outrage if there had been any collateral damage.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.