Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm 
Years ago we did a Goat lake clean up hike. When we were done I remember running back to the car. Made it from the lake to the car in 50 minutes. I scared the crap out of a few people when I came running around corners. LOL.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

mosey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 7:39 pm 
Thursday Trail run north along the PCT from Snoqualmie Pass with about 150 other people - I guess the thought of weekday solitude is a lost cause along I-90.
Friday An afternoon walk up Stegosaurus Butte with the 7-yr old.

Cyclopath, mosey, RichP, runup, Tom
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 8:05 pm 
Love the kids shots.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

runup
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSat Oct 09, 2021 8:56 pm 
Thanks BPJ. Hope you have a great fall and winter.

hapemask

hapemask
PostSun Oct 17, 2021 11:27 pm 
As a little kid my parents took me skiing once and I hated it. This past week I took a hike up towards Panorama Point in MRNP to try out some new boots, and now I’m pretty sure I’ll be finding some way to take adult ski lessons this winter…
I think when there’s more snow people go straight up this? Maybe not? I definitely wasn’t prepared for that so I just followed the summer trail via GPS + topo map.
I think when there’s more snow people go straight up this? Maybe not? I definitely wasn’t prepared for that so I just followed the summer trail via GPS + topo map.
I climbed a gulley here to my left and then freezing rain started and I figured that was enough boot testing for the day. Two guys were casually skinning along the tracks here, with quite some exposure on the right, I was very jealous.
I climbed a gulley here to my left and then freezing rain started and I figured that was enough boot testing for the day. Two guys were casually skinning along the tracks here, with quite some exposure on the right, I was very jealous.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 9:11 pm 
Foggy Froggy today with Tricia. First time I have been all the way to the top of the new trail, love it!
They painted this thing blue to represent what color the sky is on a non-foggy day. clown.gif

Cyclopath, RichP, awilsondc
xallas

xallas
PostMon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 pm 
In case somebody is interested in current conditions. Did a meetup hike to mt Daniels via ridge trail on Saturday. Snow starts at Cathedral rock, no snow on little scramble to the side of the Cathedral, resumes near Peggy's pond. Due to snow navigation and it being first real experience for many in our group we were slower than expected. And I decided to turn around without attempting to get past class3/ledge area area, I am not sure how passable it is in the current condition without getting closer.
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
roughly where we turned around
roughly where we turned around
On Sunday led another meetup hike to Cascade pass/Sahale Arm glacier camp. Snow started at the top of the pass, some parts of the sahale trail had deep enough snow i wished I had snowshoes, but we managed just fine with microspikes.

Am0ngTh3Pin3s, Cyclopath, awilsondc, Nancyann, InFlight, Tom, jaysway, zimmertr, RichP, hapemask, neek
Hutch

Hutch
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 3:10 pm 
Is the road to Cascade Pass trailhead still closed? How much additional mileage is the road walk?

xallas

xallas
PostThu Oct 21, 2021 10:04 am 
Still closed, there are two spots where you need to cross washout. It adds 3miles up+down, arguably this is the hardest part of the whole hike to Cascade pass.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Oct 21, 2021 10:31 pm 
Visited Carne Mountain October 20, a bit later than last year when on October 6 the larches were just about perfect in color. This year there was a smoke haze, but the sun managed to make an appearance in the late afternoon, creating a magical light on the larches.
I loved this cluster of baby larches, almost looked like a larch bush.
These two pictures were taken with an IPhone 12. Everything else was taken with my old IPhone 8. Not sure if I like them, kind of surreal looking.

Cyclopath, zimmertr, thename, rubywrangler, jaysway, awilsondc, half fast, Lightning_bug
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 1:00 pm 
A highlight of a busy day in the Island In The Sky district of Canyonlands NP was bagging "The Knoll". My family laughed at me, but hey, prominence is prominence and this comes in at 516' despite rising only about 100' above the surrounding terrain. I labored up the scree on the south face for my ascent and then descended the severe west sandstone direct route down.
Dramatic prominence
Dramatic prominence
A closer view
A closer view
On top!
On top!
Route
Route
I'm not the only nwhiker to get sidetracked by this peak -- A couple names I recognize on peakbagger are John Morrow (no surprise there) and some names

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

Cyclopath, Chief Joseph, hapemask, RichP  KascadeFlat
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 2:05 pm 
One of the knolls was very interesting both for the view and foe a couple ancient structures near the top.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:19 am 
Very Cool

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 9:44 am 
puzzlr wrote:
My family laughed at me, but hey, prominence is prominence and this comes in at 516' despite rising only about 100' above the surrounding terrain.
Shame on them for laughing! Don't they understand the significance - heck, prestige! - of climbing the least-prominent prominence in America? clown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
xallas

xallas
PostSat Oct 30, 2021 10:26 pm 
In case anyone interested in current conditions above Monte Cristo town. Did the twin lakes today. Microspikes we're useful from 3800 up to 4800, switched to snowshoes for everything above that. Western slopes were getting wind loaded and with nasty powdery snow that almost started sliding upon getting touched, hopefully it solidifies soon. Nasty sharp ridge wind, but not too cold. By the end of the day at least 500-800vft lost snow compared to morning.
Columbia
Columbia
cadet and foggy?
cadet and foggy?
silver lake
silver lake
twin lakes
twin lakes
Wilmans - Columbia ridge
Wilmans - Columbia ridge
Del Campo and Gothic
Del Campo and Gothic