Forum Index > Trip Reports > The NEW Mt. Peak Lookout is Almost Ready!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
User-Name

User-Name
PostThu Oct 21, 2021 5:32 pm 
Most mornings, I take a country walk to Mt. Peak, in Enumclaw, which is right by my house. I go up and over, then loop the roads around the peak for a few miles to get back to the parking lot. The "peak" is tiny--you only gain about 1000 feet--but it's a great way to get a little exercise before lunch. And for reasons I have yet to discover, they just built a publicly-accessible fire lookout on top! It's pretty cool...all steel construction, so it should last a long time, and when it's officially open, you'll be able to walk right up the stairs and check out the views...pretty neat! So, if you're in the area, check it out. There's a network of trails and side-trails on the peaklet, and if you get lost (like I did when I hiked it for the first time), don't worry; just follow the roads around the base of the peak, and you'll get back to the main parking lot eventually. Along the way, you'll see...
The new tower--not offically open yet...
The new tower--not offically open yet...
Lots of contented cows...
Lots of contented cows...
A TON of wooly bears!
A TON of wooly bears!
Future sweaters...
Future sweaters...
Alpacas, sheep, horses, and some very unusual cows...
Alpacas, sheep, horses, and some very unusual cows...
Leaves starting to turn...baifernau! :dizzy:
Leaves starting to turn...baifernau! dizzy.gif

Anne Elk, Brushbuffalo, geyer, IanB
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 12:49 pm 
This is really cool! cool.gif I wish this was done more often.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
RichP

RichP
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 1:42 pm 
My question is whether or not this will increase the Wa fire lookout count to 94 on peakbagger? biggrin.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 2:36 pm 
I think there will be further debate on that as the definition of a lookout has been a source of much haggling over the years. Craig W seems disinclined to include it and he is the primary keeper of that list so don't expect it to be added. The one argument against inclusion is that the LO would have to officially be used for fire identification. Whether or not that will be the case I do not know; it's certainly not the primary purpose. There are some questions about whether certain lookouts on that list currently meet that definition. Or at least I am not aware of documented evidence provided to support that in the case of a few lookouts such as Lorena Butte, Quartz, Pyramid (AWS), Lynx (cabin not a LO) etc. Opinions will vary, but tag them all and it doesn't matter. smile.gif As always, peakbagger lists get muddy when a time element is involved, e.g. an ascent of High Rock, Green Mtn, Quartz, Pinnacle Peak etc is not typically time ordered so you would get credit for the peak on the list even if you visited when the LO was not there.

RichP
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Oct 22, 2021 4:36 pm 
Does this count? This lookout is in south Tacoma near I-5.

mosey, RichP  Anne Elk
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 5:33 pm 
User-Name wrote:
There's a network of trails and side-trails
Being a map-kinda-guy, I just gotta ask - Is there any kind of trail map? And whose trails are they? Who does the maintenance?

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Oct 24, 2021 10:40 pm 
https://aqua.kingcounty.gov/gis/web/VMC/recreation/BCT_PinnaclePeak_brochure.pdf And yes you can count the Bass Pro Lookout provided that you are stuck in traffic on your way towards Fort Lewis. smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 11:59 am 
Therer used to be a nice one like that on Goat Peak up Cabin Cree near Snow Pass.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 9:53 am 
Quote:
And for reasons I have yet to discover, they just built a publicly-accessible fire lookout on top!
https://buildthefiretower.com/?fbclid=IwAR3TQ3o3wDZYaN_HF0yavKRatbBZOrnpYXBGuw0sHEGEun4migvCMtx63NI About Our Organization The Mt. Peak Historical Fire Lookout Association is an all volunteer group who formed in 2016 around the idea to rebuild the historic fire lookout that stood on top of Mt. Peak in Pinnacle Peak Park in SE King County. The goal of our group is to facilitate the planning, fundraising and construction of a lookout tower that stood at the summit of Mt. Peak between 1950 and 1966. The tower will retain many of the historic features of the previous tower. The addition of the tower will open up some views of the region that have been shrouded in tree cover for the past several decades. Our group is working in conjunction with the King County Parks department in developing a tower and site plan that will maximize potential views while limiting the impact to native vegetation. It is our intent to work with the community to bring back a historic structure that was part of the region's history and will also provide a vantage point that has been missing since 1966.

Exmoor