Forum Index > Trip Reports > Most Remote Point in Alpine Lakes Wilderness By Packraft, Oct 22-24, 2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 pm 
Most Remote Point in Alpine Lakes Wilderness By Packraft Eric and Matthew Gilbertson Oct 22-24, 2021 35 miles (30 hiking, 5 packrafting) Matthew was visiting for the weekend and our goal was to packraft in some remote lakes and go fishing. The Alpine Lakes Wilderness is hard to beat for remote lakes and proximity to Seattle. I’ve been seeking out the most remote points in wilderness areas recently, and it turns out the most remote point in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness is at 5,500ft on a promontory above treeline looking over Lake Rowena, near Mt Hinman.
Paddling just below the remote point
Paddling just below the remote point
The route
The route
How the remote point is determined
How the remote point is determined
This point is defined as the point farthest from the edge of a wilderness boundary, so farthest from a place where a road could legally be constructed. I was surprised it was in such an interesting location instead of in the middle of a viewless patch of forest somewhere. I looked for information about this area and it appears it is not visited too frequently. There are no trails to Lake Rowena, and one of the few reports I found of the area (from Kat on nwhikers) mentioned some sketchy cliffy traversing around Shovel Lake en route. That sounded like perfect terrain for a packraft! Packrafting across Shovel Lake would be an easy and fun way to avoid cliffs on the side. In fact, it looked like we could packraft across multiple lakes en route to increase fun and avoid traversing around the sides. The weather didn’t look great, but most of the route would be below treeline so wasn’t too weather dependent. Matthew arrived Friday afternoon and we were soon hiking up from the Salmon le Sac trailhead along the Waptus River trail. The rain held off and we made quick progress on the gradual climb. By 9:30pm we reached the southeast shore of Waptus Lake and pitched our tent for the night.
Fording the Waptus River Friday night
Fording the Waptus River Friday night
Paddling up Waptus Lake
Paddling up Waptus Lake
Waptus Lake, looking up towards Bears Breast
Waptus Lake, looking up towards Bears Breast
Saturday morning at 8:30am we inflated our packrafts and started paddling across the lake. Waptus Lake is great for paddling because it is so long that several trail miles can be switched for water miles. We tried dropping a line in but for some reason the fish weren’t biting that morning. At the head of a lake we found a nice slabby takeout and packed up our boats just as it started raining. From there we met up with the Waptus River trail and hiked to just before the Waptus River bridge on the PCT. I had read there was an unofficial trail leading up shovel creek from there. We started on a small trail to a campsite, but then it disappeared. We bushwhacked from there and soon stumbled across a high-quality trail. It had horse poop on it so it looks like packers use it. The trail goes to a nice campsite around 3200ft where the terrain steepens. From there the trail quality deterioriates but it is still followable.
Nice takeout slabs
Nice takeout slabs
Hiking up Shovel Gorge
Hiking up Shovel Gorge
Shovel Gorge
Shovel Gorge
The waterfall below Shovel Lake. Go up right side.
The waterfall below Shovel Lake. Go up right side.
Eventually we emerged from the trees in a talus field in Shovel Gorge. The Gorge has impressive slabby cliffs on the west on Bears Breast Mountain and steep walls on the right. The trail disappears in the gorge, but navigation is easy across the talus. We had to be careful, though, since the rocks were quite slippery and loose. We reached a waterfall at 4000ft and went up on the right, emerging at the edge of Shovel Lake. I noticed the left side indeed had a cliff that would be tricky to get around on foot, though the right side looked doable. But we had the packrafts and decided to paddle. We inflated the boats and made a quick paddle over to a flat grassy beach on the north side. A little ways up the beach we came across an awesome campsite nestled inside a grove of enormous old-growth cedar trees. There was a fire ring and even a carving on a tree that said “Troop 282 8-3-55”. I think that’s older than the oldest summit register I’ve found in Washington (1965 on The Needles).
Paddling across Shovel Lake
Paddling across Shovel Lake
Looking back down Shovel Lake
Looking back down Shovel Lake
Old boy scout carving in the tree from 1955
Old boy scout carving in the tree from 1955
We decided to take advantage of the excellent campsite and camp there for the night. So we ditched our overnight gear and continued moving faster and lighter. The woods above camp were generally open with knee-high blueberry bushes. If it weren’t for the rain I would say the bushwhacking was relatively easy. We hiked up to the confluence of two streams, then crossed over to the right side of the outlet of Lake Rebecca. Matthew led the way bushwhacking up until we reached Lake Rebecca. There would be some excellent camping on the edge of that lake, though not as sheltered as our spot down lower. It didn’t make sense to paddle across that lake, so we continued on the right side. We scrambled up the right side of a smaller waterfall and were soon at the edge of Lake Rowena.
First view of the remote point
First view of the remote point
Paddling across
Paddling across
On the remote point looking down at Lake Rowena
On the remote point looking down at Lake Rowena
I could see the remote point just on the other side of the lake, on a flattish top of a cliff just above a grove of trees. It was just barely below snowline and also barely below cloud line, so it appeared we might get a good view from the top. Matthew had decided to leave his boat at camp, but I still had my packraft. The talus on the side of the lake looked tricky, but Matthew proposed we have a race to the other end. He would scramble the talus and I would take the packraft. He had the advantage that he could start immediately while I had to unpack and inflate the boat. But his progress was slowed by the difficult terrain. I quickly inflated the boat and started paddling directly across. I saw Matthew stop to take a picture at a huge snow arch, but it looked like we would be close. The finish line was a boulder we’d picked out directly beneath the remote point. I paddled harder as Matthew started jogging on easier ground. I definitely hit zone 5 exertion, which I don’t think I’ve ever done paddling. Somehow we reached the boulder within 5 seconds of each other (I was slightly ahead). It’s hard to say the packraft increased speed when we were that close, but I’d still argue it increased fun to not have to scramble the wet talus field. I moored the boat on the shore, then we started hiking. We scrambled up the right edge of the cliff band, then cut left across the top and reached the remote point by 4pm. It was actually a very scenic location. It was on a boulder on a flat area above the cliff band with great views of Lake Rowena below. We could see the cliffs of Mt Hinman above us, and I bet the summit would have been visible if not for the clouds. There was a half inch of snow on the boulders and it started actively snowing shortly after we reached the point.
View from the remote point
View from the remote point
Matthew hiking back out
Matthew hiking back out
Paddling out
Paddling out
I built a small cairn and Matthew built a small snowman and we took a few pictures. Unfortunately the weather was a bit too nasty to warrant staying long, so we soon descended. Back at the boat I paddled to an impressive snowfield on the edge of the lake and we took some pictures at a snow arch. We took our time getting back, and I packed the boat back up at the outlet.
Paddling out
Paddling out
Paddling out
Paddling out
Lake Rebecca
Lake Rebecca
From there we retraced our route bushwhacking back to camp by 5:30pm. We were both soaked from the snow and rain and bushwhacking through wet bushes. In the remaining daylight we set up a big tarp, put our gear and the tent under it, and cooked dinner. After a few hours we finally dried out our drenched clothes and went to bed. Sunday morning we were woken up at sunrise by intense wind, which I think was from the bomb cyclone offshore. Even with the shelter of the monster cedar trees I was still a bit nervous about the tent blowing over. We carefully broke down camp in the morning, inflated our boats, and started off across the lake around 8am. We’d hoped to fish, and expected better luck since we’d actually seen some trout in the lake, but the wind and rain made that not appealing.
Paddling back across Shovel Lake Sunday morning
Paddling back across Shovel Lake Sunday morning
Hiking down Shovel Gorge
Hiking down Shovel Gorge
Hiking down Shovel Gorge
Hiking down Shovel Gorge
We quickly paddled across the windy lake and took out on the other side in the rain. From there we retraced our route down Shovel Gorge and back along the secret unofficial trail. This time we followed the trail all the way to the PCT. It turns out the secret trail starts at the sharp right angle turn a quarter mile northbound on the PCT from the Waptus River bridge. It’s easy to miss, and I didn’t even see it hiking in Saturday morning. We hiked back down to Waptus Lake and put in at the same slabby boat launch. By then it started raining really hard. I had regrettably forgotten my rain pants and left my spray skirt at home to save weight, and regretted those decisions sitting in the cold rain in the boat. We tried fishing again but again got no bites, despite seeing a few fish surfacing.
Paddling down Waptus River
Paddling down Waptus River
Back at the trail
Back at the trail
Hiking out
Hiking out
This time we paddled all the way to the outlet and paddled down the Waptus River until the trail crossing. It looked like it would have been fun to continue paddling farther out, but we hadn’t researched the river and were worried about tough rapids. I think it would probably be better in the spring anyway with a bit more flow, since it was getting pretty shallow even for the packrafts then. The hike out was easy but wet. We did see two other people on the trail, the only ones all weekend, and made it back to the car by 3:30pm.

Anne Elk, Randito, Fedor, Gil, Hiker Mama, Brushbuffalo, Kim Brown, Joey, zimmertr, Slim, RichP, Tom, rubywrangler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:15 pm 
Nice job getting out there this weekend. That wind Sunday morning was pretty exciting and must have been interesting rafting weather. Cool trip idea. Brings back fond memories of visiting Rebecca and Rowena in the rain.

Eric Gilbertson
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 10:54 pm 
Looks like fun, not sure if you can see the point in Jake's shot from Bear's Breast. For sure visible looking down from the questionably labeled La Bohn Gap on maps (probably the easier way in via Williams, but not as much adventure)!

Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 11:49 pm 
Great trip report. Curious about your pack raft. How heavy and what brand?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 7:04 am 
Maybe Alpacka, 5 lbs, been there with mine but came in a different way. Good job.

Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostTue Oct 26, 2021 6:45 pm 
Thanks!
Quote:
Looks like fun, not sure if you can see the point in Jake's shot from Bear's Breast. For sure visible looking down from the questionably labeled La Bohn Gap on maps (probably the easier way in via Williams, but not as much adventure)!
Yes, you can see it in Jakes shot from Bear's Breast but just barely can't see it from the picture from La Bohn Gap. I think if the weather was nice La Bohn Gap could work, but didn't seem fun last weekend in a whiteout. Here's a better picture of the location of the point (based on greg's calculations on peakbagger):
Remote point location
Remote point location
Quote:
Curious about your pack raft. How heavy and what brand?
I have the Alpacka Denali Llama with spray deck, cargo fly, and pack attachment straps. I just weighed it and it's 6.5 lbs. Maybe heavier than timerghost's since I have the extra fixins on it (and might be a bit damp still). I don't think Alpacka sells that anymore but the classic looks the same now.
Quote:
been there with mine but came in a different way.
Cool - did you approach from La Bohn Gap?

Tom
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 11:35 am 
As someone who appreciates a remote place far more than the top of a peak (nothing wrong with the latter of course), your plan to find the remotest places in our wildernesses is a novel, fun approach. Well done and I look forward to the next one….

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 2:03 pm 
Thats a really great trip. I did the same trip but in from Williams lake and out via Ivanhoe. Here are a two joe bobs rafting and even MORE remote ALW lake. LOL. With those rafts you should have thought about rafting out Waptus outlet.
Hinman lake thru the Necklace Valley 379
Hinman lake thru the Necklace Valley 379
Hinman lake thru the Necklace Valley 320
Hinman lake thru the Necklace Valley 320

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Obi Tony Kenobi, ozzy
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 3:06 pm 
That looks cool. So the most remote point in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness is about 1/2 mile from Chain Lakes....where quite a few folk go. Oh. And thanks for not inviting me! That looks like one big wet adventure!!!

Art is an adventure.
Roald

Roald
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 3:13 pm 
What a terrific project! And such stout execution. You make it look like fun. Thank you for sharing. In better weather, I also think the route over the fake La Bohn Gap is shorter. But your rafts rock. You've got to give it to the 1955 Boy Scouts. I doubt those troops get up that far much anymore.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 6:03 pm 
Thanks for sharing but I have to say you and I have a "difern't idier of a good time"! Which type of fun was it for you?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 7:20 pm 
Oh and by the way, the last time I was at Rebecca lake I saw a very large grizzly bear.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 7:50 pm 
I recall seeing scat in the area around Rebecca and Rowena. Bears seem to agree as far as remote.

Eric Gilbertson

Eric Gilbertson
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 8:52 pm 
Quote:
With those rafts you should have thought about rafting out Waptus outlet.
Looks like a fun paddle on Hinman Lake! Yes, we actually paddled down the first half mile or so of Waptus River, but it got thin and we were scraping a lot so we bailed at the trail crossing. I think spring would be better with higher flow. Or maybe this weekend after more rain.
Quote:
And thanks for not inviting me! That looks like one big wet adventure!!!
Yeah, the trip would probably have been funner in drier weather. At least the lakes weren't frozen over yet though.
Quote:
You've got to give it to the 1955 Boy Scouts. I doubt those troops get up that far much anymore.
Yes, that was impressive. I wonder if there was ever an official maintained trail in to Shovel Lake. It could have easily disappeared in shovel gorge from rockfall in the past 65 years.
Quote:
Which type of fun was it for you?
I would say it was still the type of fun where it was fun while I was doing it and when I got back, except maybe for the part where I was paddling out Sunday in the pouring rain without my spray skirt getting my legs soaked. The spray skirt is definitely worth its weight.
Quote:
I recall seeing scat in the area around Rebecca and Rowena. Bears seem to agree as far as remote.
We saw a lot of evidence of bears as well.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Oct 27, 2021 9:03 pm 
That Scout Troop is still active. There are some photos from the 50's under the history section in this link and it looks like they did do some pretty adventurous stuff in those days. Some from '55 show they did a week-long trip in the Dutch Miller Gap area. They might appreciate seeing your photo of the tree. Those boys would be in their 70's and 80's now. http://troop282.net