Forum Index > Trail Talk > backpacking in central Washington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 7:06 pm 
Ancient Lakes area also touches the Columbia River. I would think that water should be safe for filtering and drinking!?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 7:10 pm 
Gwen wrote:
You might look into the Juniper Dunes Wilderness. It's dry, so you'd have to carry water, but it could be a really interesting and different trip. I've been wanting to check it out myself. I think D Insco went in there once; might pm him for details. Permit required, but I think you just call the Spokane BLM office to get that.
Juniper Dunes can make for a pleasant overnight, but, as mentioned, you will needs to bring your own water. Probably fine, because there's not really enough there, there to spend more than one night

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 7:14 pm 
RatherBOutdoors wrote:
Ancient Lakes area also touches the Columbia River. I would think that water should be safe for filtering and drinking!?
If you don't mind a bit of orchard spray and heavy metals. There are orchards up and down the river that are right next to the river. The Canadians have sent a lot of toxic stuff downriver. Plus, the garbage dump for Wenatchee used to be on the river bank, where the riverfront park is now located. I do not know what the life of stuff from a garbage dump is.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 7:17 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
RatherBOutdoors wrote:
If you don't mind a bit of orchard spray and heavy metals. There are orchards up and down the river that are right next to the river. The Canadians have sent a lot of toxic stuff downriver. Plus, the garbage dump for Wenatchee used to be on the river bank, where the riverfront park is now located. I do not know what the life of stuff from a garbage dump is.
OK, then, probably not so safe... dizzy.gif

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 8:32 pm 
RatherBOutdoors wrote:
Even if you ignore the agricultural pollutants, the Columbia is a good 2.5+ miles from anywhere you'd want to be camping.