Forum Index > Gear Talk > hiking boots for kids
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kvpair

kvpair
PostTue Nov 16, 2021 6:14 pm 
How do y'all do it? My son (currently 11) goes through shoes every 6-8 months size wise. My cheap genes are rebelling at buying him hiking boots that only last a few months. Consignment? Something else?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Nov 16, 2021 6:29 pm 
Are you looking for something specific, like waterproofness? We have a similar age kid and just use normal shoes for everything. They're pretty well thrashed by the time it's time to go up a size. I did buy a giant pair of snow boots that we occasionally carry when they might come in handy. Should last 2 years. Also, it's nice to have kids of different ages in your circle of friends and family so you can have a hand-me-down chain.

kvpair

kvpair
PostTue Nov 16, 2021 8:10 pm 
Thanks Neek. In summer we use trail runner shoes and they seem to work well. Fall and winter is where we are struggling a bit (waterproofness). Good idea on the snow boots. Any brand suggestions?

neek

neek
PostTue Nov 16, 2021 9:08 pm 
I'm not very creative. Just got whatever they had at REI. (Looks like they have a lot more now - ours are Baffin.) Consignment is a good idea. I've heard good things about Wonderland in Fremont. Another thing worth mentioning - got the smallest size Microspikes too. They fit the boots perfectly and make him a lot more confident on snow. (Hard for kids to kick steps for a long period of time.) Good work getting the kiddo out in the off season. Various activities (and whining) tend to get in the way here.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Nov 16, 2021 11:21 pm 
I used to get hiking boots from Fred Meyer when my kids were little. They have a brand, I think it's called Northside? that is decently water resistant and comfortable enough for them. They held up pretty well. My kids went through a phase where they fit better than better brands like Keens.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
kvpair

kvpair
PostWed Nov 17, 2021 9:16 am 
Thanks a lot, Hiker Mama and Neek. I can certainly relate to the whining. When he is out playing soccer in cold rain - no problem. Hiking OTOH, the whine begins. Unfortunately, none of our friends do any hiking with their kids so the used boots conduit is non-existent frown.gif

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostSat Nov 20, 2021 7:57 pm 
My 3 boys are growing fast! Advantage of 3 boys, that I buy good hiking shoes once, and they last for all 3 of them. I bought women small sizes at REI garage sale, or used at other places. You can get very good deal on smaller woman size professional brand name boots. Because they are mostly for snow, and not used much (they are usually good only for one season), you can resale them. Btw, I have few good hiking shoes I need to sell, because my boys outgrew them. They are woman sizes 6.5 to 9, I think. I will try to post them next week.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC