Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > FYI: Drive polite in Seattle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 1:05 am 
Just gotta intimidate the court. To get tockets removed you just gotta show up and SCARE them into waiving it. Issue a threat!! That's probably what the aforementioned law men are doing!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 9:09 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Just gotta intimidate the court. To get tockets removed you just gotta show up and SCARE them into waiving it. Issue a threat!! That's probably what the aforementioned law men are doing!
Jeanine Mucklestone gives that as an example of an approach that doesn't work on her website. A typical grounds for dismissal is that the officer didn't provide sufficient detail in the citation. Attorneys specializing in ticket fixing know all the judges and the court procedures in great detail and what arguments work with which judges. I've used Jeanine once, when my then teenage son got a reckless driving charge for making a California Stop. She was able to have the charges reduced to Negligent Driving 2 and fine of $500, much better than the potential maximum penalty of a year in jail. Her fee for that was $2500 - my son's car sat on blocks for two years while he worked a crummy job to pay me back for the attorney fee and the fine. He seems to have learned his lesson with no tickets or accidents in the subsequent 20 years.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 12:01 pm 
The new cameras for ticketing intersection blockers was liberally advertised in the media. Having been caught in the ones happening on Mercer many times in the distant past and seeing how this behavior just snowballs a traffic mess, I'm not against it. Since we're also discussing ticket mitigation - one of these cameras caught me on Market & 15th NW in Ballard, making what was was told later was called a "California Stop". I forget why I was in a hurry. I knew that there were 2-3 seconds before the light turned green for the cars starting up in he opposite direction, so I made a fast right. I forget the size of the ticket, but it wasn't as high as what Randito's kid got. I decided to contest the ticket. My argument to the magistrate was that a "right on red" was legal when, as the law says, "it is safe to do so". Magistrate said, "OK, let's have a look." He countered with what I figured he'd say, "You're supposed to come to a full stop." <Sigh> He offered to reduce the fine. I was on disability at the time and had a mess of hospital bills, and told him why I felt I really couldn't afford it. Unbeknownst to me there's a program where fines could be waived in such circumstances in lieu of a dollar equivalent of community service (at $15/hr). You go to the cashier, they enter his judgement and give you a list of nonprofits you can choose to volunteer with. I took it. Later the non-profit has to validate your service. It's a great idea.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
neek

neek
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 12:27 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Since we're also discussing ticket mitigation - one of these cameras caught me on Market & 15th NW in Ballard, making what was was told later was called a "California Stop". I forget why I was in a hurry. I knew that there were 2-3 seconds before the light turned green for the cars starting up in he opposite direction, so I made a fast right. I forget the size of the ticket, but it wasn't as high as what Randito's kid got. I decided to contest the ticket.
This sort of thing really irks me, more or less for the reason you described. What's safer: screeching to a full stop and then zooming off, or rolling along very slowly for a few seconds while looking around carefully? I understand we don't want people blowing through red lights and stop signs, but there's a pretty obvious difference. Anyway I'm glad the community service option exists.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 12:41 pm 
neek wrote:
What's safer: screeching to a full stop and then zooming off, or rolling along very slowly for a few seconds while looking around carefully?
Yeah, I know. But I was really pushing the excusable, I guess. I didn't "roll along very slowly". I did slow down, but not by a whole lot. Might have even been slightly speeding to make the light (current city speed is now 25 mph rolleyes.gif ). I knew how much time I had before the other cars started moving. The judge had me look at the video. Couldn't argue with that. shakehead.gif Thinking back on the incident, I was only a few more blocks away from home. I think I needed to pee badly, not that telling the judge that would have improved chances of getting the fine waived.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
neek

neek
PostFri Nov 19, 2021 1:05 pm 
Well, very noble of you to fall on your sword, as it were. Still I suspect there are drivers out there doing much more dangerous things and getting away with them. As evidenced by all the ghost bikes around here, even on quiet neighborhood streets. And by my experience being regularly harassed for "only" doing 30 in a 25. (Grr. I miss the days when someone had to walk in front waving a flag, warning pedestrians of the oncoming horseless carriage.)

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Nov 20, 2021 7:46 am 
neek wrote:
drivers out there doing much more dangerous things and getting away with them
Lynnwood put in traffic cameras, and, as near as I can tell laid off the patrol officers. Now folks know that traffic enforcement is only at the intersections and they drive like absolute jerks in between. The only time in my life I have been cited for any infraction is for a California stop in Mallderwood. There was no traffic in the video except me. If you replay the video: 1. ...at full speed, I stopped. 2. ...at half speed, I stopped. 3. ...at 1/4 speed, well... rolleyes.gif I used to prefer shopping in person. Since that stupid ticket, now I avoid Lynnwood as much as possible and shop online a lot more. Do you suppose that was the outcome envisioned by the city council when they got the brilliant idea to put in predatory traffic cameras? confused.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Nov 23, 2021 8:01 am 
I happened to be driving circles in that zone yesterday morning. Westake and Thomas. Google maps told me to turn right in 1,000'. Put me in a bus lane, no right turn allowed. 136$ fine. Honest mistake, but it probably looked bad It doesn't look like they don't have a camera there though.

BigBrunyonEnjoyerAI

BigBrunyonEnjoyerAI
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 11:01 am 
Many people are confused about RIGHT OF WAY at four way stops. No longer! When a car with no windows and door handles arrives at the intersection the RIGHT OF WAY immediately switches to the guy driving with a phone charger

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 7:35 pm 
I just put MUD on my license plate!!