Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rescue on Three Fingers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 3:43 pm 
Got a mailing from Snohomish County Search and Rescue today, Three Fingers is featured

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 3:45 pm 
Gwen, he uses his real name, so not as if he would be hard to find. I suppose you could report the activity to youtube and push to get him deplatformed if he continues to fly drones where illegal. The only applicable content violation I see of youtube's terms would be promoting dishonesty, which flying of drones where illegal could loosely qualify.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 4:42 pm 
Randito wrote:
Gwen wrote:
Be nice if they could find out who he is and fine him for flying a drone in the Wilderness. Some social media or YouTube video is what got the kid(s) who vandalized Pilchuck maybe 8-10 years ago caught. Also, (and I might be wrong), but this looks old because I thought we replaced that rope with a synthetic (yellow) one that was a bit heftier. That may be a detail Im not remembering properly. (I take that back. The TH sign board is way more damaged than it used to be. Maybe someone replaced the rope that we replaced.)
Good luck with that. Drone enforcement lies entirely with the FAA. Almost all enforcement actions have occurred on the east coast and for actions that posed an immediate threat to people in some form, e.g.tge chump who crashed his drone 70 from the court during the US Open only recieved a modest fine. https://www.vice.com/en/article/xyga8a/faa-drone-fines
Well not sure about USFS personnel, but NPS personnel can and have cited drone operators. AFAIK, they have also levied fines against them. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 10:33 am 
Tom wrote:
Gwen, he uses his real name, so not as if he would be hard to find. I suppose you could report the activity to youtube and push to get him deplatformed if he continues to fly drones where illegal. The only applicable content violation I see of youtube's terms would be promoting dishonesty, which flying of drones where illegal could loosely qualify.
Maybe ask NCCC or Pilchuk Audubon Society to sue him and YouTube for ... well I'm sure they could think of something to tie them up in the civil courts for a few years. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 12:14 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Maybe ask NCCC or Pilchuk Audubon Society to sue him and YouTube for ... well I'm sure they could think of something to tie them up in the civil courts for a few years. Rumi
Perhaps we need a law similar to Texas Senate Bill 8, empowering individuals to sue drone operators and collect a minimum of $10,000 bounty.

Carbonj, coldrain108, Chief Joseph  Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Nov 22, 2021 8:42 pm 
DadFly wrote:
I have told my daughters that if my mind goes just send me out in the mountains on a stormy day with a light jacket.
The thread drift that started with Dadfly’s post kept reminding me of something but I couldn’t put my finger on it until today, as I was moving some books around. Since there was a fair bit of interest in the drifted topic, I’ll drift a bit more here, rather than post it in the “What are you reading” saloon thread. A few years ago I found a used cc of the book “Good Morning Midnight - Life and Death in the Wild” by Chip Brown. I got into it about 40 pages, got distracted & didn’t finish it, but will now. From the book’s cover: “On February 6, 2000, 67 year old Guy Waterman - naturalist, musician, scholar, outdoorsman, respected author and devoted husband - decided to climb a New Hampshire mountain, lie down on the cold stones and die overnight of exposure. An experienced mountaineer who had written several books on wilderness issues, Waterman embarked on this final hike wearing only a thin jacket and carrying a note reading. ‘Do not take special efforts to save life. Death is intended.’ But why? The fine journalist Chip Brown has taken up the brave task of trying to answer that question.” I appreciate true stories of complex people in extremis. A bit morbid perhaps but relevant on multiple levels for a number of us, I’d imagine. A chance to reflect on deeper issues, as opposed to being distracted by the latest media hyperbole.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Nov 22, 2021 8:58 pm 
"May you live in interesting times"

Anne Elk
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Nov 22, 2021 9:21 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
The fine journalist Chip Brown has taken up the brave task of trying to answer that question.
Suicide is suicide. Unless the departed leaves an explanation, it's nigh impossible for those left behind to comprehend. Those that remove themselves suffer an extreme mental anguish that those who do not will never truly understand. Or they are faced with a fate (such as alzheimers) that they wish to avoid, for whatever reason, and that is a decision that needs to be made while they are still capable because once they are not, the are sealed in their life of excruciatingly slow decay.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin

Anne Elk
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 23, 2021 10:42 am 
I helped a friend clean out his daughter's apartment after she committed suicide using pills and alcohol. Everywhere in her place there were post it notes with positive affirmations she had written to herself. Unfortunately a complex set of physical and metal health challenges made day to day living unbearable for her. Cleaning her apartment and seeing all the notes, I was left with the feeling that she had done everything she could to make her life worthwhile and felt compassion for how much pain she was struggling with. Her death is still an unhealed wound for her parents. Another friend of mine had a tenant commit suicide in the apartment they were renting from him using helium , leaving behind her son that had just started college. This was very hard on him. As on the day she took her life, he was teaching an all day seminar and had turned his phone off and when he turned it back on found a voice mail message from he indicating her intent. Unfortunately by the time he got the message it was too late. He was left pondering "what ifs" Part of his recovery from this was to gut the apartment down to the studs and and completely renew it, even though there was no physical damage to the apartment. His tenant had "joked" about suicide, but never in a manner that he had taken seriously. Much to his regret. If anyone you know (including yourself) expresses any feeling of self harm or struggling with the will to live, take it seriously. In the states the suicide hotline is 800-273-8255.

Anne Elk, Gwen, runup, RumiDude, Chief Joseph, rbuzby, dave allyn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Nov 23, 2021 2:19 pm 
Gwen wrote:
Suicide is suicide.
I agree, but not completely. For instance if I tried to climb the north face of the Eiger or K2 solo, that would essentially be suicide, yet a colorful one, and I suppose there would be a minuscule chance that I would survive, still. I suppose one would have to be inside others mind to know if it was suicide or a legitimate attempt. The oldest person to summit K-2 was 65, so I have 6 more years to prepare. wink.gif "In 2004, the Spanish climber Carlos Soria Fontán became the oldest person ever to summit K2, at the age of 65.".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
wyattmullen
Wyatt

wyattmullen
Wyatt
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:28 am 
wyattmullen wrote:
I saw this today on YouTube and thought it might be appreciated here:
Considering how many people have watched it in the last couple of days, there could be more rescues next year...and maybe they'll all have drones in the wilderness area to boot. I mean at least he didn't name the location in the title and talk about where it was throughout the video.
Just in case you thought the frenzy around Three Fingers had reached its peak, it's actually just beginning. This is one of the bigger channels on Youtube (8 million subscribers) flagrantly ignoring the prohibited drone policy (unless they got an exception which I seriously doubt). The video is #11 on trending right now meaning it'll probably rack up millions of views. I know it's a bit like beating a dead horse reviving this topic, but my social media is now so full of drone videos from the area that I see a new one every other day. I guess the positive is at least I'm not seeing too much drone usage in other wilderness areas and the video makes it pretty clear how dangerous/how much of a challenge the ascent is. Maybe that will somewhat limit the coming number of rescues. Or perhaps the guiding services should start offering trips up to limit accidents for people who are less prepared. rotf.gif

geyer, zimmertr  jaysway
neek

neek
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:27 am 
wyattmullen wrote:
Just in case you thought the frenzy around Three Fingers had reached its peak, it's actually just beginning. This is one of the bigger channels on Youtube (8 million subscribers) flagrantly ignoring the prohibited drone policy (unless they got an exception which I seriously doubt). The video is #11 on trending right now meaning it'll probably rack up millions of views. I know it's a bit like beating a dead horse reviving this topic, but my social media is now so full of drone videos from the area that I see a new one every other day.
shakehead.gif https://www.perfectjammer.com/drone-signal-jammers.html

SpookyKite89  Anne Elk
SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:30 am 
Oh lord. Those Yes Theory guys on Youtube did a total ripoff this year of a documentary on the honey hunters in Nepal. Real standup guys... shakehead.gif The comments on these video are maddening too. Claiming that other people must have followed them up there since they weren't alone in the lookout. I have run into at least two people running drones in the ALW and another wilderness area this year. The humming of them scares me sh*tless since I am allergic to bees but then I realize it is just some dumb dumbs with drones where they aren't supposed to be.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:40 am 
I wonder if that signal jammer could get you in trouble with the FCC or FAA. I saw a drone flying above Knapsack Pass in MRNP on Saturday as well. Likewise thought I was being buzzed by insects for 2-3 minutes. They scared away a family of bears I was watching too. I never saw the controller. I assume they were hiding in a tent at Mowich Lake or something.

melc

melc
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 1:14 pm