Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 6:32 pm 
I just saw Eternals. I don’t know what’s up with all these critics. It’s a good film, and definitely in Marvel’s top-5. There’s a story, plot twists, and … Maybe, I shouldn’t say what I was going to, since I don’t want to give anything away. I do have to say that the trailers did not give a good impression of how the movie panned out.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 08, 2021 10:30 pm 
Just streamed “The Harder They Fall” a revisionist western with a mostly black cast of real people in an unreal story. Kind of Quinton Tarantino meets Spike Lee meets a spaghetti western. Sets were too clean for the old west and the gun fights while ultra violent were unbelievable. Loved the music. Unique film but I could only understand what was going on by reading summary. Interesting but not great. up.gif up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 11:36 am 
I was totally underwhelmed by The Harder They Fall. The opening sequence was great, and then it just went downhill. As you say, the setup for the gunfights was so lame.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 11:40 am 
While I'm at it, The Rescue, was fantastic! A documentary made by the Oscar winning duo of Free Solo, it describes the rescue of twelve young boys and their soccer coach from a flooded cave in Thailand, an incident that transfixed the World in 2018. While I didn't find it quite as good as Free Solo, possibly because I like mountains more than caves, it was still extremely gripping.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 12:51 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
I just saw Eternals. I don’t know what’s up with all these critics. It’s a good film, and definitely in Marvel’s top-5. There’s a story, plot twists, and … Maybe, I shouldn’t say what I was going to, since I don’t want to give anything away. I do have to say that the trailers did not give a good impression of how the movie panned out.
The trailers did absolutely nothing to interest me in this movie. Marvel usually does a much better job in that department. I'll definitely watch it eventually, but might not make it to the theater. Did you see "Dune?" Figured that one would be of interest to you.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 09, 2021 2:07 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Did you see "Dune?" Figured that one would be of interest to you.
Yup, I saw that one and really enjoyed it. The effects are awesome; in particular, the ornithopters were great. Plus, the cinematography was amazing. I should mention that even if a movie isn't great, if it's filmed beautifully I will enjoy it. This one was beautiful and well made. I did have two negatives: - While it made sense to break this huge story into two, I was left hanging, although it did end in an appropriate spot. - In 2-3 important places the music, nice as it was, was too loud to hear the dialog. It could have been the sound system of the theater I was in though, because I talked to some others who did not perceive this. The director, Denis Villeneuve, wants to make a trilogy, finishing the films where Dune Messiah ends. I've read the first five Dune books. I would ignore the book series after book-3, Children of Dune; the series goes off the rails after it. Frank Herbert had always set up the original plot as a trilogy, and Children of Dune is where he intended to finish the tale, even when he was working on Dune. Out of these three books, Dune Messiah is short, and my least favorite. I always thought that it was simply a bridge from the first book to the third. So, does it make sense to finish the films with that one? Actually, yes, because the shorter length works well once Villeneuve had already split the longer Dune into a two-part film.

pianodirt

pianodirt
PostWed Nov 10, 2021 12:11 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
I've read the first five Dune books. I would ignore the book series after book-3, Children of Dune; the series goes off the rails after it.
I agree completely. "...off the rails" nails it! The fourth book was bad. The fifth was just weird and gross.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 11, 2021 8:46 pm 
“The French Dispatch” saw inn theater today, director Wes Anderson, Francis McDormand, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson Jeffrey Wright, Edward Norton, Willemstad Defoe, and many others. Fictional Magazine based on The New Yorker and it’s writers through the years. If you hate Wes Anderson you will not like this. Probable best of his most recent films. We enjoyed the film and were entertained well, what more could you ask. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:15 am 
The Octopus Teacher on Netflix; worth a watch for nature lovers. Dune was great. I read all 6 of Frank`s originals (and a whole bunch of the sequels cowritten by his son) and think a trilogy from the first two makes sense. Children of Dune would make an interesting film, but would be more difficult to make theatrically, I think....God Emperor Dune is a dud (IMHO) and I can`t imagine making a film of it; Heretics of Dune was a cool read and could make an interesting film but so far off the timeline of the first books, I doubt they will ever get that far....Beyond that, Dune would need to be a supremely popular film series to get into the rest!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 2:18 pm 
I dont know that much about the characters in this (Eternals) movie, but Thanos was an eternal. i wonder if that plays into it at all.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Nov 12, 2021 6:13 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I dont know that much about the characters in this (Eternals) movie, but Thanos was an eternal. i wonder if that plays into it at all.
They do allude to Thanos being an Eternal in the movie, so yes. Not saying any more.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Nov 24, 2021 11:04 am 
Riders of Justice - Don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. An intense, offbeat, funny drama about fringe techies and a professional soldier, united by a tragic train accident. Good watch. https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3304767513?ref_=vp_rv_0

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSat Dec 04, 2021 8:43 pm 
Just finished watching Dune and I thought it was an okay movie. I read the book about 20 years ago and I struggled to stay interested in the book and the movie was the same for me. I will say the visuals were awesome and for the most part the visuals matched with what I imagined they would look like.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Toni

Toni
PostMon Dec 13, 2021 10:14 pm 
First movie since Covid was.....The French Dispatch down.gif Not a Wes Anderson fan, the person I went with loved it. Belfast up.gif up.gif up.gif House of Gucci up.gif up.gif up.gif

There is no Planet B
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 11:08 pm 
Power of the Dog, on Netflix, interesting film about disfunctional characters on a Montana ranch circa 1925. A list actors up for several awards and contender for Oscar. I will not disclose plot elements but somewhat disturbing R rated. up.gif up.gif