Forum Index > Trail Talk > Steliko Lookout, Ardenvoir
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Nov 21, 2021 7:01 am 
Steve and I hiked up to the Steliko LO yesterday just to get out. The road is in good shape for any kind of a vehicle, but steep and icy and would require chains to be driven safely. The lookout is in really nice condition. There was a notice posted up there saying the rental prices may go up significantly in future, maybe to around $90 per night. But, I have seen a notice on all the national forest campground sites this summer stating that rates for camping may go up also.
kitchen taken thru the window.
kitchen taken thru the window.
roll out double decker beds.
roll out double decker beds.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Nov 21, 2021 8:50 am 
I checked on some dates on Rec.gov and that place is mostly booked up way out. I thought it was already about 100 bucks per night. Looks really nice. up.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 am 
I don't know! The wind was blowing, we were cold and the print was small to read well without my glasses. I saw the figure $90 on there somewhere. Maybe that was a generic sign that applied to the campgrounds also. Anyway, it looked like it would be a fun place to stay for low elevation open area hiking. There are old logging roads all over up there. It even has a nice new toilet and you can get 4 bars of cell coverage if you are so inclined.

RichP
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Nov 24, 2021 1:49 pm 
I spent the night in Steliko Lookout over New Years in 2019 and it was really nice. Only cost $50 for the reservation back then, looks like it's $100 through Recreation.gov now. The road was gated at the work center so I had to walk up the road. I'd hoped to take my XC skis and explore all the roads but there wasn't enough snow on the ground and the weather was bad so I just hung around in the tower. Solar panels provided plenty of power to run the lights and keep my phone charged. The propane stove and heater worked really well too. Almost too well. Even on lowest power it got very warm with a lot of condensation. I think this has been addressed since my stay. Nice place, I'd stay again.

ejain, Cyclopath
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Nov 25, 2021 9:38 am 
That is a $100 view!