Forum Index > Trail Talk > Index Galena road update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Nov 24, 2021 1:28 pm 
17 years...!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Nov 25, 2021 9:50 pm 
Why so long? Failure to fund? It only took 10 years or less to put a man on the moon from the date of the JFK speech! It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Blanca. Sorry to know it’s so overrun. I used to go up there on rainy weekdays to my “sekrit” huckleberry patch and not see a soul - though some conscientious ranger braved the rain once & ticketed my truck for not having a permit. winksmile.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
timberghost

timberghost
PostSat Nov 27, 2021 11:48 am 
Curios as to why it's closed to the public after the construction for year has stopped for the winter. Guess there might be potential for vandalism.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 27, 2021 12:43 pm 
I'm just glad that the Middle Fork Snoqualmie washout repair was made in a single season instead of the predictions by some that now that the road was paved, repairs would take as long as Index-Galena. Thank you King County road department.

mosey
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Nov 27, 2021 2:46 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Why so long?
If you look toward the beginning of this thread and other threads on this washout you'll read about the lawsuits from various groups trying to prevent this road from ever being rebuilt. (like on the Mountain Loop, Suiattle River Rd, Illabot Creek Road, etc.)

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Nov 27, 2021 5:14 pm 
Thanks Schroder. I was vaguely aware of some objections to repair but can’t believe it’s taken that long. It’s rare that environmentalists’ objections can hold off a project that long. Fighting a project when corporations are involved, they tend to lose much faster. The road closure I’m most familiar with is Dosewallips. Keep thinking/hoping that will get fixed one day.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 10:22 am 
I don’t know that any lawsuit threats was the sole delay. (the Dose issue was not only enviromental, but funding. The USFS signed it for repair, but NPS refused to kick in any funding) Getting it right environmentally even without a lawsuit threat takes a lot of time for a road like this. This road corridor has a lot of environmental considerations, more strict than federal, because the county is involved; Snohomish Co is very strict. I think also, the location of the new roadbed was a time-delay. The geology of the site hasn’t been cooperating for the last phase of the construction, requiring a lot of work; studies, re-studies-re-re-re studies, relocation, and more studies. And my knee-jerk reaction (if one can have a knee-jerk reaction on a 17-years project) is that I’m not all that sure the final design is on stable ground even now, as they keep pushing the date of expected opening. If the geology wasn’t suitable in past years, unless Jesus came and made it a solid rock for the road, how did it suddenly become solid? And I wonder if they had to get new funding or re-apply for existing sources. Some of it may have expired. So I think the whole process is a giant Confusing Goo of Delay.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

ChinookPass
Gil

Gil
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 11:32 am 
Well, when it's rebuilt, we can see if it washes out again so we can get this again!
Washed-out Index-Galena road near the Wild Sky Wilderness in Washington state. Nikon D300, Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8.
Washed-out Index-Galena road near the Wild Sky Wilderness in Washington state. Nikon D300, Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 1:20 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
... a giant Confusing Goo of Delay.
That’s a good one! And likely a spot-on “executive summary”. lol.gif Having skimmed the road repair summary for the road near ... what was it ... the Elwha River campground? - it’s understandable how tough it is these years to plan a repair given the more frequent weather events causing our rivers to reroute themselves like crazy. NPS refusing to kick in $ for the Dose makes no sense considering their campgrounds were most affected. I need to review our threads about these road repair fails. Maybe Uncle Joe could earmark some funds in his “BBB” budget for NPS and NFS recreation road repairs. The CCC reboot.

timberghost

timberghost
PostSat Dec 25, 2021 6:58 am 
Funding for this was in part FEMA.lider did his best to delay this many times .

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Dec 28, 2021 8:59 am 
Blanca lake is probably looking gorgeous for a ski today! Too bad the road isn't finished. I went up to blanca lake during a weather period much like now (squeaked over jack pass). The lake had a chance to completely freeze before it was covered by snow. As I was making my way from Virgini to Blanca, I heard the strangest noise. It sounded something like the biggest grouse I ever heard. As I got closer to the lake, it got louder and louder. It was making me kind of scared. Turns out, the ice was doing that thing where it gets a shooting crack, then that star wars shooting noise. I've heard it tons of times. I've never heard it followed by the sub sonic whoomp whooomp whoooooomp. I've always wanted to hit them in the same conditions, but take a good audio recorder.

Tom, reststep
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Dec 29, 2021 11:22 am 
ale_capone wrote:
I've never heard it followed by the sub sonic whoomp whooomp whoooooomp.
That sounds like the heavy snow layers fracturing & settling. I recall hearing something that would match that description up on a high plateau in the Canadian Rockies on a circle tour to Mt. Assiniboine. We weren't near a lake nor a high angle slope, but it was kinda spooky.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Dec 29, 2021 12:09 pm 
My recent REI avalanche awareness class told me that the "whumpf" noise is an indication of avalanche conditions.
https://avalanche.org/avalanche-encyclopedia/whumpf/

Flickr | Strava

RumiDude, Anne Elk
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Dec 29, 2021 12:16 pm 
You aren't pronouncing it right. wink.gif It was a very loud aquatic whoomp. Not a snow collapse whoomph. Avi danger was low that day. Acrtic freeze after a slow start to the season. Mostly dust on crust type skiing, but probably wind slabs on east slopes. Its called singing ice.. here is a cool video explaining it.

Tom
philfort

philfort
PostWed Dec 29, 2021 3:50 pm 
This is pretty common in the eastern part of the country where lakes often freeze without snow on them. Pew pew pew.