Forum Index > Trail Talk > Jolene Unsoeld
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Nov 29, 2021 8:20 pm 
Jolene died Sunday, at home in Olympia. Former U.S. Congressperson, mountaineer, Mom. Initially politically known in WA State for her perennial booklet, Who Gave, Who Got, How Much, in days before easily accessible information. With sorrow. https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/nov/29/former-rep-jolene-unsoeld-dies-at-age-89/?fbclid=IwAR3GHqHR6DvMV35SXJ_p0NSKbCL-XaBGaSlMJ5dGnyL0S0-3kr89B_ONzsc

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

hikerbiker, Gil  Randito
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Nov 30, 2021 1:51 am 
Amazing woman who, despite so much family tragedy managed to pick herself up and carry on with worthwhile community service. Thanks for posting this.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Pyrites
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostThu Dec 02, 2021 8:34 am 
I had a conversation with her back in the late 90's about environmental issues. Yes. She was a strong and inspiring woman.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.

Pyrites
gb

gb
PostFri Dec 03, 2021 6:09 am 
I remember her as a strong environmental supporter.

Bargainhunter

Bargainhunter
PostFri Dec 03, 2021 9:51 am 
Thanks for posting this. She sounds like a legendary figure who did great things. I was unfamiliar with her but Willi Unsoeld figured prominently in my nascent self-taught mountaineering interest while in high school. He was a prominent figure in some of the first mountaineering books that I ever bought (from the bargain bin of the Strand on B'way) starting with "Ascent: The Spiritual And Physical Quest Of Legendary Mountaineer Willi Unsoeld" and Roskelley's "Nanda Devi: The Tragic Expedition".

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 03, 2021 2:17 pm 
Nancy Pelosi wrote:
Congresswoman Jolene Unsoeld was a pioneering, progressive activist and public servant, whose fearless and principled leadership helped make America more just, equal and strong. “In the House, Congresswoman Unsoeld was admired by all for her courage. With her determined spirit, undaunted voice and down-to-earth nature, she was an effective and inspiring champion for women, children and the planet. She was an early and leading voice for environmental protections, who taught the Congress so much about respecting and preserving the planet. Her leadership to make government more open and transparent and to get rid of big dark money in politics leaves an important legacy. And as a crusader for women’s rights, she was a force for progress and a role model to so many. “On behalf of her friends in the House, we send the condolences of the Congress to her loved ones, and we thank them for sharing her with the country. May it be a comfort to Regon, Krag and Terres to know that Jolene has been united with her beloved Willi and Devi. And may be a comfort to them to know that so many mourn their loss and pray for them at this sad time.
https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/12321

kw, dave allyn, Anne Elk
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 03, 2021 3:49 pm 
Bargainhunter wrote:
Thanks for posting this. She sounds like a legendary figure who did great things. I was unfamiliar with her but Willi Unsoeld figured prominently in my nascent self-taught mountaineering interest while in high school. He was a prominent figure in some of the first mountaineering books that I ever bought (from the bargain bin of the Strand on B'way) starting with "Ascent: The Spiritual And Physical Quest Of Legendary Mountaineer Willi Unsoeld" and Roskelley's "Nanda Devi: The Tragic Expedition".
I as well recall Willi mentioned in many mountaineering books that I have read, so they were related?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 03, 2021 4:09 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I as well recall Willi mentioned in many mountaineering books that I have read, so they were related?
Willi was Jolene's husband. They had four kiddos together: Regon, Krag, Nanda Devi and Terres. Nanda Devi died on an expedition to her namesake mountain in Nepal. Regon and Krag still live in the Olympia area. Willi and Jolene were both remarkable people. My favorite Willi story was a group of Evergreen State Outdoor experience students were hold up in a Logan tent (six person tent) during a snow storm during a winter attempt to climb the West Ridge of Mt Stuart. Willi cracked a joke just as one of the students took a big sip of hot cocoa and laughed such that the hot cocoa erupted through her nose and back into her mug. She then handed the mug to Willi who was seated by the door and asked him to dump it outside. Willi exclaimed, there is nothing wrong with this hot cocoa and drank it right down. It seems opposites find something of value in each other.

RodF, Chief Joseph, dave allyn
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Dec 06, 2021 7:41 pm 
Off trail rambler

Nancyann, Tom
gb

gb
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 6:03 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
https://www.climbing.com/news/jolene-unsoeld-lost-daughter-husband-to-mountains-became-congresswoman/ Well worthwhile article
Thanks for the link to the article.

Anne Elk, Pyrites
Tnarg

Tnarg
PostFri Dec 10, 2021 11:27 pm 
I met her at a Democratic Party BBQ in Clark County back when she was running for reelection against Linda Smith. I was just a young teen, but she left a really big impression on me. She'll be sorely missed, hopefully she's climbing up there with Willi and Nanda now.

kw