Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gifts for hiking or outdoors
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Dec 03, 2021 4:53 pm 
I'm supposed to come up with $150 worth of gift ideas (for myself!) for a upcoming gift exchange on Christmas. Problem is, I can't think of anything, since I pretty much have what I need already. But out of desperation, I tried going to Amazon and submitting "gifts for hikers" and was immediately inundated with such things as countless numbers of heavy multi-tools including hammers for tent stakes, lots of "survival kits", massive first aid kits, etc. It appears that they don't make much of a distinction between "car camping gear" and "hiking gifts". So I thought I'd start a thread populated by "real hikers" (that's you folks, mostly)! Any ideas? Got any favorite gadget, clothing items, etc. actually useful for real hikers? My own ideas (which I already have, unfortunately): Homemade gravity-feed water filter (I love mine!) such as made from these bags and this filter (including attachment kit) and some 1/4" tubing; Tiny Swiss Army knife (0.7 ozs) Super light weight mesh ditty bags -- strong but virtually weightless and very compact since they don't hold air Darn tough socks -- Outstanding fit, comfort and durability Lightweight but good quality adjustable compass that fits on your watch band and weighs only 0.2 ounce Anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps clothing items you don't know you need till you get one?

bk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Dec 03, 2021 5:15 pm 
https://zpacks.com/collections/accessories I can almost always find something here that I want.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

Navy salad, Nancyann, Joey, Cyclopath
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 03, 2021 5:36 pm 
You can never have enough sun hats. I'm always losing mine, good thing my wife gifts me new ones on occasion. Nice that they double as rain hats when I go out to soak in the hot tub at night.

Exmoor, Navy salad, Malachai Constant
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Dec 03, 2021 6:06 pm 
Get a couple of HMG Dyneema Pods for organizing stuff in your backpack. You can compress almost any size down sleeping bag in the large one and several down insulating layers in one of the small ones. They are spendy but within your budget number and you would be amazed how well they utilize space in your pack since they are pack shaped (especially if you have an HMG pack, but they will work in almost any pack). And, they are just over one ounce each.

Navy salad
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Dec 04, 2021 10:31 am 
Feathered Friends down booties, if you don't have something like them already. So warm and cozy!

Chief Joseph, Walkin' Fool
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Dec 04, 2021 12:33 pm 
I love my Z Packs front pack. It is designed so you can use it with different brands of backpacks and daypacks, works with all of mine. The Dyneema Pods look like a good idea, probably do a better job than ziplock bags for keeping clothes dry due to condensation issues with the ziplocks. Feathered Friends down booties look wonderful although the 9.5 oz weight would be a consideration for me on longer trips. For fun I like to give interesting/unusual but yummy-looking backpacking meals from some of the little niche companies out there. Looking forward to more ideas, great thread!

kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Dec 04, 2021 1:04 pm 
Donations to your favorite outdoor related charities/non profits. Books (updated hiking guides? Outdoor adventure?) would be my other suggestion if it absolutely has to be a thing. For those of us fortunate not to need any more stuff, I think it's great to avoid consuming more stuff, especially if you have to think this hard about it. *steps off soapbox*

RumiDude, Navy salad, Aussie, natural_log
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostSat Dec 04, 2021 1:10 pm 
Some recent purchases I'm happy with: NW Alpine Black Spider hoody. Similar to Patagonia R1 but nicer material and made in Oregon. Rechargeable headlamp. I got a $20 Petzl headlamp last year that uses 3 aaa or a rechargeable pack. I spent $30 more on the battery pack. Get home from a hike and put it on the charger. Always fresh. Bought some OR low gaiters and find myself using them much more than my full size rain gaiters. They keep dirt, rock, twigs out of my shoes. Helpful if you spend a lot of time off trail.

Navy salad
neek

neek
PostSat Dec 04, 2021 2:45 pm 
I always go for consumables. Stuff I wouldn't buy myself, but makes for a nice treat, and won't just become garbage someone has to deal with some day. Fancy olive oil, Scotch, macadamia nuts, chocolate, that weird mushroom coffee, caviar (if that's your thing), etc. - bonus points if it comes directly from a small producer and not Amazon. Don't need any more Darn Tough socks because I just send 'em back for replacement when they get holes smile.gif

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 12:51 pm 
One DIY thought for a gift that is actually green/recyclable as well. We take old Z rests, cut them down to create butt pads for day hikes or backpacking. I like a 10" strip, 3 to 6 folds. Weighs near nothing but creates a reasonable seat when combined with using the pack as a backrest (against a tree or rock). I have a 6 fold one strapped to the back of my daypack.

Off trail rambler
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 1:23 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
We take old Z rests, cut them down to create butt pads
This very thing saved my last backpack trip. My inflatable sleep pad decided to die on day 2. Two butt pads kept me from sleeping directly on the ground. We each had 3' long pieces of old ridge rest pads. I will never be w/o such a backup again.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 2:11 pm 
Yup, also want it in/on my daypack for that unplanned night out. Years back I did a gear test on aluminum emergency bivy sacks, and they are quite viable. Point is you got to have a pad from your butt to your shoulders or you are at a serious disadvantage. You can put your pack below your legs and you are OK there. But your back needs real insulation/cushioning because of the weight baring aspect.

Off trail rambler
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 5:37 pm 
Like to fish or know someone who does?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want

Cascader
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 8:44 pm 
Dark chocolate, dark chocolate w/nuts, and darker chocolate. Rumi~the chocolate~Dude

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Dec 07, 2021 8:56 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Dark chocolate, dark chocolate w/nuts, and darker chocolate.
Emergency chocolate is the most important thing you can carry. Mountaineers Press published a book about people who didn't reach the summit, called Glorious Failures. You would be shocked how many parties were forced to turn back when their chocolate supplies were exhausted.

RumiDude