Kim Brown wrote:
...even an informational sign about the unique geology of the area
What’s that?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Dec 02, 2021 11:25 am 
I knew I shouldn't have opened my big mouth about that sign doh.gif . I don't remember exactly. But it's unique! Something about a giant crack in the world and the canyonic views there. All I know is that the soils are Oso-Getchell Rock Outcrop. (I looked at the planning documents for Morningstar and that's all it says about the geology of the twin falls Lake area). Then I got all involved in the Web Soil Survey site for USDA-NRCS and started fooling around with those maps and soil surveys, which for this area is not available. So then looked at the 1947 and 1984 soil surveys of Snohomish County and started digging on the human history of the area, then started reading about the various soils, then ..... Where was I? OK that was my lunch break for the day.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Dec 02, 2021 12:13 pm 
Hmmm. Perhaps a job for our best known rock expert, Brushbuffalo. biggrin.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Dec 02, 2021 12:14 pm 
Wasn’t referring to the discover pass (which I won’t pay for either) but the other one that you get at the ranger station for hiking trails like big 4. Doesn’t matter, pretty sure they will only repair the catastrophic road failures (maybe) as they have been doing in due time. I will just adapt and deal with it, go slow, etc.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Dec 02, 2021 1:29 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Wasn’t referring to the discover pass (which I won’t pay for either) but the other one that you get at the ranger station for hiking trails like big 4. Doesn’t matter, pretty sure they will only repair the catastrophic road failures (maybe) as they have been doing in due time. I will just adapt and deal with it, go slow, etc.
That's why I mentioned both passes; neither go for road repair.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Dec 09, 2021 11:45 am 
When I hiked into twim falls laks I must have slipped and fell on my ass a dozen times walking on that boardwalk. I finally got off it and walked besides it.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Dec 09, 2021 12:37 pm 
It is for sure a challenge not fall, I have been there maybe half a dozen times and haven't fallen yet, but close. It's kind of fun watching others fall though as long as they don't get hurt. I assume that they installed the boardwalk to protect the fragile vegetation and to limit erosion.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Dec 09, 2021 7:36 pm 
Easy fix (relatively) for the boardwalk - nailed on roofing shingles - like there used to be on the big log that once spanned the trickiest water crossing on the Vesper Peak trail.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Dec 09, 2021 8:59 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I assume that they installed the boardwalk to protect the fragile vegetation and to limit erosion.
Yes, but they chose plyboard - no texture, slick as your grandma's Formica kitchen countertop. It's cheaper than anything else, I suppose. Puncheon with scoring to texture the surface would be very expensive (but worth it). Nailing wire mesh or other material would create a bigger mess as it breaks up and becomes a trip hazard. So then you have people walking on grandma's kitchen countertop PLUS trip hazards. I bet they can't do shingles because of the chemicals that would leach from them. That's a sensitive wet area and within Morningstar Natural Resource Conservation Area, the state's 2nd highest equivalence to federal's wilderness.(Natural Areas being the 1st). But they could probably dig up some other material to use. If I can ever get there again, people like Backpacker Joe would very much enjoy seeing me bust my arse on that Formica trail.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Dec 10, 2021 9:44 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
I bet they can't do shingles because of the chemicals that would leach from them.
Yeah, I figured that might be an issue. What the heck, they could just fall back on the old tried & true method - cut down a few trees and put in an equivalent size mini corduroy road. winksmile.gif

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Dec 10, 2021 10:29 am 
Discovery Park has some metal mesh attached to the boardwalk through the Wolf Tree Nature Trail. I'm sure it felt like a great idea at the time but since it has been installed it has been damaged and is now a tripping hazard.