Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Granite Falls Bridge Preservation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 12:31 pm 
The Granite Falls Historical Society wants the old one preserved for pedestrians as they build a new bridge over the Stilliguamish. Article in the Herald: Granite Falls group urges preservation of bridge slated for demo [Edit] Here's the Snohomish County web page for the replacement project Granite Falls Bridge 102 Replacement

Anne Elk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 12:40 pm 
Not sure why people would care that much about an old bridge that is really not much to look at, although for use as walk bridge seems like a good idea. Plus, would it not cost less to leave it rather than tear it down?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 4:40 pm 
Thanks for posting this news. Love the old-time photos. That bridge was a bone of contention when the Stillaguamish Citizens' Alliance et al were fighting the permitting of the Associated Sand & Gravel Quarry back in he 90's (because of its proximity to the river, destruction of kettle wetlands, etc). It was believed the the huge increase in truck traffic would hasten its demise, as well increase crossing hazards because of truck widths. I learned a lot back then about the relative futility of the regulatory process (which mostly regulates the environmentalists). I wonder what other plans may be afoot for the MLH. In the early 90's and 00's, I was going up there several times a month; I appreciated the "byway-ness" of its National Scenic Byway designation. You couldn't zoom thru the whole Loop because of the gravel section. Kept the traffic down. I wasn't keen for improvements during the several rounds of paving debates. I suspect some will try to get federal "Build Back Better" funds to revive the paving issue, and the bridge replacement is part of the plan, or will instigate one. I'll check with my insider source up near Verlot.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Dec 11, 2021 6:32 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
some will try to get federal "Build Back Better" funds to revive the paving issue
I'm not sure what happened to this. It was approved in 2019 and they were supposed to start paving last summer.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Dec 20, 2021 5:21 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I'm not sure what happened to this. It was approved in 2019 and they were supposed to start paving last summer.
It's been paved now, they wrapped up some time in late August. Best shape I've ever seen it now, but they only resurfaced it with a tar & chip surface rather than actual asphalt, I presume because of how likely it is to slump again.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 7:48 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
It's been paved now, they wrapped up some time in late August. Best shape I've ever seen it now, but they only resurfaced it with a tar & chip surface rather than actual asphalt, I presume because of how likely it is to slump again.
Are you referring to the Waldheim slump near Camp Silverton? I was referring to paving the highway between Barlow Pass and the White Chuck River.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 9:24 am 
I just think it's funny that such a short thread about one particular bridge on the Mtn Loop can quickly become a discussion about 3 separate projects on the Mtn Loop. embarassedlaugh.gif This is inherent in any discussion about road repair west of the crest.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Anne Elk
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 4:47 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Are you referring to the Waldheim slump near Camp Silverton? I was referring to paving the highway between Barlow Pass and the White Chuck River.
Oh, yeah just the slump. Had no idea there was a plan to actually pave the gravel stretch on the east side. That would be great if it actually happens, but I'm not going to hold my breath on it.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 10:25 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Had no idea there was a plan to actually pave the gravel stretch on the east side. That would be great if it actually happens
Yeah, the easier for the riff raff from Darrington to come up and work over the cars parked at Barlow Pass and beyond. Certain biz entities that involve a lot of trucking were probably the biggest proponents, but I'm aware that a number of MLH residents were against it, and I don't see a lot of advantage for recreational users. It certainly will negatively impact the Sauk.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 11:37 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I'm aware that a number of MLH residents were against it
I am a resident and opposed to the proposed paving project. Don't need another highway 2, it's crazy enough as it is. "Let's go to Lake 22"!!!... wink.gif clown.gif hockeygrin.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Anne Elk
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSat Dec 25, 2021 8:09 pm 
Waist of $$

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Feb 01, 2022 12:34 pm 
eek.gif