Forum Index > Trail Talk > Name That Lake...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 11:30 pm 
The Angry Hiker might guess this one... :huh:
The Angry Hiker might guess this one... huh.gif

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostWed Sep 22, 2021 7:13 am 
Snowslide?

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostWed Sep 22, 2021 10:37 am 
Tom wrote:
confused.gif Surely that isn't Lk 22 ?? dizzy.gif lol.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 22, 2021 11:15 am 
The lake is often referred to by the name of creek it feeds, or alternatively, the expression of TAH to a poodle sighting.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 22, 2021 3:21 pm 
Heh thar be a clue. doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
klar

klar
PostTue Oct 05, 2021 4:27 pm 
managed to eke out another trip before the snows fly. This lake is unnamed on the map but there was a nicely made sign on a tree :]

I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat. Edgar Allan Poe
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 5:12 pm 
I'm nostalgic for summer. Let's get this started again.
Tom wrote:
The Angry Hiker might guess this one... :huh:
Tom wrote:
The lake is often referred to by the name of creek it feeds, or alternatively, the expression of TAH to a poodle sighting.
Don't have any idea where to begin with this one... It looks challenging to get to though. I tried going back through TAH's post history and looking at their comics. Even looked at a few lists of lakes in Washington. But couldn't find anything that matches your clues.
klar wrote:
managed to eke out another trip before the snows fly. This lake is unnamed on the map but there was a nicely made sign on a tree :]
Those look a little tall to be Larix lyallii but I still believe they are. Mostly because they're growing up the cirque and the ones on the shore on the right side are pretty Dr. Seussy. If that's so, Wiki says their natural range is above 5,900' in the following areas:
I'm going to go ahead and assume we're dealing with Washington here, and not BC, Alberta, or Idaho. Not for any scientific reason, but because this forum is mostly Washington-oriented. Based on how thick the forest floor is, I don't believe this was taken in any of the higher areas of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness like the Teanaway or Chiwaukum. So we're probably looking at somewhere in the North Cascades. Probably in the Chelan or Entiat Wildernesses. But probably not the Pasayten. The cirque behind it is quite prominent, and the reflection of the lake indicates it's double-peaked. So I would assume it's more on the Northern side of the range. You mention it's not officially named, but I would assume that is because it is a sister to another, more significant lake. And not because it itself is insignificant. The water looks shallow, but the lake is sizeable. So definitely not a tarn. Perhaps it's one of the Crater Mountain/Jerry lakes? But definitely not "Lake 6380" as that is green with glacial silt in photos and is not surrounded by trees. Copper Glance Lake is double-peaked and surrounded by trees. But the cirque doesn't really look the same and the forest floor is quite barren in comparison. But it's close. Fred's Lake? Water is probably too high in yours for that.... And it's much more forested than yours. Lake Doris? One of the Oval Lakes? Any hints? Am I close?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 5:39 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
I tried going back through TAH's post history and looking at their comics.
Did you look at TAH's avatar. wink.gif TR was posted which should have given it away.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 6:26 pm 
Well their avatar is a frustrated looking Jack Elam.
I assume it has something to do with his expression. I know they were active a lot in the I-90 corridor/Seattle area. So it's probably something in that area. It's not a photo of Serene from Mt. Index is it? I'm pretty sure the walls of Index would drop much more steeply to the lake if so. And IIRC you drop down to Lake Serene when you enter the basin and the left side of the lake in the photo, where that would be, doesn't seem to have that topographic profile. I don't think there is a "serene river". But the word "serene" could definitely be used ironically to describe his expression/manner. Someone else said Lake 22. And there is TwentyTwo Creek which is fed by the lake. But there isn't a boardwalk around it. I am seeing trails now that I zoom in though so I am second guessing my assertion that it must be difficult to get to. And "22" isn't really a word to describe an expression. And honestly, those don't really make sense because the lake looks small and shallow. Which neither of those are. Looking at their post history for Trip Reports now I see the following directly referenced: * Granite Lakes * Talapus Lake * Barclay Lake * Eagle Lake * Lake Serene And the following references by association with a nearby peak: * Kendall Peak Lakes (By association of Kendall Peak) * Chikamin Lake (By association of Chikamin Peak) * Tinkham Tarns (By association of Tinkham) * Lake Annette (By association of Silver Peak) * Red Pond (By association of Red Mountain) * Kulla Kulla, Mason, Spider (By association of Defiance Peak) The only thing that really makes sense there is Serene via the ironic expression angle. But it just doesn't look like what I remember Serene looking like.... I'm probably going to facepalm really hard when I find out, aren't I?

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 7:37 pm 
That would be Cockeye Lake, otherwise known as Poe Pond.

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Dec 16, 2021 10:08 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
That would be Cockeye Lake, otherwise known as Poe Pond.
Hm, obvious in hindsight but not as severe of a facepalm-er as I was anticipating. Never heard of that one before. I'm eager to find out what @klar's lake is too.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostFri Dec 17, 2021 9:37 am 
klar wrote:
The sign on the tree says "Grace". I know the gentleman that put the sign there 20-ish years ago. It's the name of his youngest daughter. In years past, it's gone by several different names. The name I remember the old timers using was Carol. Catch any fishies? biggrin.gif

zimmertr
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostMon Dec 27, 2021 7:26 am 
I've posted a trip report to this lake between Hwy 12 &14. The only prior online reference to this lake is a photo from the ridge of the same name on a nwhikers website.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostMon Dec 27, 2021 7:33 am 

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jan 03, 2022 12:47 pm