Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Statement on COVID from Seattle / King County public health
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Dec 17, 2021 7:58 pm 
"In the coming week, the number of Omicron cases in King County is projected to spike to levels three times higher than the highest peaks we’ve seen in the pandemic." https://publichealthinsider.com/2021/12/17/public-health-leaders-urge-public-to-prepare-now-for-rapid-surge-in-local-covid-19-omicron-cases/

Anne Elk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostFri Dec 17, 2021 8:15 pm 
Our natural inclination would be to lock this. Prove us otherwise.

Anne Elk, Tom
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Dec 17, 2021 8:54 pm 
Fine, lock it. But please leave the post up for folks that might want this info.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Dec 17, 2021 9:18 pm 
Thanks, Joey for this important information. And I understand Damian's concern. ~z

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Dec 17, 2021 10:59 pm 
Here's to hoping that COVID is becoming less deadly with the latest mutation.

Flickr | Strava

flatsqwerl
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Dec 18, 2021 1:30 pm 
Every discussion on covid that I have seen has turned Political, if there is a forum where it might not, it's here. up.gif I had covid a few weeks ago and it was pretty brutal. I was mainly just super tired, no appetite, food did not taste good. Had a fever for almost 2 days with a high of 100.4....the fever didn't hit until about a week in. Was pretty much back to normal just under 2 weeks with no lasting effects. I for sure can recall worse flu's that I have had, with severe sore throat, body aches, chills, fever, etc. But this virus is different in how it affects everyone in a different way. I have a cousin about my age and they became very sick and were in the hospital on a ventilator for 2 weeks, while his wife had symptoms about like mine. Hopefully things will continue to improve, the positive test rate is up but the death rate is down.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Joey, RichP, zimmertr
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 18, 2021 1:39 pm 
An uncle of my son's roommate in Los Angeles recently died from COVID-19. He was 67 and a lung cancer surviver-- quite the one-two punch. The roommate had also become infected , but his 29 yo body was able to recover after a few days of fever and feeling really bad. Fortunately my son was able avoid picking up the infection. We don't know which variant it was.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Dec 18, 2021 4:43 pm 
There are 2 types of COVID tests. 1. Rapid antigen test 2. PCR test (polymerase chain reaction) Apparently the rapid antigen test can show that you are negative when in fact you have COVID. In other words, the test results in a 'false negative'. Here is a twitter thread from someone whose job it is to know about this stuff. https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/status/1472346556686684162

day_hike_mike, Chief Joseph
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Dec 18, 2021 6:26 pm 
Joey -- Useful information, thanks for posting (You can tell everyone's staying on their best behavior!)

Joey
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 4:59 am 
My wife and I are participating in a COVID study run by UW. The purpose is to determine the prevalence of COVID in WA. On Thursday someone will show up at our home, draw blood and do a nasal swab. Their website indicates people can ask to join the study. https://thewavesurvey.org/

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 5:57 am 
Given how contagious omicron is not sure I'd want someone showing up right now that had visited a bunch of other households.

Cyclopath
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 7:17 am 
Tom wrote:
Given how contagious omicron is not sure I'd want someone showing up right now that had visited a bunch of other households.
Good point. I will consult with the in-house retired medical technologist. If we go ahead, I'm thinking we will do the home visit outside. If it is raining we can do it just inside the garage with all the doors open.

mike

mike
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 9:58 am 
So far about 1 in 400 people in this country have died of covid. And it's going to get worse rapidly with the explosive growth that we are seeing. Stay safe folks. With the holidays coming up this is the gift that will keep on giving.

neek

neek
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 11:27 am 
Joey wrote:
If we go ahead, I'm thinking we will do the home visit outside. If it is raining we can do it just inside the garage with all the doors open.
Good call. Also I'm sure they're taking precautions and that the visit will be brief. I fear this question will reveal my ignorance, but how do they distinguish between antibodies from a vaccine vs. an actual infection?

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 11:58 am 
neek wrote:
but how do they distinguish between antibodies from a vaccine vs. an actual infection?
I asked this question and found this website from a bunch of women scientists and clinicians. Looks like a reasonably good article on this very thing. In a nutshell--quote: Antibodies developed from having from COVID-19 recognize different parts of the virus while antibodies from the vaccine specifically recognize the spike protein. Also the CDC put out a good explanation on how vaccines work. They discuss the antibodies created as well. I also found a great explanation on viruses themselves that I will post soon. ~z

Cyclopath