Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Statement on COVID from Seattle / King County public health
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 12:02 pm 
neek wrote:
Joey wrote:
If we go ahead, I'm thinking we will do the home visit outside. If it is raining we can do it just inside the garage with all the doors open.
Good call. Also I'm sure they're taking precautions and that the visit will be brief. I fear this question will reveal my ignorance, but how do they distinguish between antibodies from a vaccine vs. an actual infection?
Yes, a good call. An immune response to the SARS CoV-2 virus will elicit responses to a variety of antigens not found on the spike protein (vaccine), in particular, the nucleocapsid protein (NP) which is also a target in the rapid antigen test.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 12:37 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
An immune response to the SARS CoV-2 virus will elicit responses to a variety of antigens not found on the spike protein (vaccine), in particular, the nucleocapsid protein (NP) which is also a target in the rapid antigen test.
Got it, guess that should have been obvious. And zephyr, thanks for the article, that's exactly what I was wondering. Also sheds light on recent findings that the best protection may come from vaccine + breakthrough infection (search for "super immunity").

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 2:50 pm 
I came across this video shortly after Joey posted this thread. Carl Zimmer is a science writer for the New York Times. He's a great explainer. His latest book Life's Edge: The Search for What It Means to Be Alive is available at the Seattle Public Library. ~z

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 3:01 pm 
Joey wrote:
Apparently the rapid antigen test can show that you are negative when in fact you have COVID. In other words, the test results in a 'false negative'
Some suggest a workaround for this by testing again in 2-3 days. But I suppose that only works if you stick to your “pod” and everyone in it has been really cautious and not circulating a lot. All it takes is one slip up in a chain of associations. My hair cutter told me she got together last year with a “friend” who neglected to share that her boyfriend was waiting for test results ... which turned out to be positive. Never underestimate the carelessness of your circle of associations. Given the weekly multiplication rate of Omicron infections you just know there’s going to be a huge spike after the holidays. Here’s an interesting article re the Spanish flu pandemic and how it surged because people got “prevention fatigue”: https://theconversation.com/people-gave-up-on-flu-pandemic-measures-a-century-ago-when-they-tired-of-them-and-paid-a-price-156551 I’ve decided to pass on Christmas despite being boosted. I keep hearing/reading about people getting infected- and some dying- despite having had boosters. Of course there’s never additional info re risk factors, but for sure cancer survivors can’t be too careful. frown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 3:44 pm 
I was exposed by a bartender who was sick but had not yet been tested, but did a home test that came up positive a few days later. I became sick about 10 days later. I was a bit angry that this person came to work while sick, but I would be a hypocrite as I used to go to work sick all the time and actually only called in sick maybe twice in about 30 years. However, with this virus and pandemic, I would say that it's a very bad idea to go to work sick, especially when you are working with the public. I recall reading once that you are only contagious with the "normal" flu virus when you are running a fever, not sure if that's true or if it is covid might be different? I also find it interesting that I have not heard of one professional athlete who has died or even become very sick from the virus. I guess it makes sense that someone who is in optimal physical condition and younger would probably not get very sick. Seems like a good reason to be very health conscious. I also got sick after missing sleep and being very stressed due to my Mom passing and I wonder if I would have not become sick if that were not the case.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 4:08 pm 
My wife worked diligently making cloth masks for us. We have several versions as she refined the design and materials. The problem with cloth masks though is they leak around the edge instead of sealing well to your face. We are sticking close to home and taking turns going out for groceries and errands. As a result I only get in the car to go somewhere once every 10 days or so. But when I do go to town I am going to start wearing an N95 mask.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 4:19 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I was exposed by a bartender who was sick but had not yet been tested, but did a home test that came up positive a few days later. I became sick about 10 days later.
Yikes! So a person can be transmitting, asymptomatically, for 10 days. I noticed you didn't mention whether or not you'd been vaccinated. Maybe something not to ask if this thread is to remain open. hockeygrin.gif Meanwhile, a NYTimes reader made this comment in connection with a recent covid article: "Why not let Gary Kelly, the 66 year old CEO of Southwest Airlines who just testified before the US Senate this week take the mike. Here is Mr. Kelly's response to a question by Republican Mississippi Senator Roger Wicker asking him if passengers would ever be able to travel on planes without masks: 'I think the case is very strong that masks don’t add much, if anything, in the air cabin environment,' Mr. Kelly said, praising the air filtration on planes. 'It’s very safe and very high quality compared to any other indoor setting.' The curious and prudent among you might find it significant to learn that Mr. Kelly--who is 66, double vaxxed AND boosted--tested positive this week after his Senate appearance."

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 4:28 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
'I think the case is very strong that masks don’t add much, if anything, in the air cabin environment,' Mr. Kelly said, praising the air filtration on planes. 'It’s very safe and very high quality compared to any other indoor setting.'
My understanding is that when the plane is flying the cabin air goes thru high quality filters. But when the plane is at the gate that air filtration system is not running. And of course even when flying the air that people exhale moves around in the cabin at least to some extent before getting sucked into the air filtration system.

neek

neek
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 4:55 pm 
Having just flown 2 days ago, I can state with confidence that fewer than half of the people in airports and on planes are masking correctly. Either they're wearing a minimally effective mask (e.g. cotton), or not covering the nose, or the seal is obviously poor, or they're not even bothering to wear one. Or they're eating, which somehow makes you invincible I guess? And no one enforces any rules (although they're happy to confiscate my scary 1.5" knife). So I really hope the filtration is good, otherwise every flight is pretty much a covid party. And yeah vaccinated people are getting sick (it took the officials too long to admit what was obvious months ago) but on average their outcomes are wayyy better. IMO when you're out in public you should just assume everyone is sick, and take whatever you consider to be reasonable precautions. Kind of like when you ride a bike in traffic you're best off assuming everyone is casually trying to kill you. Hope I haven't said anything too controversial, but really, I'd rather deal with the occasional forum flare-up than not be allowed to talk about facts that may save lives.

Chief Joseph, Anne Elk, Joey, RichP
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 4:56 pm 
My wife and I had breakthrough Delta infections in September. Her sister and brother-in-law came to visit and brought it with them. Our brother-in-law died. They were heading to Canada and staying at our house for a couple of days while they got tested and the day after the test, the results came back positive and they started getting sick that afternoon. My wife and I got sick 2 days after that and had fevers for about 9 days. The in-laws were also fever free after 10 days of quarantine so they flew home (SeaTac to Phoenix) and he immediately developed pneumonia from which he did not recover.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 5:08 pm 
Wow, Schroder. That's one sad story and cautionary tale there. frown.gif I can't get over how sick you and your wife got. ~z

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 6:12 pm 
The Okanogan Valley has had a pretty good rate of infections since the Stampede. For some reason, Tonasket has been a hotbed of infections. My next door neighbors had it, both were fully vaccinated and very exhausted for a week. I don't know whether I had it. I felt extremely tired for about three days, but it could have been depression after a good friend died from heart troubles--not from Covid. It seemed too hard to get tested at that time--a long weekend, go to emergency room with other sick people, so I just stayed home. Since then, a free drive in testing facility has been opened. According to this guy, Omicrom stays mainly in the upper respiratory system, and while that makes it not as likely to turn into pneumonia, it replicates/reproduces massively and is closer to the mouth and nose to be horked out into the air. Not a lot of folks are masking up anymore, and those that do still have noses poking out. I purchased a small box of N95 masks and have been wearing those uncomfortable things in stores. Here is the video, which explains things a heck of a lot better than I can. I find this guy to not be so dramatic as our newspeople are.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

RichP
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 6:17 pm 
How sick probably depends on a lot of factors including viral load. Having someone stay with you that gets very sick is going to introduce more exposure than breathing in just enough to pick up something at grocery store. Makes sense that both spouses die far more often than random survival would suggest. We were originally planning to have both MIL for Christmas this year, with a niece flying in for new years, but with the uncertainty regarding Omicron we are just going to have the one parent we are in frequent contact with stay with us vs. roll the dice, despite all being boosted.

Cyclopath, Opus, Gil, Anne Elk
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 6:23 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
According to this guy,
Ha,ha. I almost posted this earlier. Awesome. Dr. John Campbell puts out very relevant and timely information. Very sorry you lost your friend, treeswarper. That's tough. frown.gif ~z

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSun Dec 19, 2021 6:34 pm 
If there are any Seattleites here who belong to a vulnerable demographic and are concerned with visiting a local grocery store or other fundamental errands I just want to say that I'm happy to make the trip for you. Feel free to send me a PM at any time. We're going to get through this. It might take a while. But our community can do it if we help each other.

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath, Carbonj, day_hike_mike, Navy salad, Riverside Laker, Aussie, Kascadia, Chief Joseph, Joey, dave allyn, RichP