Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ojai, Oh My! Sept. 4-7, '20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 2:39 pm 
I say "Oh my!" cuz it was a super hot wknd. in SoCal, & the start of the Valley Fire not far from where I live. Kinda unsettling to be out of town for the wknd & then hear that a big, rapidly spreading fire has broke out near home. I read updates throughout the trip but thankfully it never reached the point where my area had to evac (but a couple of my friends had to). DAY 1: San Diego to Ojai, Cozy Dell Trail, B-day Dinner I left town & drove up the 5, encountering marine layer by the rest area.
Foggy coast
Foggy coast
But of course that cleared up & I arrived in Ojai, going straight to my first little hike. I wanted something short & near town as I'd need to leave enough time to check into the hotel, shower, & meet my friend/SA Rafael for dinner. After a little confusion of the TH location, I found it & reluctantly started up. I say reluctantly cuz it was probably around 100 degrees & uncomfortable. redface.gif However, after driving a few hrs. I needed a leg stretcher & this fit the bill. hink.gif
Ojai below
Ojai below
Pano shot over Ojai
Pano shot over Ojai
Stats
Stats
Tired & dehydrated I checked into the hotel, speaking to the front desk person through the window from outside due to Covid concerns. I started schlepping my stuff upstairs, encountering an older shirtless guy on the balcony next to my room. As I went in & out of my room, he talked about "just needing to get out of L.A. for awhile" and before I knew it he was offering me hard liquor but TBH @ that point I was beat from the heat & just wanted to shower & rest in the A/C before dinner so I declined. A few minutes later I heard a knock on my door & it was him w/a big jug of water. I accepted it but didn't wind up using it as I'd brought plenty of my own (so left it @ his door a few days later when I checked out).
Hotel rm
Hotel rm
Thankfully I had enough time to rest/recover before Rafael showed up. We went to a nearby Mexican place, Jim & Rob's Fresh Grill, where he bought me dinner & margaritas for my b-day as we sat on the back patio in the shade. Later @ the hotel rm I had him take a pic of me w/the back massager my sis gave me. wink.gif I now take it on most of my trips. smile.gif
Dinner
Dinner
New back massager
New back massager
DAY 2: B'fast @ Ojai Cafe & Reyes Pk. In the morning, we went to b'fast @ Ojai Cafe (highly recommended!) before we said our goodbyes for awhile. wave.gif
B'fast
B'fast
B'fast
B'fast
I then did another short hike w/the time remaining, to Reyes Pk. It was a relief to get up into the pine trees & away from the heat. up.gif
TH sign
TH sign
Woodsy trail
Woodsy trail
Left by someone else
Left by someone else
Reyes Pk.
Reyes Pk.
Short hike
Short hike
DAY 3: Sespe River Trail, Agave Maria's Restaurant & Cantina Yet another hot day, so I limited my hiking mileage. Walked a ways along the Sespe River Trail until I reached an area that was ez to find a nice little shady spot along the creek. up.gif
Sespe River
Sespe River
Sespe River
Sespe River
Sespe River
Sespe River
Sespe River
Sespe River
Sespe River
Sespe River
Stats
Stats
I attempted to do some shopping, but wasn't very successful cuz many of the shops were closed due to the heat. I did find a few places but overall it wasn't quite the experience I was hoping for. Maybe I'll try again on a cooler wknd.! lol.gif
I stopped @ Agave Maria's Restaurant & Cantina, & sat there on the patio (interior closed) under an umbrella & w/inadequate misters nearby & wondered why I still felt so miserable. Finally I checked the weather on my phone & it proclaimed that the current temp in Ojai was 115 degrees. Dafuq? stun.gif doof.gif
Marg to cool off
Marg to cool off
Enjoying marg in 115 degrees
Enjoying marg in 115 degrees
DAY 4: Pete's Breakfast House, Grant Park I check out of the motel, then started the drive home. I stopped @ Pete's B'fast House in Ventura, then checked out the smokey views from Grant Park, a hilltop park sporting views of the ocean. Kinda crappy views on this day tho. bagger.gif
Smoky haze over Ventura
Smoky haze over Ventura
Pano shot over Ventura
Pano shot over Ventura
Ventura
Ventura
Ventura
Ventura
Smoky haze
Smoky haze
I continued the drive home, then walked around the 'hood a bit, capturing a smokey sunset. cool.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.

Olympic Hiker, John Mac, kite
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSat Dec 25, 2021 7:10 pm 
Can't beat birthday margaritas!

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln

Bloated Chipmunk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message