Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Statement on COVID from Seattle / King County public health
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 8:41 am 
CNN article. "A cloth face covering also has 75% inward and outward leakage..." Message is real clear. If you are going to wear a mask then you should wear one that works waaay better than a cloth mask. https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/24/health/cloth-mask-omicron-variant-wellness/index.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 9:27 am 
Damian wrote:
Our natural inclination would be to lock this.
Thank you for NOT locking this!

Joey
neek

neek
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 10:41 am 
I'm hopeful for a number of reasons - better treatment options, high levels of at least partial immunity, and the growing consensus that omicron is less severe. However, hospital capacity is a huge concern. Some are already over capacity, and we will likely see an explosion of cases in the next few weeks. Furthermore, hospital staff will start getting sick (vaccinated or not), and will have to quarantine. Already the issue seems to be largely with people, not beds. I was just reading about people stuck in hospitals for months in part because of bureaucratic issues in transferring them to nursing homes. What's going to happen when we simply don't have enough non-sick healthcare workers to support everyone?

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Dec 26, 2021 8:57 am 
neek wrote:
omicron is less severe
This is from the link that Kascadia posted on the previous page: Part of the huge confusion here has been when people talk about severity, they’re not being clear enough whether it’s severity of the average case or intrinsic severity [of the virus]. And so we have Imperial College’s [statement] “It’s no different.” But there they controlled for vaccination status and breakthrough status in their estimates. When you control for breakthrough infections and reinfections you see that Omicron appears to be no less severe than Delta, than previous variants — which makes sense. But in some ways that’s not fair. If we’re going to think about how impactful the wave is, most infections will be in people that have some immunity." - Trevor Bedford

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 27, 2021 12:18 am 
This site continues to be my favorite for statistics: https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en I think Joey originally posted it in the early months of the pandemic. Note that you can click on any state and it will open to show stats for each county. Click on a flag to get international data. Thanks everyone for the great links in this thread. After reviewing them and reading the comments here, I'm glad I canceled my holiday plans and hunkered down at home. I definitely need to improve my masking.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Jan 01, 2022 10:29 am 
Twitter thread on the current status of covid in King County. https://twitter.com/DocJeffD/status/1476997207337230337

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 03, 2022 9:00 pm 
A friend shared this link for me and thought I might pass it along. I have no knowledge as to the validity and don't really have an opinion on it, at least not one I choose to disclose. https://www.sirillp.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/2021_12_28-House-and-Senate-Comm.-Ltr-from-Dr.-Lee-391d325bab959f2541579f8165f5152d.pdf

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 03, 2022 10:59 pm 
From the PDF: "it appears statistically improbable that any one physician should witness this many Covid-19 vaccine injuries <snip>" Yup, which makes me question the findings of any one physician. According to the CDC... "Millions of people in the United States have received COVID-19 vaccines under the most intense safety monitoring in U.S. history."

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 03, 2022 11:25 pm 
Let’s not go down the anti vax rabbit hole, and talk about hiking. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 12:13 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Let’s not go down the anti vax rabbit hole, and talk about hiking. huh.gif
I didn't go there, just posted a link I found to be interesting. I am not pro-vax or anti vax, I am neutral. Carry on.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 7:16 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I didn't go there, just posted a link I found to be interesting. I am not pro-vax or anti vax, I am neutral.
One doesn't have to be strictly pro or anti; there's a lot of nuance to consider between the extremes. Which vaccine? Age group? Comorbidities? Booster schedule? Changing landscape of treatments and variants? Situation in other countries, and the decisions they are making? The letter you posted is one anecdote plus some hand waving. Not much to sink our teeth into. Look at the law firm's home page and it's clear how they make their money. No info online about this Dr. Lee. So to me, not nearly as interesting as some of the deeper conversations out there on the subject--which, admittedly, can be hard to find, sensitivities being what they are. I recommend https://peterattiamd.com/covid-19-current-state-omicron/ for one such discussion. All 3 of these doctors have been previously referenced on nwhikers in favorable terms. Vaccine discussion starts about an hour and 18 minutes in.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 8:32 am 
With any vaccine, a percentage of people are going to have an adverse reaction. Consider how their immune system is going to respond to the virus, would it not be even more adverse? The whole idea is to prep the immune system with a tiny and non-reproducing dose of the infectious agent so it is prepared for the actual disease. So I think the folks that are having severe reactions to the vaccine also have a high probability of getting very ill from the virus itself. Many Americans seem to have a belief that they are entitled to live their life without anything bad happening to them and they have the right sue and get a big payout when any mishap occurs.

neek

neek
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 9:30 am 
Randito wrote:
So I think the folks that are having severe reactions to the disease also have a high probability of getting very ill from the virus itself.
The claim is that the otherwise healthy kids who are developing myocardosis would have likely had the the same or worse outcome from the actual disease? I've wondered about that as well, but have seen zero evidence in support of it. Not sure how you could even measure that. It's so incredibly rare and there aren't enough twins in the world to gather meaningful data. Curious to know if you've heard any expert opinions on the matter. It's relevant to those of us with 10 year old bracing for an endless series of booster recommendations for a disease that poses almost no threat to healthy kids.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 9:47 am 
neek wrote:
I've wondered about that as well, but have seen zero evidence in support of it.
And you never will see any scientificly valid evidence either. There isn't any way to test how an individual would react vaccinated vs unvaccinated. Perhaps in the Star Trek universe these things could be tested using a bunch of "transporter accidents" to create duplicates. With the methods available today, scientists use record keeping and statistical analysis. The problematic issue is that when the odds of a severe adverse vaccine reaction is 1 in a million -- the odds don't matter much if it's your kid (or you) that has the adverse reaction. The other aspect of the modern media environment is that the news of one person's negative experience gets amplified a million fold -- while the millions of people with no adverse effects get no notice. The tens of thousands of unvaccinated people that end up in the hospital with severe disease get a passing reference that is disregarded as "fake news". The crank in me says -- natural selection is at work prunning the voter roles of those that believe COVID-19 is a hoax. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/05/1059828993/data-vaccine-misinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate

neek

neek
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 10:27 am 
Maybe we'll follow up on that last bit (about partisan differences) in private. It would be a shame if this thread, which has been useful so far, got locked due to politics. Yeah, I know it's factual so far, but some people can't resist adding their emotional 2 cents. School's back in session today. If things get shut down, I promised (or rather, threatened) a road trip!