Forum Index > Food & Grub > Climbing Nutrition Website/Blog
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 8:41 pm 
I don't know if this has been shared before, but it looks like a good site and I thought I would share it here. It is geared specifically to climbers but most equally applies to hiking/backpacking. Climbing Nutrition Rumi <~~~~~likes to eat

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 9:09 pm 
Thanks, Rumi. I will read it.

RudyNeff

RudyNeff
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 pm 
Thanks Rumi for sharing it.

Rudy Neff
JeffreyH

JeffreyH
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 1:34 am 
Thanks for sharing! Seems like a really useful website.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Sep 12, 2021 1:13 pm 
Reviving this old thread to add a few videos from a different source about hiking nutritian. I agree with this in general, though I take a slightly different take on the need for protein, mainly based on other research I have come across. If I can find the links to that research, I will add it later. I have become more and more interested in nutritian in general and backpacking nutritian in particular as I have aged. I have learned that as we age, nutritian becomes even more important to maintaning optimal health. It's actually important in all periods of our lives, but it forces itself to the fore as we age. One word we should familiarize ourselves with is sarcopenia, the loss of skeletal muscle mass and function. Anyway, here are a few longish videos if you are as obsessed with nutritian as I am. *bigmacronutrientgrins*
Please feel free to add to this thread other nutritial informational resources that you come across. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
neek

neek
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 10:31 am 
Thanks, Rumi. These are pretty good. I've actually learned a few things. Watched #4 so far. Admittedly I may be one of the sodium skeptics he's poking at (especially in light of recent research). I do think in general we get way too much salt, but given that we can't really store it, I guess it's important on the trail. At least we don't have to follow people around and lick the rocks they pee on to get it.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 3:21 pm 
I don't overly obsess about sodium intake, but I don't ignore it either. And that includes backpacking meals. I take electrolyte suppliment on trips, Emergen-C, and usually drink it before dinner on long hot and/or strenuous days. But I also eat a lot of nuts, which generally supply almost all my sodium, potassium, and mineral needs. In other words, I take suppliments with me just in case, but in practice I don't often use them because I get enough from my food. I fall in the middle ground when it comes to most of this. I "ballpark" most of my food needs. But that is easier now because at one point I calculated to the gram all my meals. I know how much I need now and that precision is not needed. Rumi

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Dec 10, 2021 4:28 pm 
The new wave of hiking meals in the past 5 to 10 years has had a lot less sodium. Which is good. Very few people need to be eating 2600 mg of sodium in 600 calories (and sadly, this isn't joking about those levels). Now days....you see 600 to 1200 mg sodium for the same calories. It's still high, but it's not scary high. And bonus you won't be thirsty all night after it ;-)

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Dec 15, 2021 11:37 pm 
Well the real takeaway from all the stuff I have linked above is to take a comprehensive approach to trail nutrition. That neans having a good balance of macro nutients as well as getting proper water intake and electrolytes. Most people that wake up in the middle of the night thirsty, got that way because they didn't properly hydrate during the day. Most people that wake up sluggish or weak, got that way because they didn't get a good balance of macronutrients. Rumi

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Dec 27, 2021 2:20 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
One word we should familiarize ourselves with is sarcopenia, the loss of skeletal muscle mass and function.
From what I recall of my training in nutritition, sarcopenia starts in around age 30, and the only way to prevent it is to build more (thru exercise) than you're losing naturally. The corollary was, the only nutritional element that helps you build more muscle is protein. Thanks for the links!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood