PostTue Dec 21, 2021 8:20 pm 
I like it, although you can only bring up to 70% on a plane

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 8:59 pm 
Everclear is 3-4x as expensive as denatured alcohol-- it's main advantage is that you can get drunk on it. But I would prefer to drink whiskey or sake than everclear. Denatured Alcohol is available in any hardware or paint store. Any city with a scheduled service airport will have stores that sell Denatured alcohol.

neek

neek
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 10:00 pm 
Yeah I think the 91% they sell will burn ok but you probably won't quite get the numbers hitthetrail mentioned. I don't drink when traveling anyway. And again it sounds like not all states sell pure ethanol. Anyway I need to stop thinking about this because it just makes me want to go on another trip.

hapemask

hapemask
PostFri Dec 24, 2021 6:58 pm 
I’ve traveled with my canister stove and purchased fuel at REI, and then I gave it back to them before flying home (I didn’t return it for money, just gave it to them). I had asked beforehand at that specific store and they said they just put it on a shelf for employees to take, which is way better than it going to waste. Apparently this isn’t a universal thing though because I checked at another REI on a different trip and they told me no, they won’t take it.

neek
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Dec 25, 2021 4:02 am 
Neek - I was in a jam a couple years ago for a heat source - tested my old Peak 1 the night before leaving for the coast - and it self-destructed. I dashed off to Fred Meyer and got some sterno cans and - fortunately - they also had the convenient folding wind shield/grill that worked well enough: warmed up steak, pre-cooked rice, and water for coffee - can't recall how many minutes to boil, but it was September and not that cold. Sterno is available almost everywhere but maybe not the pop-up stove. I've seen it online via Walmart & Amazon.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

neek
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Dec 29, 2021 12:03 am 
I know some stoves like the MSR Dragonfly are really loud and have "fly" in the name but I don't think they produce enough thrust to get you airborn smile.gif

RumiDude
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jan 01, 2022 10:24 pm 
Ah just go through with it worst case they inquire as to what it is just tell em here's the deal let me through.

Luc

Luc
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:04 am 
I'll be flying with my reactor in a few weeks, no canister (i'll buy one at the destination). Do you think having the stove unhooked from a canister and unused for a few months is sufficient to air it out?

GNGSTR
neek

neek
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:17 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Ah just go through with it worst case they inquire as to what it is just tell em here's the deal let me through.
Tried this. I said "listen, do you know who I am?" I could have easily taken the one guy on, but he turned the goons loose on me. No one plays fair these days.
Luc wrote:
I'll be flying with my reactor in a few weeks, no canister (i'll buy one at the destination). Do you think having the stove unhooked from a canister and unused for a few months is sufficient to air it out?
Reactor is what I have. I had it carefully wrapped up in a crusty t-shirt stuffed into my titanium pot. The guy unpackaged everything, made sure the edges weren't too sharp. Didn't run any chemical tests. It had been used that morning.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:35 am 
I am thinking the idea of transporting a reactor inside a titanium container in an airplane might get some attention. smile.gif

neek

neek
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:40 am 
Well the flight was to Vegas. Where else am I supposed to put my nuclear waste?

Luc

Luc
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 11:55 am 
Haha, my flight is into Vegas, too. Going into the GC. I'm planning on checking the stove, which I store inside the reactor pot. Re your comments, I assume you had it as a carry on?

GNGSTR
neek

neek
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 12:15 pm 
Luc wrote:
Haha, my flight is into Vegas, too. Going into the GC. I'm planning on checking the stove, which I store inside the reactor pot. Re your comments, I assume you had it as a carry on?
Correct, everything was carry on. I don't fly much and can't keep up with the rules. Looks like lithium batteries are OK to carry on but not check? And the tiniest sharp object is not allowed, whereas a few years ago up to a 3" blade was OK? I bet they'd panic over microspikes. Be sure to research the current rules for anything in question. But the biggest concern now is probably staff and crew shortages. Another thing I learned, rental car companies will charge for an extra day if you pick up slightly earlier than planned. Good luck on your trip!