Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Streaming...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 04, 2022 9:19 pm 
So I kind of jumped the gun and got rid of rid of Dish Network and the $115 bill (should have waited until after the SB). I have Hughes net which usually sucks for streaming from what I have heard. I don't have experience with any other satellite service so not sure how bad they are comparably. I wanted to get StarLink but there is at least a year waiting period. So I upgraded the Hughes Gen5 and the bandwidth up to 20gb from 10. Netflix works great, Youtube good, Hulu, Roku, and HBO max work ok, with some buffering and loss of signal, but usually watchable. So, here is my main question is how to watch sports? That's really the only thing I miss about Dish. I have tried some free streaming sites but either there was constant buffering or a crappy picture. The thing is, I don't want to spend a lot, if I can't find a very reasonable deal, I might have to go back to Dish, downgraded to the $60 for 2 year deal. (since it will be a new install). I know a few people that have Starlink and like it really well, but I am stuck with Hughes for a while so..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 05, 2022 2:07 am 
Sling TV offers ESPN and other sports content. Sling is actually a subsidiary of Hugh's, but that doesn't mean there is necessarily coordination between the satellite business and the streaming business. I worked on the launch version of the Sling TV product via a consulting firm and their organizational efficiency reminded me of my days at Boeing back in the '80s.

Chief Joseph
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jan 05, 2022 5:24 pm 
It does depend on what sports you want. As a Mariners fan I have never been able to cut the cord, but just a few months ago FuboTV became an option--they will have Root Sports. They have other sports too. It's not really cheap though. https://www.fubo.tv/welcome The cabin in Mazama (Lost River) that we regularly rent has Starlink. It's like not even having internet. Streaming is out of the question though occasionally we can check email. I have read various things like, they don't have enough satellites yet, or, the placement of the thingy has to be just so and any trees or anything else will disrupt service.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 05, 2022 5:37 pm 
I mainly like to watch the NFL and college basketball, sometimes the NBA. Don't really care about the Mariners, but do like to watch the playoffs and World Series. Yes, Fubo would probably be the way to go if I wanted to watch the M's, but the cost is about the same as Dish. One thing I really liked about Dish is the DVR, so you can skip the commercials, especially while watching baseball. Good to know about Starlink, I have a friend at Verlot who says it works good for him and a local Priest Lake resident say's it works great for him, so it likely depends upon where you are. I am going to check out Sling as Randy suggested, they have a $20 sports package. I might still go back to Dish next fall here at PL as I plan to be here through the Winter. We shall see. Thanks for the info.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostThu Jan 06, 2022 10:47 am 
We dropped Xfinity a year ago and signed up for Youtube TV. They offer the standard broadcast stations for sports as well as Root sports for Mariners. There's other NHL/NBA channels as well but I haven't spent much time there. I installed Starlink at our family cabin above Port Angeles around a month and have been very happy with it. Several of us have worked there at the same time on dueling Teams/Webex calls without a hitch. The dish does a very clear view of the sky to the north and northeast which seems to help. We're averaging 200MBS down and 10MBS up.