Forum Index > Trip Reports > Frisco, Rainy, Crooked Bum - 8/31/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 6:13 pm 
We both had Monday off, and since we were already in the area for a Sat/Sun trip, decided on a more relaxed but very scenic outing to Frisco, Rainy, and Crooked Bum. Somehow neither of us had hiked the Heather/Maple Pass Loop in its entirety so we decided to visit Frisco and Rainy first, then complete the loop with Crooked Bum on the exit. We decided on a late start, to avoid the morning's rain and fog and hopefully get some good views. We began hiking the loop in a clockwise direction. We dropped off the trail to the 6080' lake, had a brief struggle with steep vegetation getting around a buttress, then hiked up slabs and talus to NE face of Frisco. Picked out a way onto the SE ridge and then scrambled easy class 3 to the summit. The ridge to Rainy had one brief section where we dropped off the crest to the south before reaching the Frisco-Rainy col. We stayed directly on the ridge to Rainy from there which involved one engaging section of 4th class scrambling. No register on either peak (bummer, as I was hoping the Dallas Kloke registers would still be there). Made our way back to the trail and looped over to Crooked Bum. Despite its proximity to the trail, not many entries in the register. We saw a total of 3 parties on the loop and nobody on any of the peaks. Nice day out.
Clouds clearing
Clouds clearing
talus
talus
talus
talus
Goode, Benzarino, Corteo
Goode, Benzarino, Corteo
Goode, Storm King, Buckner, Forbidden - Benzarino in foreground
Goode, Storm King, Buckner, Forbidden - Benzarino in foreground
Ptarmigan traverse
Ptarmigan traverse
Bonanza, McGregor
Bonanza, McGregor
Selena on the ridge to Rainy
Selena on the ridge to Rainy
Highway 20, Silver Star, Liberty Bell group
Highway 20, Silver Star, Liberty Bell group
Eldorado, Logan, Frisco, Corteo, Black, Mesahchie, Repulse, Fisher, Kitling
Lyall Lake
Lyall Lake
Big hungry bear
Big hungry bear
Crooked Bum register full of NWHikers
Crooked Bum register full of NWHikers
Chilliwacks, Jack, Crater
Chilliwacks, Jack, Crater
Switchblade, Jackknife, Stilletto
4 labels

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 6:32 pm 
Is that bear wearing running shoes? Nice looking trip. I must have missed the register on Bum last year. Your peak naming ability is impressive.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 6:39 pm 
Cool trip. Awesome area. Nice photos.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 6:42 pm 
That's a large bear! Rarely see them that big in the cascades.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 5:25 am 
Sweet trip Jake! Frisco and Rainy have just been added to my list! Coincidently me and a couple of buddies are heading up there to do Corteo tomorrow. That is a fatty bear too, about the same size as the one we saw on Foggy! Bummer about the regs. shakehead.gif Thanks for the post, cheers dood! rocker.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 8:12 am 
Nice! up.gif Looking right back at you, taken from the ridge saddle at the left of your last photo (Taken almost exactly 7 years ago). I want to hang out up there more.
Ridge Views
Ridge Views
Copper Creek
Copper Creek

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 8:30 am 
neek wrote:
Your peak naming ability is impressive.
That's due to two factors: 1) Jake is a mountain aficionado, and 2) he's climbed virtually all of those.
Jake Robinson wrote:
Big hungry bear
Big hungry bear
I hope you had a bit of zoom on this shot.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 8:34 am 
Jake Robinson wrote:
I took almost the exact pic 15 years ago:
Top O' Rainy
Top O' Rainy
I don't get up to Hwy 20 enough but if one is looking for the highest concentrations of aesthetic challenging scrambles, that is the place to be.
4 labels
Another fantastic traverse combo....

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 1:22 pm 
Sweet pics. Love that shot of Silverstar. Is that the right order of peaks in the "Switchblade, Jacknife and Stiletto" pic? I guess I always wrongly assumed Stiletto was the prominent triangular looking one. But now I see one one of my maps says Stiletto is in the middle of the three. You guys say it is the nearest of the three (to the camera). Looking good whichever it is.

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 1:23 pm 
not much of the lyall glacier here...
not much of the lyall glacier here...
one rainy peak summit
one rainy peak summit
jake on the other rainy peak summit
jake on the other rainy peak summit
Rainy and Frisco from Crooked Bum
Rainy and Frisco from Crooked Bum
This was a fun trip! I enjoyed the ridge run. As a first-timer on the full Maple-Heather Pass loop, I was really impressed, I can see why it's my mom's favorite hike! Highly recommend doing the full loop if you're visiting a peak on the way! It's apparent that having only been on the portion from the TH to Heather Pass, I had missed out on the best part of the loop. Although i was lagging on energy by Crooked Bum, I loved the heathery meadow slopes on the top, once past the semi-exposed traverse portion of the route. Lots of animal trails and a handful of cairns but not enough to eliminate route finding fun. Brushbuffalo, that bear was pretty close! But very mellow and not particularly interested in anything beyond watching us. It was gorgeous and shiny. Really lovely example of a bear. One of my trips to Black Peak in late Sept I recall at least half a dozen bears en route, just north of Lewis Lake.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 1:44 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
"Switchblade, Jacknife and Stiletto"
I had guessed earlier that these "gangsta" names were given by Fred Beckey or John Roper, both famous for 'theme names.' However, John p.m.'d me and informed me that another legend, Dallas Kloke, used the theme in this case.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still

rbuzby
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 1:56 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
Is that the right order of peaks in the "Switchblade, Jacknife and Stiletto" pic?
Added labels to the pic for what I thought the peaks were. If I'm wrong, hope someone comes out of the woodwork and corrects me! I've never visited that area, only looked at it on maps.
Brushbuffalo wrote:
2) he's climbed virtually all of those.
Appreciate the sentiment - I wish this were true, but I feel that I'm just getting started on the North Cascades. I'm sure I have spent way more time looking at maps, books, and TRs than I have in the actual mountains... Appreciate also the note on names. I would have guessed those were Roper names. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Crooked Bum was a Roper name winksmile.gif

rbuzby
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 2:48 pm 
The labels look right to me!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.

rbuzby
pwrobinson

pwrobinson
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 7:57 pm 
Can't wait to get to the summit of Crooked Bum to see your signature. I'll be there this coming summer with you. You are always with me. Love you!

Bluebird, MangyMarmot, ONELUV1, Theboywhocriedroute, Tom, Kascadia, ozzy, Fletcher, SeanSullivan86, Nancyann, raising3hikers  rubywrangler, awilsondc
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 am 
There is sharp poignancy when realizing that this trip report was written three days before Jake’s death on Kololo Peaks. I have posted this before but it is worth repeating.To those who are extreme proponents of “Leave No Trace” and remove registers…The registers serve as touchstones that help friends reconnect with climbing partners who have departed. Please be respectful of that human need and leave the registers on the summit. To enjoy the same views while reading Jake’s name provides comfort to those who shared the pleasure of mountain camaraderie together with him.

reststep, furthur, ONELUV1, ozzy  Lindsay, Bluebird, Alden Ryno