Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backyard bird bonanza
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 12:34 pm 
Wow Gali, your dark eyed juncos are really different in appearance to what we have out west. Head is black and body is brown. Growing up I always knew them as Oregon juncos, but like a lot of things somebody changed it, now I guess that's a subspecies of dark eyed?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 4:18 pm 
From a distance our juncos look dark grey, with a snowy white belly. On closer inspection you can see more delicate shades in the grey part.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 5:32 pm 
I never noticed this thread before. I am very much a novice but have become fascinated by my backyard birds, especially, no surprise, our Anna's Hummingbirds. I take the job of keeping them going through the winter very seriously. I wish I could feed other birds but we are very diligent about not attracting rats, which are always around here in the city. I would LOVE it if our neighborhood coyote would take up residence in our alley. I just have a little Sony RX100 iv with 200x. Anyway, one of our sweet Anna's.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 17, 2022 3:35 pm 
Someone spotted a dozen rare white pelicans at Padilla Bay on Thursday as a result when we arrived at Bayview State Park for a quiet camp in our ongoing plan to stay at every Washington State Park in the off season was thwarted. The campground was filled to overflowing and the surrounding roads were filled with parked cars, bikes, and pedestrians carrying cameras with long lenses that cost more than my truck. We escaped without killing anyone and drove up a relatively sane Chuckenut Drive to Fairview SP which had many empty spots.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

GaliWalker
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jan 17, 2022 4:45 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
We escaped without killing anyone
That's always a good metric. up.gif ~z

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostMon Jan 17, 2022 7:04 pm 
A few years ago I saw some White Pelicans in Crockett Lake by Fort Casey SP while waiting to catch the ferry to Port Townsend in July. They do show up in Western Washington on occasion. They are more often seen in Eastern Washington.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Jan 18, 2022 8:41 am 
I used to commute on the Edmonds/Kingston Ferry. Over nearly 30 years of ferry commuting, always keeping an eye on the water, I saw a pelican on two occasions. Both of those occasions were in the summer of 1998 when anomalously warm water made it all the way into Puget Sound. One of the pelicans was flying in the ferry turbulence draft.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Jan 19, 2022 7:25 am 
A dark-eyed junco and a black-capped chickadee in our cherry tree yesterday:
Snowy beak
Snowy beak

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani

day_hike_mike, Olympic Hiker
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:31 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Over nearly 30 years of ferry commuting, always keeping an eye on the water, I saw a pelican on two occasions. Both of those occasions were in the summer of 1998 when anomalously warm water made it all the way into Puget Sound.
Back in the mid-80's I was at Rialto Beach with a friend who spotted some brown pelicans. He thought that was too far north for them, although I since discovered the browns will get up as far as BC after breeding down south. But the white pelicans that Olympic Hiker saw and Malachi Constant spotted in Padilla Bay (Jan 17 post) were more unusual, per their habitat map: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_White_Pelican

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:31 pm 
Lots of brown pelicans hang around Westport in the summer. I enjoy watching them fly parallel to the shore in single file, with an occasional single diver. "A marvelous bird is the pelican/Its bill can hold more than its bellycan." (Ogden Nash)

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey

Anne Elk
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jan 21, 2022 4:20 pm 
Not quite "in my yard," but very nearby I saw a raven in the top of a tree. That is a first time visit to my street AFAIK. It was sitting up their croaking for several minutes. The crows were not very happy about it. I've seen them nearby at Boeing Creek Park and another neighborhood a bit northwest of me, but never right at my house. I was pleased to see it.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Feb 03, 2022 7:11 am 
A white-breasted nuthatch from yesterday:

Anne Elk
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Feb 14, 2022 6:29 pm 
A Downy Woodpecker from today:

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Feb 14, 2022 6:52 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
A Downy Woodpecker from today
Love the Downies! Have only seen them in Seattle when I lived in the Magnolia neighborhood, near Discovery Park. I fear Seattle's bird population is really diminishing with the loss of habitat because of the development riot going on ... trees, yards, etc. going away. Thanks for continuing to share your bird pics. So many species - do you live in a rural area, GW?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Feb 14, 2022 6:59 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
So many species - do you live in a rural area, GW?
Nope, in the city. The woodpecker seemed to like our tree, right outside the window.