Forum Index > Trip Reports > Red Rocks Nevada
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 8:46 pm 
I planned a desert trip with my family for a late Christmas present. Unfortunately, flight cancellations and huge delays put a big dent on our plans, especially going to death valley. We were sleep deprived and missed reservations to the Red Rocks the day before because we were still in Seattle waiting. We reserved another day at Red Rocks while on only a couple hours sleep to hope and see some really cool areas. The boys and I headed up towards Turtlehead Mtn Sunday morning, they were tired and turned around back to the car while I headed up to the top of the peak. Great views and a little snow in the shaded spots.
view from Turtlehead Mtn
view from Turtlehead Mtn
I went back down and met the family at the rental car and convinced my 3 kids to climb Red Cap, or Turtlehead Jr with me. Some fun scrambling was promised going through some cool desert canyons. Sahale and I stuck together while Jayden and Ryan tried their own way. We were off route for a while because we tried to go up too early. We eventually got back down to a trail with many people hiking on. Some little caves and pink sand were highlights for the off route. We gathered a little off the main summit route but saw a nice bouldery gully to gain the area East of the summit.
Turtlehead Mtn
Turtlehead Mtn
Sahale on some slabs
Sahale on some slabs
Sahale and I reached the boys near the ridge and the scrambling was about to get a little tougher. So, without a rope, I had Sahale sit down and watch us scramble up and then around to the summit. We could see and talk to her from the top but it was just a bit too much for her to be safe. Great views and a fun time getting a summit with Jayden and Ryan. We didn't stay long so we could get back to Sahale. She was super pumped to get as far as she got!
little pond on Red Cap
little pond on Red Cap
Ryan rounding the pond from the summit
Ryan rounding the pond from the summit
Jayden and Ryan at the summit
Jayden and Ryan at the summit
just love this watery desert view
just love this watery desert view
Ryan downclimbing
Ryan downclimbing
We quickly retraced our route down and took the main trail back to the car. Very fun hike on little sleep, it was certainly a highlight of our desert trip.
Sahale above a little water
Sahale above a little water
With the trip cut short, I still had to get some short hikes in while the family caught up on sleep. A nice surprise for some nice views, was Blue Diamond Hill. Lots of desert flora up high and wonderful views of the red rocks.
Red Rocks
Red Rocks
Although things didn't go as planned, it was a great time with the family. The main thing I try to do, is to give them a new experience in a new area. At least that was accomplished!

Eric Eames

MangyMarmot, Songs2, Gimpilator, GaliWalker, Mesahchie Mark, RichP, kite, Tom, awilsondc, rubywrangler  silence
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 pm 
Cool, I was there right before things got crazy. Neat place. No trouble getting a reservation on the spot.

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 10:05 am 
You might not remember the flight delays. You will always remember the family time!

Art is an adventure.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Jan 14, 2022 9:24 pm 
It’s so nice to see the kids out there having fun with you, Eric. They grow up so fast, enjoy them while you can!

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Jan 20, 2022 6:40 am 
Way to get out there with the kids