Forum Index > Pacific NW History > EO9066
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Feb 19, 2022 12:09 pm 
Today is the 80th anniversary of Executive Order 9066 which forced Japanese-Americans into concentration camps. The Seattle Symphony is performing the world premiere of a composition which focuses on that injustice. It is being offered to people as a free stream only today, Feb 19. Half of the program has music being played while photos of the camps and the relocation process are shown in the background. It is a wonderful presentation that offers homage to those who suffered during that difficult time. The link will take you to the access. https://www.seattlesymphony.org/en/concerttickets/calendar/2021-2022/eo9066-free

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 19, 2022 1:55 pm 
Last year we visited Manzanar the place where they interned Northwesterners of Japanese ancestry including US citizens. a very interesting museum has been built there. There are a number of Japanese gardens which have been excavated and somewhat restored the internees built at pass time while waiting for food. In the late 70’s while at China Lake I visited and the site had been razed by the government. I was taught nothing of this history in school but my parent’s told me about it. Unpleasant history should always be taught to avoid a repeat. Nie Wieder

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

seawallrunner, reststep
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Feb 19, 2022 9:18 pm 
I visited the Amache camp when I toured Colorado. Just the foundations and the cemetery are still there. In that somber setting it was heartwarming to see that the locale high school had adopted the cemetery. As a community service the lawn was cut and flowers were planted. Being the only green area around a box turtle had taken up residence there as well nibbling on the greenery. A number of the headstones had coins on the top.

oldwild

oldwild
PostThu Feb 24, 2022 9:54 am 
If you are ever in Bainbridge island (near Seattle) there is a beautiful memorial there at the place where the Japanese were loaded on the boats to go to the camps.