babylero
PostTue Feb 01, 2022 3:07 pm 
Ruby on 01.29

mike, uww, NWtrax, Nancyann, Cyclopath, Now I Fly, reststep, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Feb 02, 2022 7:26 am 
Making use of my annual permit for the Snoqualmie Tree Farm, I headed out yesterday for a road hike and bushwhack out on The North Fork Snoq. I parked at a gated connector Rd about 3.5 miles past Spur 10 directly below the cliffs of Lions Mane and headed over to the nearby Tolt mainline road. A few inches of snow covered the ground at first but melted throughout the day. Stopped by Black Lake before the hike up to "Devils Slide 6" or "Black Devil" depending on your source. The top was a sticker bush challenge but an old skid track helped. 8.4 miles and 954' gain.

Cyclopath, BensonM, mosey, Nancyann, reststep
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 05, 2022 6:09 pm 
Rattlesnake Ridge E-W traverse 11.3 mi 4000+’ gain C2C crowded to ledge 1, 0 ledge 2, 2 ledge 3, snow started continuous at log dump, saw 4 coming down East peak then no one until just before Grand Prospect. Deep snow on top traction helpful but not manditory, Foggy no views until Grand Prospect 3500’ ceiling. Good exercise smile.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Fedor, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 12:27 pm 
With low expectations headed to Bandera yesterday. Conditions were better than I expected so I looped it with Defiance. Suppose to warm up soon, so won't be as much fun for a spell. https://www.flickr.com/photos/44468754@N04/albums/72177720296491029

Malachai Constant
Fedor

Fedor
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 1:18 pm 
mosey wrote:
McDonald mountain is not as appealing.
???

BensonM

BensonM
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 1:45 pm 
A lazy report to share some conditions in the North Fork Snoqualmie Valley. I was out on Feb 6, 2022, hoping to get near Dog Mountain but suspecting that snow on the road would be a problem – and it was. I was able to drive to the point where 5700 intersects 5730. AWD is a must. After crossing the river on 5730, I took a right back on 5700 towards Bare Mountain / Dog Mountain. The snow got deeper as the road ascended and narrowed. There is a steep drop to the river on the south. The road crests and then descends back to the level of the river (almost). At the top of the crest, I bailed on my plans for Dog and backed my car down the hill, all the way back to 5730. I dreaded the possibility of getting stuck on the other side of the rise, with no way to turn around, and needing to back UP the hill in deep snow. I chose Loch Katrine as a beautiful plan B.
[/list]

Slim, LukeHelgeson, mosey, Now I Fly, Michael Lewis, Fedor, Nancyann, RichP
TK

TK
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 12:00 am 
babylero wrote:
Ruby on 01.29
Thinking of doing Ruby early in the morning this week via happy creek. Is snowshoes worth it?

mtn.climber
Fedor

Fedor
PostFri Feb 11, 2022 1:58 pm 
babylero wrote:
I'm interested. I did Ruby this past weekend and didn't even need snowshoes. Got the itch. Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:42 pm

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Feb 12, 2022 8:33 am 
Fun day on Rooster, aka "The Ark". Snow was a bit soft, but not too bad. We were out for about eight hours. Also, high clearance needed to cross the Taylor River Bridge. https://www.flickr.com/photos/44468754@N04/albums/72177720296628904
Our track
Our track

Fedor, RichP
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Feb 12, 2022 11:05 pm 
Wow.

Flickr | Strava

jaysway, half fast, Slim, Now I Fly, mike, RichP, awilsondc, Eric, Nancyann, Malachai Constant
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSat Feb 26, 2022 3:17 pm 
Granite Winter Route, West Granite, Pratt Mountain Traverse. Took advantage of the last full day of the recent high pressure for some extra miles. Took the Pratt Lake Trail back. https://www.flickr.com/photos/44468754@N04/albums/72177720296976039

ngie, zimmertr, RichP
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Mar 07, 2022 3:07 pm 
Bike ride along NF 110 and NF 5620 to Dingford Creek Trailhead. 03/06/22. Sunday I decided to check out the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie road to see how bad the overflow was. (discussion here) The weather was sunny, crisp, and clear. Beautiful day. I parked down at the Oxbow Loop area and offloaded my bike. I have an old school mountain bike with medium sized tires--not an e-bike or super fat tires and cushy suspension. So when the going gets tough I have to get off and push. haha I arrived at the Pratt River Bar closure and saw numerous vehicles in that parking spot. I think they were all down at the river because I saw no one on the road until near the Middle Fork TH. Soon I would be at the overflow location. When I arrived there was no water across the road. The road had been fixed! Awesome. This means I wouldn't have to drag my bike across the talus slope side-hilling to avoid the rushing stream and the deep ditch. I could bike as far as I wanted. Then I saw some folks ahead. Three guys were hiking the road and out enjoying the weather and views. They too were surprised that the creek damage had been repaired. We chatted briefly then I moved on. I arrived at the Garfield Ledges picnic area just beyond the bridge crossing the Taylor River. This area was wide open to the sun and views all up and down the river. I stopped and had lunch at one of the picnic tables. Soon the guys showed up and took their break there as well. It was quiet, serene, and very relaxing to hang out there. I had decided to see how far I could get on the road to Dingford--NF 110/5620. I had seen puzzlr's posts in the aforementioned thread and wanted to see how badly those washes had fared during the winter storms. Just about all of them looked manageable for a high-clearance vehicle. Then I arrived at the second to the last one crossing the road. It looked much deeper than in the past. Not only is it deep but the walls are steep and it has numerous loose boulders--bowling ball-sized and pumpkin-sized. This one would be a show-stopper for me. Hopefully the stake-holders/miners will get in there and knock it down a bit with their blade. On the way back I happened to notice that there is a mile-post there--Number 15. Not sure what the name is for that particular wash. I continued on to the parking area at Dingford Trailhead. It was a pretty rough ride in places. Otherwise it was beautiful to be along the river down below. I did run into two hikers coming up the road about 2 miles back. They were going to cross the MF at Dingford on the bridge and then hike the MF Trail back to the big bridge at the Middle Fork TH. After that I didn't see anyone until I re-arrived at Garfield Ledges Picnic Area. I started seeing more folks on the road then--people parked at the closure and out enjoying the quiet part of the road. Beautiful day on the Middle Fork. 4.8 miles to Garfield. 6 more to Dingford. RT = 21.6 miles. ~z

awilsondc, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Mar 11, 2022 9:40 am 
Took advantage of the road being reopened for a trip to Bessequartz and Quartz. Most of this trip is under the canopy but there are some nice views and interesting route finding. A stout workout too. Btw, we stay on the ridge tagging Bessequartz first. https://www.flickr.com/photos/44468754@N04/albums/72177720297285444

awilsondc, RichP, zimmertr
RichP

RichP
PostFri Mar 11, 2022 6:25 pm 
Visited a couple of drive up lookouts in eastern Wa today.
Lookout Mtn
Wellpinit Mtn Also hiked to the top of Carlson Hill in the Saltese Uplands Conservation Area near Spokane.

ngie, Now I Fly
neek

neek
PostTue Mar 15, 2022 8:26 pm 
Signs of spring at the arboretum today.

reststep, jaysway, zimmertr, JimK, half fast, Now I Fly, Tom, Nancyann, rubywrangler, RichP  Anne Elk, awilsondc