Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Troublesome Creek - Help fill in a strange blank.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostTue Apr 02, 2002 3:44 pm 
Found this entry in the washington geo records database search on blanca lake or silver creek. I posted the site address in the links section. Pytlak, S. R., 1970, Geology of the Blanca Lake area, Snohomish County, Washington: University of Washington Master of Science thesis, 45 p., 1 plate. DGER call number: QE3 P999s 1970 . Magill, Elwin A.; Schlagel, J. G., 1962, Copper deposits in the Silver Creek mining district, Snohomish County, Washington: U.S. Bureau of Mines Open-File Report, 59 p. DGER call number: DGER collection Ream, L. R., 1972, Economic geology of the Silver Creek mining district, Snohomish County, Washington: Washington State University Master of Science thesis, 59 p. DGER call number: QE3 R288L 1972 5. Shideler, J. H., Jr., 1965, The geology of the Silver Creek area, northern Cascades, Washington: University of Washington Master of Science thesis, 94 p., 1 plate. DGER call number: QE3 S555j 1965

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostSat Nov 23, 2002 9:03 pm 
More data from old mining maps for you Troublesome Creek fans. Methinks it originated from a mining journal or book? Got me grubby paws on this gem recently. Note peak names not used in the modern era.
Troublesome Cr mine map
Troublesome Cr mine map
And a bit more
And a bit more

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Pick & Shovel

Pick & Shovel
PostSun Nov 24, 2002 1:14 am 
I did a search on the name of the guy at the bottom of maps, J. E. Spurr. First of all Spurr is a good name to be associated with mining trails, is it not? http://www.evergreen.edu/library/govdocs/pdf/wadnr/biblio/snohomish/17march2000.pdf Spurr, J. E., 1903, Ore deposits of Monte Cristo, Washington. IN Emmons, S. F., Investigation of metalliferous ores: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 213, p. 22. Spurr, Josiah Edward, 1900, Ore deposits at Monte Cristo, Washington [abstract]: Science new series, v. 12, no. 310, p.884-885. Spurr, Josiah Edward, 1901, Ore deposits of Monte Cristo, Washington: U.S. Geological Survey Annual Report, 22nd, Part 2, p. 777-865. Spurr, Josiah Edward, 1902, Ore deposits of Monte Cristo, Washington: Engineering and Mining Journal, v. 74, no. 8, p. 240-241. Spurr, Josiah Edward, 1902, Ore deposits of Monte Cristo, Washington [abstract]: Mines and Minerals, v. 23, no. 2, p. 204-206.

IBEX

IBEX
PostSun Nov 24, 2002 3:16 pm 
Speaking of Spurr
Speaking of Spurr 1.2 miles magnetic north of the Monte Cristo town site, along the crest of Addison Mountain, is Peak 6640+. This highest summit between Gemini South Peak and Foggy Peak has a class 4 thumb-like summit tower and is identified in Beckey’s green guide as Pirate Peak. However, Mayors and McCollum’s guide, published the same year (1977), tells a different story: SPURR PEAK 6640-6680’ Spurr Peak commemorates Josiah Edward Spurr (1871-1950) of the U. S. Geological Survey, who examined the geology of the Monte Cristo area during August and September 1900. His ninety-page report published in 1901 forms the basis for all subsequent geological studies in this area. The rock is phyllite. The peak is unreported as having been climbed. PS. I have personal knowledge of an ascent in Sep88. (274k)

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jun 25, 2003 8:03 pm 
So of the people that have hiked to where the trail crosses the creek, is there a trail beyond that point, or do you pick your way through devil's club and boulders?

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 12:04 am 
Yeah, a trail keeps going on the west side of Troublesome Creek. Used to go up to some mines way up in the valley.

Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 2:58 am 
Boy, this thread has gotten me all jazzed up! I've been fascinated with the area including Monte Cristo, Silver and Troublesome Creeks since pouring over as many old maps as I could find, as well as the Washington Alpine Guide and Washington's Historic Mines. Most of what I've been able to find is nothing more than what y'all have mentioned here. The three routes I have lust in my heart for include: 1.) Troublesome Creek to Twin Lakes (I've checked out the map that includes "Lopper's proposed route to Twin Lakes" -- whew, a doozy!) 2.) Silver Creek to 76 Creek via Poodle Dog Pass (more established, less "inscrutable"??) 3.) A route to a certain mine steeped in history I will mention later, when I've finished printing some maps from Terraserver! I suspect the Troublesome Creek ramble is the most challenging -- BUSHWHACKER DELUXE! eek.gif
1906 Silver Creek Map
1906 Silver Creek Map

Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 3:31 am 
OK, last one for now... I'm fascinated by the mine site shown at extreme lower right. Up West Fork of Troublesome (mostly cut off from this map) and on northern flank of Hubbart peak (see first map I posted for better location in relation to TC) ... CK
Mineral City Map, w/ sites
Mineral City Map, w/ sites

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Jun 27, 2003 8:14 am 
Those old maps are awesome. up.gif

CampTrails

CampTrails
PostThu Aug 14, 2003 6:10 pm 
Possibly the Comet?
I don't suppose that the mine you're referring to is the mysterious Comet? Any idea how to get there? Heading up the OLD Silver Lake trail, there's an unmarked arrow on a tree, pointing up 76 Gulch. So that's probably the very beginning--but where from there? Any ideas?

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostThu Aug 14, 2003 10:32 pm 
Camptrails, I've been to the Comet Mine. It's not the easiest journey, in fact it's pretty dang rugged terrain. It's described in the book "Discovering Washington's Historic Mines", vol 1. We found it en route to Blake Notch on our climb of East Wilman Spire. It's not far from the spire area. There are still rails coming out of the mine towards the platform pictured in several Monte Cristo books. That platform had a shack on it, and the beginning of the long tramway to the five-story concentrator in town. Them miners was crazy! We found remnants of the big cable way up high (even used it as a climbing aid). Don't go up the Silver L trail. Instead, go up the 76 Basin trail (long abandoned). Or head up the ridge from Monte Cristo up Wilmans Peak, then cut over to The Count. Good luck!

Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostThu Aug 14, 2003 10:39 pm 
CampTrails wrote:
I don't suppose that the mine you're referring to is the mysterious Comet? Any idea how to get there? Heading up the OLD Silver Lake trail, there's an unmarked arrow on a tree, pointing up 76 Gulch. So that's probably the very beginning--but where from there? Any ideas?
Oh my, the mysterious Comet!!! My own personal El Dorado! My Lost Dutchman! OK, I'm being silly, but I've become almost obsessed with this mine site. I can't tell you how many hours I've devoted to determining the exact coordinates based on Beckley's book, the "Discovering Washington's Historic Mines" book, the book about Monte Cristo history and other sources. The fascination is partly because of the height of the location and how it is a daunting spot to get to -- any visitors must truly watch themselves because of the loose rock in that immediate area. Plus, the Wilmans Spires are just plain cool, and the various stories about this mine are so interesting and colorful. I've known, for quite a while, the approximate location and only recently nailed down what I think is the exact location of the bunker/ledge (I'm pretty sure) ... but I have yet to visit this site. Maybe this year (if a foot problem heals well enough) but by next year for sure. This is such a big topic for me I want to post a separate thread regarding routes already posted in various books and to ask if anyone has visited this site ... now going to index to post some pics and a new thread ... CK

Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostThu Aug 14, 2003 11:41 pm 
Sawyer wrote:
Camptrails, I've been to the Comet Mine. It's not the easiest journey, in fact it's pretty dang rugged terrain ... ... Them miners was crazy! We found remnants of the big cable way up high (even used it as a climbing aid). Don't go up the Silver L trail. Instead, go up the 76 Basin trail (long abandoned). Or head up the ridge from Monte Cristo up Wilmans Peak, then cut over to The Count. Good luck!
You must have posted just as I was sending my first post on this ... I would love to know more about that particular adventure if there's any more to tell! The cable must be the one that was seen as recently as what? ... 1971, was it? '75? When the last tram cable from the bunker fell during the winter. Yeah, them miners was crazy!! The story I really like was how one of the cooks used to ride one of the tram cars up to the Comet to deliver milk until a whipping tram cable sheared off one of his ears. I guess the Comet miners had to do without milk after that. Don't you know he went: "%$*&@!!! My ear! I knew I hated this delivery route!!!" CK

Mine Explorer

Mine Explorer
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 12:08 pm 
Much history up there...verified....

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 7:55 am 
Troublesome Creek trail, or Comet mine?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!