Forum Index > Trip Reports > Diablo Lake Trail: 03/26/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Mar 27, 2022 1:01 am 
This trail gets a bit of a bad rap since it doesn't follow the lakeshore, ends at a dam, and sits across the gorge from Hwy 20. But it's actually not a bad shoulder season trail and it has better views than you'd think. Left the TH around 3pm. As we entered the forest, we were greeted by the call of a thrush, which brought back fond memories of hiking through the woods on summer evenings. (Only a few more months!) Yellow and green moss lined the trail as it wound through the forest.
It seems that winter was rough around here. There were maybe a dozen or so blowdowns along the trail, but all were passable with care.
Deeper in the forest, we heard the unmistakable sound of a pileated woodpecker. My ears led my eyes to the tree above where he was hard at work.
About 1.5 miles in, mother nature had reclaimed the trail. We picked our way across the rocks to where the trail picked up on the other side.
Continuing upward, we passed large boulders and mossy talus fields before views of Colonial and Pyramid opened up.
Rounding the corner revealed the beautiful turquoise water of Diablo Lake 700 feet below. This was a neat section of trail. A couple of grouse lurked nearby, heard but not seen.
As I was admiring the gorge below, a hawk of some sort soared above.
Views of Jack Mountain appeared before the trail began its 800' descent to the shoreline.
After 500' of elevation loss, we reached a short spur trail to an overlook of Ross Dam.
We dropped down to the the suspension bridge and walked through the tunnel, ultimately finding a nice dinner spot at the edge of the gorge.
After refueling, it was time to haul ourselves back up the 800' feet we'd come down. Before long, we were high above the gorge again. After a pleasant few miles in the woods, we were back at the car just before sunset.
Stopped to check out the roaring water at Diablo Dam on the way out.
My GPS watch recorded 8.6 mi/1900' elevation gain. Not too shabby for 5 months post ACL reconstruction smile.gif

zimmertr, jaysway, call-151, Chief Joseph, Cyclopath, Slim, seawallrunner, Fedor, JimK, HitTheTrail, Nancyann, kw, half fast, Hiking addict, Now I Fly, reststep, ozzy, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostSun Mar 27, 2022 7:33 am 
Nice write up and pics. Good shot of the hawk of some sort.

Hiking addict
Cooper Warpula

Hiking addict
Cooper Warpula
PostSun Mar 27, 2022 8:48 am 
Diablo Dam used to be the tallest dam in the world before Hoover dam took its place in the 1930s. I love north cascades national park in the summer, excellent photos, especially the hawk soaring.

To have a good life, you need to take risks.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Mar 27, 2022 1:35 pm 
Very nice collection of photos Lauren, and congratulations on your quick recovery from your knee surgery, just in time for hiking season! up.gif

fourteen410
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Mar 28, 2022 5:14 pm 
fourteen410
KarlK

KarlK
PostSun Apr 03, 2022 9:06 pm 
It's a nice trail, i've enjoyed it many times and your pictures are divine...

Karl J Kaiyala
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Apr 13, 2022 5:21 am 
love that Aqua color of lakes