Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Animals in unexpected places
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
David

David
PostMon Jan 24, 2022 11:36 pm 
I’ve seen a cascade red Fox maybe a mile below the DOT station on 542 at Kulshan. This was probably three or four years ago.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 12:05 pm 
My wife and I saw a pair of red foxes among the shoreline boulders at Larrabee State Park in 1971. They remain the only red foxes I have seen in Washington, although I have seen gray foxes frequently in the state ( but probably only one fox for every 100 coyotes). I remember a few summers ago there were caution signs posted at Camp Muir about a gray fox that was stealing climbers' food out of tents up there. We buried our food under about 2 feet of snow as a deterrent ( worked).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:16 pm 
There are often red foxes at both Sunrise and Paradise at Mount Rainier.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostMon Mar 07, 2022 7:34 pm 
Ran across a Lynx or Bobcat on our neighborhood walk this evening. I thought at first it was a dog because it was very stocky from the back. Not concerned about us at all. We got to within 40-50ft of it and it casually strolled across the sidewalk in front of us and down somebody's driveway.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Mar 09, 2022 1:04 pm 
Bowregard wrote:
Ran across a Lynx or Bobcat on our neighborhood walk this evening.
I thought for a minute that I had a miniature leopard in my yard yesterday eek.gif I head a thump against the patio door and then my Tweety let out a yowl - what the heck? Sure looked like a wild cat, right up against the glass staring Tweety down. It was on the big side for a domestic cat but thin and didn't run off when I went to the door; turns out it was one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_cat Considering what these pedigreed felines sell for I sure wouldn't let mine go wandering around the neighborhood!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Cyclopath
glenoid

glenoid
PostFri Apr 08, 2022 10:45 am 
On my way to go fishing a Tucannon area Pond this AM, had to brake and stop to let a cougar with her three cubs cross the road. (The five jumbo rainbows were nice, but the cougars were an exceptional treat). Was about 5:30 AM on a paved road, before descending down a gravel road to the Tucannon. Pretty cool. (Have only seen two cougars in the past. One on the slopes of Mt. Constance, and the other down in the Wooten Wildlife Area.

seawallrunner, RichP  Bowregard  Anne Elk
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Apr 15, 2022 10:18 am 
Happened upon a Long-toed salamander while hiking around Coal Creek. Usually they hang out in the leaf litter and aren’t often seen. This was a male as it has glands under its chin that release pheromones. He rubs the glands against the female that increases her receptivity to mating. It is fascinating to read about the Ambystoma genus here. http://eherp.net/pdf/88410.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0YfrGsyJ69zeH-XuDTuE9U-lOTxguZZLeHBrcreAYiqqFLBeTd8Tmb04I I tried to get a picture of the glands but whenever I put him on his back he just flipped back over. At least he is showing you his long toes.

olderthanIusedtobe
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Apr 18, 2022 4:39 pm 
I see something in the salamander family, I think rough skinned newt, fairly regularly in lakes. I don't recall ever seeing a salamander of any kind out and about for a walk on dry ground, and I don't think I've seen any of the other types of native salamanders we have here in the NW other than the one (brownish back w/ bright orange belly).

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Apr 19, 2022 4:51 pm 
Something really unexpected (at least by me), but yesterday Cookie and I met a harbor seal right in the downtown Duvall, just swimming around happily in the Snoqualmie river, near to the shores of McCormick park. I since searched and turns out people see seals occasionally in the Snoqualmie river all the way up to Tolt in Carnation! This is very far from the ocean!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Apr 19, 2022 6:26 pm 
kitya wrote:
Cookie and I met a harbor seal right in the downtown Duvall, just swimming around happily in the Snoqualmie river
Yikes! I wonder if the poor little guy is short on fish and looking far afield??

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
ScottP

ScottP
PostWed Apr 20, 2022 11:27 am 
Last June (2021) I saw what I believe is a fisher or wolverine loping across the snowfields opposite the lunch rock at Lake Serene. It was the size of a bear cub, with longer legs, a small head and a short tail.

olderthanIusedtobe
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 2:49 pm 
ScottP wrote:
Last June (2021) I saw what I believe is a fisher or wolverine loping across the snowfields opposite the lunch rock at Lake Serene. It was the size of a bear cub, with longer legs, a small head and a short tail.
Cool. Could be hard to tell from a distance. Fishers are closer to the typical weasel family long, thin, tubular body shape. Wolverines are broad and stocky, more lending to a description of looking like a small bear I would think. Ah, short tail would seem to indicate wolverine as well. Wow, at Lake Serene. Lucky you!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 2:50 pm 
kitya wrote:
Something really unexpected (at least by me), but yesterday Cookie and I met a harbor seal right in the downtown Duvall, just swimming around happily in the Snoqualmie river, near to the shores of McCormick park. I since searched and turns out people see seals occasionally in the Snoqualmie river all the way up to Tolt in Carnation! This is very far from the ocean!
What did Cookie think? Harbor seals are adorable.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostFri Apr 22, 2022 10:25 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
What did Cookie think? Harbor seals are adorable.
Cookie agrees they are adorable! But she couldn't really focus on this one, because it was a bit far and in the water and Cookie has a very healthy distrust of water (unless it is in solid form, in that case she adores every amount of it).

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Apr 23, 2022 2:01 pm 
kitya wrote:
Many years ago, I remember a sea lion in Lake Sammamish. Traveled through Ballard Locks, Lake Union, Lake Washington and up the Sammamish Slough into Lake Sammamish

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want