Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > 18 WA place names to be changed, pubic comment through April 25
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostTue Apr 05, 2022 9:52 am 
The Dept of the Interior is looking to replace the 18 place names in WA state using the term "squaw". See Seattle Times Article. Residents can provide comments regarding the proposed replacements at the regulations.gov web portal. Note that the proposed names will pull the related place name only, not the feature type (so for example the first proposed replacement for the Squaw Lake west of Lake Wenatchee would be Little Wenatchee Lake, not Little Wenatchee River Lake) Folks can propose other names beyond those suggested, so people familiar with these areas may have better ideas than just a geographic replacement.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Apr 19, 2022 9:04 am 
I'm fine with getting rid of names that are now considered to be derogatory, but I wish they would be replaced with real names. I do not consider "cold," "bear, "big, or "trail" to even be real names, in addition to the fact that these will surely be confused with other places that have the same name. Why not identify the nearest Native American tribe and let them tell us the names these places have had for thousands of years? confused.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

zimmertr
domaz

domaz
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 8:45 am 
Sculpin wrote:
I do not consider "cold," "bear, "big, or "trail" to even be real names, in addition to the fact that these will surely be confused with other places that have the same name.:
Funny you say that because many feature names here come from Chinook Wawa and actually translate to names like this.. Lake Colchuck just means Lake "cold water" Skookumchuck River = Strong water etc..

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 21, 2022 9:32 am 
Sculpin wrote:
that are now considered to be derogatory,
Technically the word in question was always considered derogatory by the first peoples, at least the female ones, but this was ignored or embraced by the map makers. Imagine your country being invaded and the conquerors labeling local features "C-word" Lake, etc.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 12:59 pm 
Randito wrote:
Sculpin wrote:
that are now considered to be derogatory,
Technically the word in question was always considered derogatory by the first peoples, at least the female ones, but this was ignored or embraced by the map makers. Imagine your country being invaded and the conquerors labeling local features "C-word" Lake, etc.
thanks for the example.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 2:37 pm 
Definitely need to change the name of Squawfish, pretty sure they are very offended!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Gabep

Gabep
PostMon Apr 25, 2022 2:44 pm 
The American Fisheries Society did change it to Pikeminnow almost 30 years ago.

salish

salish
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 4:36 pm 
This is long overdue. As a person with a Native American mother and sister I have always resented the length of time it has taken to begin addressing this issue.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Brian Curtis, Bushwacker, Randito