Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jack Ridge 4/23-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 7:32 pm 
Jack Ridge 7800' I chose a conservative plan for Jack Ridge this past weekend. With the full on sunshine and recent snow, I decided to do this peak as an overnighter to give myself the best possible options for a successful summit. My plan was to get as far as I felt I could safely do, set camp and summit in the morning on frozen slopes. As always, plans change when figuring out the snow pack and conditions. I parked my truck along the Icicle Cr road well past 9am since I wasn't in a rush. I hiked the road 3 miles to the Eightmile TH along with many other hikers that day. It was obvious that not many were headed to the Eightmile Lake area by the lack of recent tracks, although there were a few. I lost the trail in the snow, put snowshoes on and ended up on the wrong side of the creek. Oh well, travel over down logs in snow wasn't too bad as I still got to Eightmile Lake. From there, I cruised across the frozen lake.
frozen Eightmile Lake
frozen Eightmile Lake
I reached the other end of the lake and had good travel throw the burnt forest. A nice crossing of the creek was had about 1/2 mile from the lake. Then, I decided to head up on a rising traverse towards possible high elevation camp spots below Jack.
views towards the upper basin
views towards the upper basin
Trail breaking was not too bad while traversing the slopes, I had much time left as I passed one particular spot I had thought about setting camp near 6k. I decided to get up higher and the snow was getting better despite the sunny day and sloppy conditions I was expecting in the afternoon. I spotted an area that looked flattish and that would be where I drop gear to set camp at 7K. It was just 800' below the summit to give me an easy summit in the morning if I wanted to wait. I set camp, got bored and decided to go for the summit since the snow was in great shape. Why wait for the next day when it can be done now! It was good travel to the North East ridge of the peak and then the snow on that side was way different. Sugary snow on the other side had me staying directly on the ridge. After a false summit bump and a little vertical cornice dodging, I made the summit to some pretty nice views in all directions.
Cashmere and Eightmile Pks
Cashmere and Eightmile Pks
I made a different way down than I came up, pretty much downclimbing in between the summit and false one facing in with snowshoes. It was better than it sounds and I made it back to camp. It was still really early and I contemplated packing up and setting my camp lower to make the next day easier, I fought those thoughts and enjoyed the awesome scenery and stayed up there for camp. It was cold and a little breezy, so I went to bed way before sunset.
camp and Stuart
camp and Stuart
Jack ridge with my tracks
I woke very early in the morning to frozen boots and water bottles. That was disappointing cuz I was very thirsty and took about 10 minutes to squeeze my feet in my boots. Oh well, I was on a mission to get to running water and headed down the mountain. As I got down to the valley, I found other snowshoe tracks, which probably came from Ozzy's group. Cool that they were out in the area on this nice weekend.
Sunday morning Stuart
Sunday morning Stuart
I got back to my truck a little after 9am and drove home to do some house chores. It was a fun 1st overnighter of the year for me, can't wait for more. 19.75 miles 6200' elevation gain

Eric Eames

Alden Ryno, Theboywhocriedroute, Cyclopath, contour5, Silas, Brushbuffalo, Now I Fly, jaysway, awilsondc, Gimpilator, Nancyann, silence, Eric Gilbertson, ONELUV1, reststep, Route Loser, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 8:22 pm 
Nice location. Great photos! Surprised to see the tent deployed.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Apr 27, 2022 11:07 am 
What? You are getting old if you don't git back to yo car while carrying overnight gear the entire time and never using it! Nice pics!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostWed Apr 27, 2022 7:34 pm 
Stefan wrote:
What? You are getting old if you don't git back to yo car while carrying overnight gear the entire time and never using it!
probably slower from the heartbreak of RW leaving town...

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Apr 28, 2022 1:31 pm 
Awesome trip! I remember years ago, when some buddies and I were doing Jack Ridge on a dreary spring day, we ran into you on your way to Eightmile.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 8:34 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
Eric, that looks so dang skiable!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 10:45 am 
That's a sweet looking camp Eric, beautiful country up there! That was a nice day and it's a shame we didn't run in to each other up there. Wish I would have been looking for you I'm sure we could have spotted you! Cheers on the super casual trip!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

Theboywhocriedroute