Forum Index > Trail Talk > MCclellan Butte From Mine Creek side
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostFri Aug 17, 2018 7:08 pm 
Has anyone tried hiking from Mine Creek to MCclellan Butte? I was up there today (Forest Road 9021) but did not go further than the top "lake", (more like a pond). But it looks like a simple hike on the logging road to get to the back side of MCclellan Butte. Also, does anybody know the story behind why the logging roads are wide open up there on Forest Road 9021? Two gates have been ripped out of the ground many years ago, and trash litters the logging road in several places. Shotgun shells are everywhere and remains of camp fires are in many corners. I also found a big "log winch" that is really pretty cool!
A log winch?
A log winch?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 3:31 pm 
I've wondered why the Forest Service does not gate off those roads, too. Or better yet, block them off with boulders, since gates are readily destroyed. The Mine Creek road would make a nice hiking trail if vehicles are kept out. Things up there have been a bit out of control for a long time.

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostSat Aug 18, 2018 6:08 pm 
whitebark wrote:
I've wondered why the Forest Service does not gate off those roads, too. Or better yet, block them off with boulders, since gates are readily destroyed. The Mine Creek road would make a nice hiking trail if vehicles are kept out. Things up there have been a bit out of control for a long time.
I would be more interested in hiking up there if I knew people could not drive up and shoot the hell out of....well everything in sight... rolleyes.gif

Juan del Bosque

Juan del Bosque
PostThu Aug 23, 2018 2:21 pm 
A several years back I was obliged to go up from the lakes to the McClellan trail. What happened was some target shooters set up shop at that landing where the road was decommisioned, about 3/4 mile from the lower lake. I wasn't going to risk a stray bullet while shouting for them to hold fire! There's a learning curve walking on the decommisioned road bed, but once you do it for while, you can get a fairly good cruise on. I followed it to the terminus and proceeded straight up through blueberries to the McClellan trail. I then went down McClellan to the John Wayne, and hoofed it back to Garcia where my car was. There's a lot to like the Mines valley, streams, lakes, spires, lush flora; I'll go back, but through McClellan next time. biggrin.gif

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostFri Aug 24, 2018 12:40 pm 
Juan del Bosque wrote:
A several years back I was obliged to go up from the lakes to the McClellan trail. What happened was some target shooters set up shop at that landing where the road was decommisioned, about 3/4 mile from the lower lake. I wasn't going to risk a stray bullet while shouting for them to hold fire! There's a learning curve walking on the decommisioned road bed, but once you do it for while, you can get a fairly good cruise on. I followed it to the terminus and proceeded straight up through blueberries to the McClellan trail. I then went down McClellan to the John Wayne, and hoofed it back to Garcia where my car was. There's a lot to like the Mines valley, streams, lakes, spires, lush flora; I'll go back, but through McClellan next time. biggrin.gif
As of a couple weeks ago it appears the shooters have painted white targets on the large boulders and are shooting straight into them. shakehead.gif (This is where the logging road ends and the bush whacking starts and is near the first pond). Good info there, thanks!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 1:23 pm 
Anyone have any photos of the Mine Creek lakes? I've been curious about them for a while.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Apr 29, 2022 3:08 pm 
207 (2)
207 (2)
At the tower, target shooters were aiming downhill at targets on the ground with no backdrop. Rounds were literally whizzing across the trail while I was descending. I was yelling at the top of my lungs until I passed by that zone. Nice... Were there active shooters in the area? Neat steam donkey! Be careful over there!

philfort

philfort
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 1:16 pm 
Almost all my interactions with target shooters have been bad. Can't think of another user group that is so rude, careless, unfriendly, etc...

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 1:33 pm 
Here are photos of the lakes. They're not very attractive because of the messy logging and road cuts around them. We did a loop around McClellan last October. There were 3 vehicles setting up for a shooting session at the end of the driveable road which is quite a ways into the Mine Creek basin. I didn't know that this road wasn't blocked by a gate but you need more than a standard SUV to get up there. They were friendly enough, but I was glad we got past them onto the decommissioned part of the road before they started firing. From the end of the road it was mostly steep talus up to the ridge and then a very short walk on the watershed border road before we could connect with the McClellan Butte trail to come down. We saw the steam donkey but not that shot-up car.
McClellan loop route
McClellan loop route
Lower Mine Creek lake
Lower Mine Creek lake
Upper Mine Creek lake
Upper Mine Creek lake

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

zimmertr, Cyclopath
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Apr 30, 2022 2:09 pm 
The steam donkey pic, looks like it's mostly there? Although it has just entered the "social media stream..." Every time I go back to the track hoe off Dingford, parts are missing. Why can't people let rust rest in peace? Correction: It's a "heel boom log loader" off Dingford Road. Thanks Monty!

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon May 02, 2022 8:03 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Here are photos of the lakes.
Monty, you're the best. Thanks so much for sharing these. Bummer the area attracts so many gunslingers. I had a similar experience near Spada last year. Probably 5 different groups out shooting right off the road that day. Right near signs saying "no shooting allowed".

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon May 02, 2022 4:23 pm 
Thanks so much Monty! You are an inspiration to get outside and explore!