Forum Index > Trip Reports > 4/29/22 Baring Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
abkoch3

abkoch3
PostTue May 03, 2022 11:55 am 
Celebrating the completion of a big doctoral deadline, I wanted to get out for a good hike after many months of sedentary life living vicariously through the exploits of others. Why not get back into things with a classic leg-buster?
Peak-a-boo summit
Peak-a-boo summit
Conditions and weather report looked reasonably friendly for Baring with the main concern being wet-loose activity if the sun came out. After a slightly leisurely start, mostly cloudy weather conditions staying cloudy, and feeling very out of shape, we took our time on the steeps, gaining the ridge in 80-90 min. Snow started consistently at about 3500' but we didn't use traction until later on the ridge when the boot path from a few days before was pretty icy. The basin had some lovely new snow (would make for some excellent turns but I wouldn't want to hike skis up that approach for such a short amount of skiing). I switched to snow shoes part way up to the col as I was punching through a frustrating amount.
So fluffy!!!
So fluffy!!!
Back to crampons for the snow wall and then relatively easy navigation up to the summit (also still corniced). Views were had to the north and a little to the east, but in a cloud otherwise. We did a mix of plunge stepping and glissading back to the basin. As expected, increasing sun breaks (naturally after leaving the summit) were causing trees to drop the new snow they got over night, some sloughing off the south peak, and roller balls/pinwheels so it was time to get out of there. Uneventful descent the rest of the way to close out my first real climb after the forced hiatus.
Transition for the 'wall'
Transition for the 'wall'
Nice to be back on steep snow (photo by MH)
Nice to be back on steep snow (photo by MH)
MH on the 'wall'
MH on the 'wall'
Grade eases off (photo by MH)
Grade eases off (photo by MH)
Summit views
Summit views
Merchant
Merchant

Cyclopath, Tom, Eric Gilbertson, reststep, Nancyann, RichP  awilsondc  ozzy
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue May 03, 2022 12:22 pm 
abkoch3 wrote:
Celebrating the completion of a big doctoral deadline, I wanted to get out for a good hike after many months of sedentary life living vicariously through the exploits of others. Why not get back into things with a classic leg-buster?
Wow. The things you can do "after many months of sedentary life..." Great photos BTW. Congratulations on making your deadline. You must feel great to have that load lifted. ~z

KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue May 03, 2022 9:42 pm 
I love Baring. Never done it in the winter. It's amazing how the snow can so drastically change the landscape. Thanks for sharing!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostWed May 04, 2022 7:53 am 
Five years I did huff skis up Baring. For, as like you, every time I climbed up that couloir, I thought how much fun it would be to ski it. Well. Five years ago I did..... But you are so right: For the 5 minutes it took me do drop the couloir. Sure wasn't worth the effort it took in the getting there.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.

abkoch3
abkoch3

abkoch3
PostWed May 04, 2022 11:45 am 
zephyr wrote:
Wow. The things you can do "after many months of sedentary life..." Great photos BTW. Congratulations on making your deadline. You must feel great to have that load lifted.
Thanks, zephyr. I definitely was pleasantly surprised at what my body allowed, but also have a long way to get back to moving quickly in that kind of terrain and not feeling trashed at the end. But yes, it is really good to have that deadline behind and know that pretty soon all of it will be in the rearview.
KascadeFlat wrote:
Never done it in the winter. It's amazing how the snow can so drastically change the landscape.
This was my first time up, but I figured snow in the couloir would be nice if the avy risk wasn't too bad. Definitely appreciated the glissades on the way down and love how the snow softens so much of the terrain. Might be a bit before I subject myself to that approach again though.
Celticclimber wrote:
But you are so right: For the 5 minutes it took me do drop the couloir. Sure wasn't worth the effort it took in the getting there.
Glad to have my suspicions confirmed, any lingering ambitions can be put to bed (but let's be real, there weren't really any left lol.gif). I think in the snow conditions we had, we might have been able to ski nearly off the summit down to the basin, but still wouldn't add enough value for booting in the skis on that first section. Kudos to you for trying it though. There was a rap sling and such on a different gully off the ridge and I had read reports about being able to ski the lower part from there as well, but still wouldn't be worth it to me I don't think.